Speed Limits

Sponsored Links
The point I made is quite valid, if you choose to play the fool then good luck to you.

It would be just as easy to interpret your comments as to not knowing the roads as using for an excuse to drive poorly.

Replace the first if with when and it might translate into what Softus meant.

But it still boils down to the fact that speed on its own does not kill; inappropriate use of it does and whilst going faster than a posted speed limit may not necessarily be inappropriate (but illegal, obviously), going at the speed limit in adverse conditions may well be.

Cameras deal only in absolutes and not in individual conditions present at the time.

Sponsored Links
I am all for sensible speed limits - but it is very difficult in most situations to actually know what the speed limit actually is. If you miss ony one sign, that is all you have to do, because it is usual not to give any other indication of the change of speed limit. And Please no one come back and say I should be watching for the signs, believe me I always am, but traffic conditions all so often are such that you miss one or two of them.
Instead of spending all the money on speed cameras, how about a speed disc on, say, every third lamp post, then we will all know what the limit is.
I have been caught speeding twice, and both times I genuinely thought I was in a 40 zone but infact had slipped into a 30 zone, although the road conditions had not changed, the speed limit had.

This is such an easy one to answer ... Speed cameras make money for cash strapped LA's.

If they invested it in making the roads safer (in any form but more dibble would be good) then I probably wouldn't have an issue with them popping up everywhere.

Truth is though that they won't

MW

Fair comment Megawatt - In my blissful naivety, I thought they were trying to make a safer environment - Unfortunately I have to totally agree with your analysis.

Exactly how much money do they raise MW? You keep on telling us about it. Is it £billions?

The revenue from speed cameras averages £100 million per year. Approx 90% goes back into the safety camera partnerships, 10% goes to the treasury

The point I made is quite valid
Only if you change the words to make it mean something different.

It would be just as easy to interpret your comments as to not knowing the roads as using for an excuse to drive poorly.
My comments don't need interpretation - they say what I mean and they mean what they say.

Novice drivers are commonly poor drivers. It's a fact of life. To wit, your "If..." post wouldn't have had less value if it had been sung by Telly Savalas. Badly. In the Seventies. While wearing a cravat and a strained smile.

Thanks Snico though Joe was being facetious.

Does it matter how much it is Joe?

The fact is it isn't being spent on road safety and I thought that you of all people would take issue with that unless you are actually so closed-minded that speeding and oil are the only things you care about?

MW

I am all for sensible speed limits - but it is very difficult in most situations to actually know what the speed limit actually is. If you miss ony one sign, that is all you have to do, because it is usual not to give any other indication of the change of speed limit. And Please no one come back and say I should be watching for the signs, believe me I always am, but traffic conditions all so often are such that you miss one or two of them.
Instead of spending all the money on speed cameras, how about a speed disc on, say, every third lamp post, then we will all know what the limit is.
I have been caught speeding twice, and both times I genuinely thought I was in a 40 zone but infact had slipped into a 30 zone, although the road conditions had not changed, the speed limit had.

DFT said:
...The 1994 Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions simplified the requirements for the placement of terminal and repeater signs used to indicate a speed limit, and introduced some new prescribed sizes. The intention was to give greater flexibility in the placement of signs. This would overcome the situation where signs placed marginally too far apart have had the effect of making the limit unenforceable The 1994 Regulations thus specify simply that signs should be placed at regular intervals...

For 30 mph lit roads, no repeaters are permitted under the regulations (Direction 10(2)(a)). On lit roads subject to any other speed limit (other than 20mph speed limit zones), including the national speed limit, repeaters must be used. Table 1 gives recommended distances between such signs. (National speed limit signs are not required on motorways)...
The source with tables ...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal/signsandsignals/speedlimitsigns
:cool:

Thanks Snico though Joe was being facetious.

Does it matter how much it is Joe?

The fact is it isn't being spent on road safety and I thought that you of all people would take issue with that unless you are actually so closed-minded that speeding and oil are the only things you care about?

MW

So it isn't a cash cow for Local Authorities after all then? Well fancy that.

The revenue arrangements for the camera partnerships & LA's is in the public domain for all (even you) to see if you'll stop being churlish for a second.

But you don't seem able to tell me just how much these 'cash cows' actually contribute to the coffers. Why is that? Let's have a little proof please.

Sponsored Links
Back