Smart Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SSE are looking to fit their smart meters to my house. Can I refuse? I can only see conditions that state I can refuse my data being transmitted, but can't see anything regarding refusal of installation.

Sponsored Links
Make sure your out when they turn up to fit them ? They can't fit them if no one is in as they have to purge & relight (for gas) so would need access inside.

Not only refuse but resist all of there future attempts at fitting these devices until they become legally compulsory.

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something? I have been hounding my energy company to fit it for me. They can't fit it quick enough. Why are you against it? Surely it makes life easier

If your worried about big brother I recommend not to ever leave your house. :D

I have to check my meter every month and submit the reading just something that could be automated so who cares who has the info? I don't mind if anyone knows how much gas and electric I use I still have to pay for it at the end of the day.

I love a good conspiracy but I think you are a bit paranoid :eek:

If your worried about big brother I recommend not to ever leave your house. :D

I have to check my meter every month and submit the reading just something that could be automated so who cares who has the info? I don't mind if anyone knows how much gas and electric I use I still have to pay for it at the end of the day.

Would you mind paying a split rate for your electricity, along the lines of cheap during the day when you're all out but expensive at night when you're all snuggled up in front of your goggle box?

How about a 14yr old hacker just cutting you off for no apparent reason . . . or even your Guv'mnt rationing your supply for no apparent reason other than a perceived & hysterical environmental issue.

P.S. Enjoy your sleep.

If your worried about big brother I recommend not to ever leave your house.
Some things are unavoidable.

I have to check my meter every month
Why?
and submit the reading just something that could be automated so who cares who has the info?
I don't care who has yours.

Also automated will be things like:
Remote disconnection,
Supply limitation,
Timed variable pricing,
I don't mind if anyone knows how much gas and electric I use I still have to pay for it at the end of the day.
That will include the £300+ cost of the thing.
Do you want to be controlled by having limited supply and availability and higher cost at meal times?

Ask yourself why they want to do it.
Is just because they can good enough reason?

That doesn't mean I'm wrong.

All speculation. While you say it doesn't mean you are wrong it also doesn't mean you are right.

Every person I have spoken to in person who has had a smart meter meter has been able to bring there bills down now they no longer get estimates and are able to monitor usage and change habits accordingly. This includes myself for my electric, I have been sending email after email threatning cancellation if they do not fit one on my gas.

Other than speculation you have posted here I have heard nothing bad of them, are you able to post some links to stories or instances of what you are saying has happened?

The older generation usually do not like change (not that I know your age). I remember when wifi started going big and people held out for ages thinking they would have hackers sitting outside there houses, best thing since sliced bread. :D

I'm with Dork Lard and EFLImpudence on this one. I like to know that no one has ability to turn off or alter my supply without my knowledge plus the way hackers are going these days smart meters will soon be targeted. After all if they can be bothered to hack light bulbs (Phillips smart bulbs - see the article in theregister.co.uk ) smart meters must be on their list.

I'm with Dork Lard and EFLImpudence on this one. I like to know that no one has ability to turn off or alter my supply without my knowledge plus the way hackers are going these days smart meters will soon be targeted. After all if they can be bothered to hack light bulbs (Phillips smart bulbs - see the article in theregister.co.uk ) smart meters must be on their list.

Thank you.

The real truth & the real reason they want smart meters installed will not become apparent to those who are asleep until it's too late.

Domestic electricity usage is plummeting at an alarming rate. They are VERY worried that this particular revenue stream & a good way to control our lifestyles is brought back into their control.

Thank you.

The real truth & the real reason they want smart meters installed will not become apparent to those who are asleep until it's too late.

Domestic electricity usage is plummeting at an alarming rate. They are VERY worried that this particular revenue stream & a good way to control our lifestyles is brought back into their control.

More speculation... please provide some form of evidence?

I would be happy to switch my opinion had I seen something to prove what you are saying.

All speculation. While you say it doesn't mean you are wrong it also doesn't mean you are right.
So, you don't know.

Every person I have spoken to in person who has had a smart meter meter has been able to bring there bills down now they no longer get estimates and are able to monitor usage and change habits accordingly. This includes myself for my electric, I have been sending email after email threatning cancellation if they do not fit one on my gas.
You mean you did not realise if you turned off unwanted items you saved money.

Other than speculation you have posted here I have heard nothing bad of them, are you able to post some links to stories or instances of what you are saying has happened?
Well, of course not. It's not possible yet.

The older generation usually do not like change (not that I know your age).
You can take it as very old.

I remember when wifi started going big and people held out for ages thinking they would have hackers sitting outside there houses,
They won't need to sit outside your house.
Smart meters are not wi-fi; they're on the telephone network.

So, what about all the hacking that has occurred?

best thing since sliced bread. :D
Not in the hands of undesirables. I include Government and Energy companies in that.

Sponsored Links
Back