Soil pipe & flexible ducting leak

Need to see the photos but sounds like a bodged up connection to an exterior SVP (soil vent pipe). If the flexible ducting has been used to come straight off the top of the highest branch to the wet soil pipe to wc then it's a bodge.

Perhaps it is a bodge. It was like this when we moved in 3 years ago but only just started leaking.

I cant really get to the main horizontal soil pipe but i can get to the section where it goes through the wall.

Sponsored Links
C58BEE5B-3662-49F4-AE2E-0CD3B916C37E.jpeg
C58BEE5B-3662-49F4-AE2E-0CD3B916C37E.jpeg
Excuse the awful pic but it looks like this...

Given it’s only on the vent section of the soil pipe, it will be condensation/rain. If the vent section starts in your loft, I would say the easiest and cheapest way would be to fir an air admittance valve.

Sponsored Links
Given it’s only on the vent section of the soil pipe, it will be condensation/rain. If the vent section starts in your loft, I would say the easiest and cheapest way would be to fir an air admittance valve.

Thanks.

The main vent section at the other end of that flexible pipe is in the void but quite hard to get to.

Is fitting an air admittance valve fairly easy?

Just thinking, height may be a prob for the AAV as where it would need fitting is where the roof pitch comes down to the eaves. I havent crawled to that area yet but as you can see in the pic, there is a huge timber trimmer in the way.

The AAV would need to go up high??

Yes relatively easy. You just need room to cut the soil pipe (if required) and use either a push fit type or solvent weld type. If possible you could extend the soil pipe into the loft and then fit air admittance valve, but if you can get at it just fit it there.

FYI - it does only work on a vertical section.

Height shouldn’t be a problem. AFAIK you can fit quite low down.

Yes relatively easy. You just need room to cut the soil pipe (if required) and use either a push fit type or solvent weld type. If possible you could extend the soil pipe into the loft and then fit air admittance valve, but if you can get at it just fit it there.

FYI - it does only work on a vertical section.

Thanks

Im kinda assuming that the flexible ducting thats there has been attached to a small vertical section on the other end of the stack. So maybe its a case of removing the flexi pipe & push fitting the AAV?

It's worth remembering that a vented foul drain may still need to be vented - an AAV won't vent the system.

Personal rule is that if the system is vented and any alterations are made then ensure that the venting is maintained.

Personal rule is that if the system is vented and any alterations are made then ensure that the venting is maintained.

The original soil pipe system has been altered due to building works. The old system had a vertical soil pipe that vented outside.

The new soil pipe runs horizontally with a fall then venting through a wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back