Stormzy scholarship

I brought some Scottish Salmon Jerk on offer from Sainsbury last night.

That's really out of order. Unless of course the Scottish salmon were hooked and Jerked in Jamaica then shipped to my local Sainsbury.

That would then be Jamaican Jerk not Scottish jerk

jerked in the country of origin....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its a style of cooking, bit like tandoori.
If I cooed a meal, say in a frying pan, called it tandori and sold that meal as tandori, it would be cultural appropriation, because it is not cooked in a tandori style.

Just because it was used in Jamaica is irrelevant as the people using it were African.
It is exactly what Jamie Oliver has done, cooked a meal, called it 'jerk rice, and sold it as such, but it does not have the ingredients used in a Jerk sauce.
'Jerk' refers to a type of marinade used to flavour meat. It is not a sauce to be poured over rice.
People were quick to point out that this dish doesn’t really fit that description and neither of the main jerk spice ingredients were even listed on the product.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...t/news-story/8232346aa26a6c61a297fbac84b9f55f
It is cultural appropriation used to fashionise a meal to make it more appealing.

He would not be allowed to make a pastry, with a meat filling and call it a Cornish pasty.
Nor would he be allowed to make a pie and call it Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

'Jerk' refers to a type of marinade used to flavour meat

As I understand it 'jerk' is a translation of charqui meaning dried strips of meat.

So it was cultural appropriation by Jamaicans who nicked it from Peru .....what goes around :ROFLMAO:

I might create a jerk cornish pasty (y)

As I understand it 'jerk' is a translation of charqui meaning dried strips of meat.

So it was cultural appropriation by Jamaicans who nicked it from Peru .....what goes around :ROFLMAO:

I might create a jerk cornish pasty (y)
Jamaican Jerk is a marinade, African/Australian jerky is dried strips of meat. I believe it is 'jerky', not jerk.
Now which do you think Jamie Oliver was culturally appropriating with his Jerk rice? :rolleyes:

Jamaican Jerk is a marinade, African/Australian jerky is dried strips of meat. I believe it is 'jerky', not jerk.

I believe it is jerk:

The eytomology of the word jerk is unclear. The authoritative hypothesis is that it is from a Spanish word that was derived from the Peruvian word charqui. This is the word used to describe dried strips of meat by the indigenous natives of Peru. It is believed that these people passed the knowledge of preserving meat this way throughout the Caribbean.
http://bostonjerkcenter.com/jerk-history/

The most flavoursome Jerk rice Ive ever had was in Boston, Jamaica.

Even better than my local Indians authentic frying pan tandori.

Jerk isn’t covered by a protected geographical indication, cornish pasties are. He can continue to jerk off over his rice and call it what he likes

15348868943498364546499330358558.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back