Shortages, What Next

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Good morning

Most will be aware that for over 9 months used car prices have shot up in certain cases.

Food prices for some foods going up and may shoot up, EG flour/some oils

Car fuel prices up

Some watch brands up.

Computer consoles, some of them.

What else do you think will go up massively due to electronic chip shortages and the war in the Ukraine and Covid???

(Going down maybe property prices where they have overheated in areas where there are not many jobs especially when interest rates start going up again)

Sponsored Links
All the fires in food processing/storage plants in America are not helping. It is almost as if certain factors are conspiring to cause food shortages. Couldn't kill the population with a virus , denying medical assistance is not working, let's starve them or freeze them to death then.

proper little pair of conspiracists all of a sudden. Maybe there will be a shortage of vaccines......ooooh the perils.

All the fires in food processing/storage plants in America are not helping. It is almost as if certain factors are conspiring to cause food shortages. Couldn't kill the population with a virus , denying medical assistance is not working, let's starve them or freeze them to death then.

Or kill us all in a nuclear war.

Sponsored Links
Blimey, load of doom-mongets!.

In the supermarkets I go in (mostly Aldi, but recently JS where I live and Booths in Garstang), the thing that has been most notably absent is lettuce. In Booths, there was not a single lettuce and only one bag of prepped salad left which was a rip-off at £1.50. I also got the last 4 pack of Guinnless which was a lifesaver! :sneaky:

Other salady items are sometimes absent. The other things that I found absent were oils (excepting some olive oils, although their price was estupido). No doubt now that everyone is buying olive oil, that will get rarer and the price shoot up. The posh variety of rapeseed oil in Aldi is a good homegrown option and there was loads left, so although it too is dear, at least it is grown, processed and bottled here.

I have said it before on other threads and I will say it again here.
We should celebrate all the great foods we produce and concentrate on buying our own produce while foods produced outside the UK are scarce. It looks like food prices are going up, so we may as well spend our hard-earned on UK-sourced produce.

We have all got terribly spoiled in modern times by demanding to be able to buy all manner of produce at all times of the year.

We should rewind a few decades to the time when we all ate produce that was available from local growers in that particular season.

Surely that has to be good for our farmers and food producers?

Other items I have found lacking were sauces, BBQ, mayo etc .. and some frozen foods too.

Other items I have found lacking were sauces, BBQ, mayo etc .. and some frozen foods too.

there is a lot of stuff going short but it may be short one week and you get it the next

We've never encountered a problem with lettuce but have with fresh coriander for a while

What most have noted is the massive price hikes of up to 50% at a time on some items.

Battered fish gone up by 15%

Some breads by 8%
Milk up by a good 20%

The posh variety of rapeseed oil in Aldi is a good homegrown option and there was loads left, so although it too is dear, at least it is grown, processed and bottled here.
Use lard, healthier for you. Most cheap vegetable oil is rapeseed oil.
1651493978092.jpg

Last edited:
Am I the only person that thinks we were due a bit of a reset. Too many things have been far too cheap for far too long. Too much cheap disposable crap being carried half way around the globe. Lorry loads of lettuces going on one direction crossing with other lorry loads going the other way. These days people want everything immediately. I was struck the other day listening to a woman from (I think?) Poland, talking about cooking, who said the thing she noticed most when she came to the UK was that everything was available all the time. Where she came from things were seasonal and you managed with what was available at the time. I know the less well off will suffer the most but previous generations could teach a few lessons on adjusting.

Rapeseed oil is the best product for cooking and frying by about a million miles but - BUT - it must be cold pressed. Nothing but cold pressed.

Too many things have been far too cheap for far too long.

wages, for example, have not gone up in real terms in over ten years.

and with inflation and NI increases, are in real terms going down.

Go for mid-priced olive oil for cooking and a cobi rapeseed and olive oil light in colour for frying.

Years ago before we had the net my parents used veg oil and sunflower oil as dad was the only one that worked mum was a housewife and we I was younger of the lot almost and we had family around most days as mum looked after the grandkids as well as others worked and paid their mortgages. Mum never took a penny from anyone unlike these days. Some grandparents may not take money but they refuse to look after the grandchild for more than a couple of days.

Even some building materials in short supply a few weeks ago a builder working next door was moaning re cement.

We just cna't get builders at decent prices around here and put off projects for a new enuite, new shower room and and many new internal doors.

There has been a lot of price hikes on a number of raw materials. Even processed such as stainless steel. Indonesia has banned the export of palm oil as their own people can't afford it any more. They are a major producer. That creates a shortage of another one.

Sponsored Links
Back