Supermarket Food

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day, i was watching a pig farmer going around feeding the animals, putting in new straw etc,, really dedicated, spending manys hours a day looking after the animals, in these sub zero temperatures.

He then probably sells them on to the supermarkets for a pittance, who then sell them on to us for a fortune.

Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc rip farmers/food producers off big time in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc rip farmers/food producers off big time in my opinion.

It's actually the consumers who rip the struggling farmers off in their quest for cheap food which in turn allows them to maintain the X5 and go on two foreign holidays per year.
The big supermarkets are only responding to demand.
And the more the price is driven down, the more farming becomes industrialised and the more the animals suffer.
Consumer demand is the ultimate driving force.

You can get your cheap food in one hand but have to pay out in the other to subsidise your farmers.
If you were really clever you could pay your farmers the proper price for their produce and not pay any subsidies.
But that would leave too many fat cats with out a job.

Busby28I

I have to agree, supermarket food is incredibly cheap.

How they manage to sell things like eggs and milk at the prices they do must cripple the farmers.

and when you go to a farmers market they charge more than the shops

Sponsored Links
The supermarkets are expanding all the time at the expense of the high street. :cry:

The councils are sweetened into giving planning consent by the supermarkets by paying for road improvements and other amenities in the area. :rolleyes:

Only farms round this way are sectioned off and let out as industrial units.

The supermarkets are expanding all the time at the expense of the high street. :cry:

The councils are sweetened into giving planning consent by the supermarkets by paying for road improvements and other amenities in the area. :rolleyes:

Come on Bahco. There's only Tesco that's trying to flood Britain's streets with Tesco stores.
There's a Tesco Express opening near everyone in the New Year. ;) ;) ;)

The most stupid name too. The only Tesco Express's I've been in are hardly express speed. One checkout open and 20 staff stocking the bloody shelves.

How they manage to sell things like eggs and milk at the prices they do must cripple the farmers.

To survive on an egg producing farm, a producer requires two 1020sq/m holding units, each packed with 8000 hens. These are free range with pop holes for the hens to go outside if they so wish. (providing the farmer lets them out. Not all of them do)

Each holding unit will cost about 130k so it's a massive investment and commitment.
When you build the first one, its only capable of paying off the debt on its self, which takes about 5 years.
Mean time the producer will have another job in order to survive and pay the bills. When the second one is built (providing the planners, poultry processors and the bank give you the go ahead) things get easier and the third, fourth and so on.

Takes about 2 hours per day to gather the eggs in one holding unit.
An auto egg packer costs 20k and many are going down this route.

Farming is a dying industry in the UK. Theres only 150,000 farmers left and most are age 60 or over. A hundred years ago there were ten times as many with half the mouths to feed.
Oil drives the current situation and when that runs out(as it will) there will be havoc.
One calorie of food requires 10 calories of oil to be burned to produce it in our modern world.

Back in the 50`s a family spent a LOT on food and a Little on housing(rent )- now the situation is reversed - Because of The Property Owning Democracy :LOL: :LOL: It`s what we all wanted - now we got it :mrgreen: Bugger all to do with Oil

It's actually the consumers who rip the struggling farmers off in their quest for cheap food which in turn allows them to maintain the X5 and go on two foreign holidays per year.
What qualifies you to make such observations of consumerism, apart from living in the land of grossly fat consumers of course? Further, what qualifies you to comment on 'British people' and their consumer preferences?

Ah - the land of Grossly Fat Consumers ( GFC) where the GDP is outstripped by CCC credit card consumerism :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back