Taking a homeowner to court

Do they take drugs at these parties? Is there a sad smell in the air, like a mixture of parley, sage, rosemary and dogshit? The police might be more likely to come out if there are drugs, especially if there are children around too.

Sponsored Links
You can sue noisy neighbours:
http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=73
http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=305
It's the same thing the council will do.

But.. I wouldn't. I'd leave it up to the council.
No you can't sue just because you don't like the "noise". It's not America.

It has to be a nuisance, and not just something you don't like. It's a house doors away, and on the face of it its just a few social gatherings, and a chicken. The question would be if it was an actual nuisance, "Why has no-one else complained and why haven't the council done something about it under their powers?"

No you can't sue just because you don't like the "noise". It's not America.

It has to be a nuisance, and not just something you don't like. It's a house doors away, and on the face of it its just a few social gatherings, and a chicken. The question would be if it was an actual nuisance, "Why has no-one else complained and why haven't the council done something about it under their powers?"
Is it just 'noisy'? A drum kit in the garden is quite a lot, at 2am!

Some councils are pretty bad, due to being a bit thick as well as costs cut. Been there myself with pubs which got seriously out of hand and to be honest, despite the police getting involved last year after a few very violent incidents that the council still haven't done much. They still haven't changed any terms to the licensing or made any effort to collect their own evidence but have installed CCTV in the street. But I do know that their 'out of hours' staff are available once every 3 weeks due to cutbacks...
Other councils, when faced with such anti-social behaviour and years of many complaints by the residents would actually start doing something because they do have the powers, as you say. Some councils just can't be bothered.

And yes, you can complain if music/noise is going on too late, too loud if it keeps going on and on. As I said, I personally wouldn't do anything with the courts but it is possible but leave it to the council as it's the same process. If the OP did take his neighbour to court, he'd need a lot of evidence where the noise is unacceptable in his home and it would be better if his neighbours got together because it's certainly strength in numbers.

I think too, unless you've been there that it's harder to understand that relentless loud music and noise into the small hours can get you down and have a real negative impact on your life. And while it's good to be a bit patient & understanding with noisy neighbours, why doesn't that respect seem to work both ways?

Sponsored Links
on the face of it its just a few social gatherings, and a chicken.
Reminds me of that joke: "What's the difference between kinky and perverted?"

"Kinky is where you use the feather and perverted is where you use the whole chicken!"

You’re not going to get much action during lockdown. You need to work with your neighbours to coordinate the complaints. The council can ignore one but not a bunch.

there are legal options but you are much better getting the police and council to act than trying to get injunctions and damages.

You’re not going to get much action during lockdown. You need to work with your neighbours to coordinate the complaints. The council can ignore one but not a bunch.

there are legal options but you are much better getting the police and council to act than trying to get injunctions and damages.
this is the key, if two or three can complain independently - you will get action.

Don't get me wrong. AFAIK , these guys have been staying in those properties since Thatcher's £1 a house or whatever it was . Even though they don't tend to their houses, they are much more civil than Mr.X who owns his house.

I have nothing against parties if it ends at 11PM or even at midnight. I can't even begin to explain how difficult it it is to go to sleep with your windows closed and a circus going on outside.

With the council out of action, I still have to endure noise from Mr. X

I have bought some acoustic caulk and put it round the window and this has reduced the noise a little bit. Is there further things that can be done for noise reduction?

Headphones and your favourite music

That sounds the same as bricking up my window!
I have seen mentions of soundproof films, foams, inserts and curtains on Youtube but most of the products are only available in the US!

I think I'm right in saying that if you start making too much of a fuss when you do move you will be asked to disclose and letters you have sent (or have actioned others to be sent) to your neighbour.

It's c##p I know (believe me I do know) but I would wait it out and move once lockdown is over.

I think I'm right in saying that if you start making too much of a fuss when you do move you will be asked to disclose and letters you have sent (or have actioned others to be sent) to your neighbour.

It's c##p I know (believe me I do know) but I would wait it out and move once lockdown is over.

Screw that!
I wouldn't move because my neighbour is a dog.
Make his life hell first if you really have to.
Loud classical music at 3am always have an effect.
Do it in short bursts.
Also, during wild parties people drink and get upset, so sometimes they key cars and even stick nails in the tyres.
All things that happen..............
Don't move unless you want to.

Sponsored Links
Back