TIME TRAVEL

If you want to know the real answer just ask Screwfix. In their last Email advising their customers of Last Order dates, under the section, "LAST ORDER DATES FOR CHRISTMAS DELIVERY" they say any orders "placed by 4pm 23rd December" will be "delivered on 23rd December"!

Sponsored Links
DforDave said:
If you want to know the real answer just ask Screwfix. In their last Email advising their customers of Last Order dates, under the section, "LAST ORDER DATES FOR CHRISTMAS DELIVERY" they say any orders "placed by 4pm 23rd December" will be "delivered on 23rd December"!

sounds a bit like my ebay orders

B.O.B DOLE said:
so what you are saying nothing exist in the future has everything is now
but how can this be true if you break a second down you can break it down for ever and there will always be time such eg.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000.1 of a second

Nope, time is in fact atomic: i.e. it only gets so small, then you can't measure a duration any smaller than that.

The smallest measurement of time is the Planck time.

The Planck time is 5.39x10^-44 seconds, which is the time taken for light to cross a distance equal to the Planck length.

So, you can only break down time so far :D

johnny_t said:
Wasn't the difference due to gravitational pull affecting the march of time, rather than speed though ?
Not sure about that? they were doing the experiment to prove einsteins theory regarding speed.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
johnny_t said:
Wasn't the difference due to gravitational pull affecting the march of time, rather than speed though ?
Not sure about that? they were doing the experiment to prove einsteins theory regarding speed.

I don't really know either, TBH, just asking the question.

And before anyone asks why no-one has come back from the future to tell us about time travel, its because it won't be invented until a time long after humans are extinct, and Ants have become the dominant species. We are at this moment surrounded by time-travelling Ants and just don't realise it.

me myself think it is impossible to travel backwards in time this is why no one has come back to tell us and also if time is here and now, and there is no future untill it is created i find it hard to travel into the future has well

B.O.B DOLE said:
me myself think it is impossible to travel backwards in time this is why no one has come back to tell us

I explained that one, three posts ago........

B.O.B DOLE said:
and also if time is here and now, and there is no future untill it is created i find it hard to travel into the future has well

I think (and I'm not an expert here) that when looking at particles at a quantum level, their behaviour is perfectly predictable, and so, though you think you have free will, everything can be determined by following the squillion or so simultaneous equations that together define how everything works, including the electrical bits in your brain. So the future may not exist as such, but if you had a clever enough computer, you could create any point in the future and go to it. Or something like that......

To tell the truth, I don't really buy it either, but I think that's partly how its supposed to work. What does Otto think ??

B.O.B DOLE said:
me myself think it is impossible to travel backwards in time this is why no one has come back to tell us and also if time is here and now, and there is no future untill it is created i find it hard to travel into the future has well

Anyone with those powers at their disposal ain't gonna spill the beans to the loonies in our times ... They are probably sent back here as a punishment ... sentence of some kind, and cannot wait to return.
:D :D

johnny_t said:
I think (and I'm not an expert here) that when looking at particles at a quantum level, their behaviour is perfectly predictable,

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle would disagree with you here ;)

Basically, at a quantum level, you end up with "incompatible measurables". In this case, you would be scuppered by the fact that the more accurately you know the position of a particle, the less you know about its momentum.

Every hyphothetical possibility I've read regarding time travel (written by physicists rather than sci-fi fans ;) ) reckoned travel BACK in time would be possible if you could satisfy the requirements (planet-sized lumps of esoteric matter for instance), but none of them mentioned travel FORWARDS in time.

One of my lecturers told us that if time travel were made possible, travel forwards wouldn't be possible.

AdamW said:
[quote="johnn

One of my lecturers told us that if time travel were made possible, travel forwards wouldn't be possible.

if there where no futre why do we see light beems from distant stars which take say 500 years to reach us
so in other words we are seeing in the past
but if i traveled in a space rocket towards this star at say 1.000.000 miles an hour from what i see in the rocket might be a few seconds before you see it on earth so in other words from where you see the light and i have traveled a in time

Well, we say "looking far out into the galaxy is like looking back through time", because the light has taken so long to reach us. Yes, it does show us what things were like billions of years ago, because that was when the light set out. If there were a mirror, a billion light years away then we would be able to see what the earth was like back when it was a lump of molten rock.

But the fact is, we are just experiencing a delay due to the finite speed of light.

If you make an international phonecall you might get a second or two delay on the phoneline. You wouldn't think that you had time-travelled by a second or two because of this would you?

but if i traveled in a space rocket towards this star at say 1.000.000 miles an hour from what i see in the rocket might be a few seconds before you see it on earth so in other words from where you see the light and i have traveled a in time

Yes, you would see it before us. But you wouldn't be able to tell us about it until we had seen it as well... any signal you send out would take at least as long to get to us as the light from the star would. And that is important.

There are various ways you can fudge things to make things move faster than light, but currently it is not possible to send information faster than light (apart from with quantum barriers... quite possibly, but it is heavily disputed in the scientific community. And is only over very short distances anyway.)

Heisenberg, Schmeisenberg !! :D

AdamW said:
Yes, you would see it before us. But you wouldn't be able to tell us about it until we had seen it as well... any signal you send out would take at least as long to get to us as the light from the star would. And that is important.

If BOB mastered travelling faster than the speed of light he could, say, run towards a star, see it explode, do an abrupt U-turn and then run back and tell us about it before we see it, but this isn't really seeing into the future, its seeing the past before the rest of us do........

With the gravity thing though, you can give the appearance of travelling into the future by slowing your own time down, therefore arriving 10,000 years in the future whilst it seems like you've only been away for a day or two. No way back though... (Note to self: Planet of the Apes is only a story)

johnny_t said:
this isn't really seeing into the future, its seeing the past before the rest of us do........

Yes, I think that's about the best way of putting it!

With the gravity thing though, you can give the appearance of travelling into the future by slowing your own time down,

A simple principle of Special Relativity is "time dilation". Quite simply, moving clocks run slow. It is generally held that you will begin to find this effect appreciable once you get above 10% of the speed of light.

So, get yourself up to a mere 18,600 miles per second, and you will begin to find time dilation appreciable ;)

Sponsored Links
Back