Soil pipe & flexible ducting leak

That flexible vent duct could be holding water where it is sagging and could be pulling on the top taped/tied :cry: join.

Seen flexible vent duct's used like that (n) a few times.

Sponsored Links
The original soil pipe system has been altered due to building works. The old system had a vertical soil pipe that vented outside.

In that case I'd recommend that the vent is maintained on the system but this time using approved fittings rather than the extractor vent hose/cable ties and gaffer tape bodge.

In that case I'd recommend that the vent is maintained on the system but this time using approved fittings rather than the extractor vent hose/cable ties and gaffer tape bodge.

Thats what im thinking. Im happy to look at this but might struggle to access the main soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
That's horrific, if it's going to require dismantling your roof to do it properly, can you tap in a vent elsewhere into the system and fit an AAV elsewhere or at least remove that outside connection and put an AAV on the end of the bodge pipe?

That's horrific, if it's going to require dismantling your roof to do it properly, can you tap in a vent elsewhere into the system and fit an AAV elsewhere or at least remove that outside connection and put an AAV on the end of the bodge pipe?

If i can get to the main pipe and where that flexible ducting connects i guess i could try fitting new plastic pipe between the two or maybe an AAV if that’s permissible

If i can get to the main pipe and where that flexible ducting connects i guess i could try fitting new plastic pipe between the two or maybe an AAV if that’s permissible
Yes an aav would be permissible if there's a vent elsewhere in the system. You wouldn't design it that way but it's better than presently! If you only put an aav, you can end up with water bubbling in your traps from the pressure of the sewer gases if there's any surcharging in the unventilated section

Yes an aav would be permissible if there's a vent elsewhere in the system. You wouldn't design it that way but it's better than presently! If you only put an aav, you can end up with water bubbling in your traps from the pressure of the sewer gases if there's any surcharging in the unventilated section

I think its prob best i try to fit plastic pipework in place of the flexible stuff

If that was done as part of building work recently, I'd tell the Builder you want it sorting properly. It is nothing more than a cheap bodge, hoping you wouldn't notice. No respectable Plumber would leave that behind.

Last edited:
If that was done as part of building work recently, I'd tell the Builder you want it sorting properly. It is nothing more than a cheap bodge, hoping you wouldn't notice. Mo respectable Plumber would leave that behind.

It was done before we bought the house. I just want to put it right somehow

06A5C1E8-C7D9-486A-BEF0-45ED8D4CE7B5.jpeg
17EB2FF0-0FCC-444F-8C85-4599135EFF26.jpeg
Right. I managed to shove my way down the void to the other end and this is what i can see. Just about!

Looks bodged to f*ck

The good thing is that it looks like a proper connector which has enough visible to connect on to properly. If you remove the duct and it's an intact socket connector then you can get a couple of 15 or 30 degree connectors to get it off the ceiling and a couple of 90s to lift it up to the outside pipe plus a length or two of 110mm pipe. You'll need to add some timber and screw some clips in to support every metre or two.

Yes push fit well be way easier as it's dismountable, and it works with the same pipe. You'll need some lube though.

Ok thanks.

The connector will prob be normal type im guessing so would need to use solvent weld to fit the first connect to it?

Looks like a 135 degree connector to get started will allow the pipe to raise above that large timber then a few other connectors, a length of pipe & some brackets.

What size pipe would this be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back