The Times articles.

Sponsored Links
Headline
Wrong again, minister: the tally is 8 in 10 jobs go to migrants

First line
MORE than 80% of the jobs created in the past 10 years have gone to foreigners

Mis-leading headline to attract attention. How mis-leading is the rest of the article ?

Difficult to know what to believe from press articles if I'm being honest.

What happened to the first post Joe, as I posted my reply it said the topic doesn't exists?

MW

Sponsored Links
Why is that misleading Bernard?

8 out of 10 jobs is still the same as MORE than 80%.

How can you have 8.35 out of 10? A job is a job, you can't have .35 of a job any more than you can be .35 pregnant.

Difficult to know what to believe from press articles if I'm being honest.

MW

Are you saying that you sometimes aren't being honest? :eek:

Well let's face it you can either believe someone like The Times or someone like the Government.

The problem of immigration in a nutshell is that employers can now tap into a continuing source of cheap labour which keeps wages down.

This influx leads to a shortage in the housing market which forces prices up.

What this means is that the average Brit will earn less yet have to pay more for his housing. That is a complete disaster for British children raised in poverty. The rich are getting richer - whilst the poor are getting poorer.

Not only that, the roads are more crowded and schools are struggling with non-English speaking children. The health service is overburdened and 1 in 7 people in our prisons is a foreign national.

Can someone PLEASE put the pro immigration case forward please?

Why is that misleading Bernard?

8 out of 10 jobs is still the same as MORE than 80%.

How can you have 8.35 out of 10? A job is a job, you can't have .35 of a job any more than you can be .35 pregnant.

New jobs.....existing jobs..... There is difference.

The head line suggests that immigrants are taking 80% of jobs when in fact they are taking 80% of new jobs which if one looks at the full facts may be new jobs that would not be there if there were no immigrants.

The influx of immigrants has created new jobs of which 20% are being taken by UK residents.

dont you get bored of banging the same drum joe? even when someone does answer you still dont accept any answers put forward. waste of time and space

To answer the original question, I think I do agree - mostly. I also think that a lot of the new jobs wouldn't exist at all if there were no foreign workers prepared to accept the wages on offer. Is that good or bad? I don't know; ask an economist! ;) ;) ;) More work being done must be good but then there are more people to consume the results. :confused: :confused: :confused:

There might also be more to it than wage expectations. I'm thinking of the young Pole who has just gone home because he can't learn any more in a British school. :eek: :eek: :eek: Given a choice between a Pole whose English is better than yours and a home-grown Media Studies graduate, which one would you employ?

Meanwhile, I have my own question for Gordon Brown --

DO YOU REMEMBER 1978 !!!

dont you get bored of banging the same drum joe? even when someone does answer you still dont accept any answers put forward. waste of time and space

I'm looking for the pro immigration argument. Why don't you put it forward?

no point you never listen, better things to do with my life.

It's pretty simple really - you simply have no 'pro' argument.

Sponsored Links
Back