Tax cuts for the rich, hurrah!

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
The IFS has taken a look at it all. Their man sees it as a worthwhile gamble. The gamble gets mentioned by a number of sources. It needs the economy to really grow. If it does ok. If not we may finish up in a debt trap. :) One point he made was tax can always be increased.

The power subsidies are an entirely different subject. Effectively a loan that we will be paying back.

There will be no QE only real borrowed money. The BofE is selling

;) I'm not surprised going on their current books I saw recently but a complex subject. As QE is.

Then newscasters ask about the gov trying to boost the economy while the bofe is cutting it back via base rate increases. Seems there are more to come.

Another interesting comment, from a Conservative too.

But former Conservative chancellor, Lord Kenneth Clarke, said the plan risked driving up inflation without helping the economy to grow.
Speaking to BBC Radio 4's the World this Weekend programme, Lord Clarke said he did not accept the premise "that you make tax cuts for the wealthiest 5%, and it makes them work so much harder, and rush to invest, and it pays for itself or even attracts investment into the country".
"I'm afraid that's the kind of thing that's usually tried in Latin American countries without success," he said. "If it was so simple, we would have got rid of taxes altogether some time ago."
"What the increased spending power that you give to the better-off 5% is going to do, is run the risk of further stimulating inflation. And we're going into a serious inflationary recession this winter."

But let's pretend trickle down is a good move.

Sponsored Links
Edit: 1970 there was one council house for every ten people. In 2022 there is one for every 44 people. Which is pretty depressing.

And not many of them are houses.

They are mostly the homes nobody wanted to buy.

Think of Grenfell.

I don’t have a mortgage :cool:

Fortunately surrey is full of people that have got a few Bob and we work for some of em

Several multi millionaires

If others are so concerned about the plight of the poor in the UK they can volunteer to pay extra tax ?

On top of what they are already paying ?? Simples ?

All those living on a private pension
Well yeah

We’re did the pension scheme invest your contributions

And what did it invest it in ??

Yes exactly you probably don’t give a ***t :censored:

If the IMF sees fit to issue a statement saying the governments plans are a bad idea, sending the pound down against the dollar and making banks and building societies withold funding for mortgages, effectively dropping the value of the housing market; then how am i supposed to look forward to quasi-quarkbenders November statement on the economy with any confidence?

If the IMF sees fit to issue a statement saying the governments plans are a bad idea, sending the pound down against the dollar and making banks and building societies withold funding for mortgages, effectively dropping the value of the housing market; then how am i supposed to look forward to quasi-quarkbenders November statement on the economy with any confidence?
What's it got to do with the IMF?

If they are that bothered tell them to hand over the £5bn(ish) they owe to the NLF and the £2bn(ish) they owe the Exchange Equalisation Account.

What's it got to do with the IMF?
The explanation is in the article:
The stinging rebuke from the International Monetary Fund reflected similar concerns from the world's major finance ministries that a crisis brewing in the UK could spill over into a global slowdown.
...., it is the sort of warning the IMF more typically makes to emerging economies.

The IMF is the lender of last resort to nations in financial crises, and one of its key functions is to survey the international economic system for early warning signs of problems.

Sponsored Links
Back