To MOD the mad deleter of questions

ok nobodys having a go at anyone :D :D
its just that sometimes the application of "the guidlines" in a slightly better more relaxed way will come accross as more freindly
no one means to be unfreindly as it dosnt help ;)
i just think we forget how formidable and frightening the internet can seem to internet newbies who dont know how things work
a little more understanding will go a long way to make them feel welcome ;)

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Fine, Agile has said it all.

Someone asks, "How much roughly would it cost to fit a boiler if I get the boiler?"

Anything between £500 and £2500, depending on where you are, who does it, what sort of problems you have.

What's so bad about this that the MODS have to censor it?
the answer is

DIYnot said:
it's to do with the fact that in most cases it is impossible to accurately quote 'remotely' due to regional variations in pricing and the different aspects/circumstances related to a job that are not described (or describable) in the question which therefore make any answers incomparable to any real world quotes.

I will go with this boiler then.

i am on a limited budget, of what use is a variation of 2k? being on a limited budget (thats what most say) i need a real price, 2k is too much difference, but in reality you can not even give me that price, because as item 9 says, it also depends on "acess to the job, how easy it will be"

for instance i havent told you that the boiler i have brought is 2nd hand and falling apart,(i do not know that i just brought it, because thats what the forum said i need) but it is the boiler specified, also suppose it was an oil fired boiler and i expect you to connect it to an oil tank sitting in my garden, trouble is oil tank is just sitting on the grass, no surrounding wall etc etc but you have told me it will cost only £2.5k max (i cant afford £2.5k but that is what was said it will cost.

look at this post for an example

with regard to all the information, the plumbing forum has its own section which basicaly states "give all info" only "appliances" has a "note at the top" no other section does (so far)

In electrical people ask how much lets say shower,

now that is going to (probably) need 10mm t & e

it can not be answered (reasonably)

how long is cable run? is there a spare way on C.U.? what if there isnt a spare way? new cu, or additional cu, then what if the current (again no punn inteded) earthing is not up to spec, that has to be allowed for too

then whan you get there to do job, its in a block of flats, on the top floor and the lifts have not been working for months and everything is in conduit, and only £100 was quoted (labour only job) as job was for a "friend"

but my whole point boils down (sorry no punn intended) to the fact that posters want a "real price" which in all honesty no one can give without actually seeing the job

Oh well, get ready to shoot the newbie.... but

I thought this was a DIY forum. So therefore when someone asked a question relating to a price, they are seeking to share the combined empirical knowledge of other DIY'ers. Much in the same way as when someone visits a friend who has just had a new kitchen/bathroom/whatever installed as asks "Oh, I'm thinking of getting a new ..... how much did this cost?" Would anyone really refuse to answer on account of regional price variation, differing size of room or anything else. I think not!

It is quite simple to all concerned, if you don't like the question, don't answer it. What is the point of wasting your time posting "See Rule 9".

I see no problem with providing indication on prices, no-one is really asking for a quote, and in some cases people just want to know how much a product is likely to cost, which can be answered very easily and builds a knowledge base across the forum which can only be of benefit.

shields Up!
Merv

Sponsored Links
I'm going to add onto Merv's post.

Let's say my question is 'I want to replace my old bay window with a UPVC version of the same - How much is it going to cost ?' If I can get a feel that its about £100, or about £1000, or about £10000 without having some f**ker from Safestyle sat in my front room for 3 hours trying to apply mind-control techniques, that's got to be good......

If someone asks for a price then anyone who replies can generally only give an approximation and I'm sure they would make this clear. With regard to Breezers point about the top floor of a block of flats, lift not working etc then the enquirer would surely have to accept (when they come to have the work done) the the price will be higher because they omitted to mention this. As JTaunton says, some people will have no idea what sort of price they would expect to pay for a particular job and they are just looking for guidelines before they look for quotes (and a lot of people do not shop for quotes at all as I'm sure we all know.)

If you want to buy a product, NOT a service, its easy to compare specs/prices. Its very difficult when you want a service it should not only be price dependant.
I am all for people on here to give an idea of price. Its not hard to say I live in XYZ & had a new xyz fitted & it cost me this or that.
What we dont need is people saying you should have paid £xyz, as the job has been done.

At the end of the day what does it matter? I would think asking a 'ball park' price isn't a teeth whistling offence .. If you have no answer, or feel one is not appropriate then fine...
Culture perhaps? I have Chinese friends who find it strange that we like money but hate talking about it...

Just spotted a goody tis no longer 'The Brickworks' but 'Innovators in Clay' :D :D

I can be as specific as I like, writing in the estimate, "this estimate is compiled assuming access is possible, that wiring is accessible and suitable etc etc....."

But when it comes to the job and I say it will cost more because of XYZ, the customer says "oh but you quoted £xx".

Some don't have any idea that an estimate is just that, based on what is known at the time the estimate is drawn up, and can change very easily.

I'm not suggesting for one minute anyone here would be untruthful in respect of an estimate, but the following happened to me recently.

One of my "customers" called me out to an estimate. I asked very detailed questions and he gave me answers.

I compiled the estimate writing something like what I put in the first paragraph, ie the estimate assumes easy access etc......

The estimate was accepted, so I started work, only to find that everything the guy told me was a pack of lies.

I explained that the estimate would triple because he had been economical with the truth, and he declined the new estimate. Trouble was, I'd started work and spent half a day mucking about, so I asked him for payment. He declined until I threatened him with a court appearance, and he paid up. Turns out he does this all the time to a variety of tradesmen. But the big question to me is why?

Because he is a THIEF, and a fraud. If you tried it on the other way round he could have the trading standards deal with you. No cost to him. I never give quotes, I never give written estimates. I tell them they need to have a budget of £xxx and there may be things that I don't know about that will affect the price, but usually the budget is over the top. I point out how there is always time to do the job twice, but not to do it properly, how would you like it done? "Properly" is always the answer. If I get a mention of the cost being a pressure factor I go and get another job. You CAN do it, trade on your value, not on someone elses cheapness. If they want a cheap job they need someone with a horse.

For once i agree with Oilman-----------you can always be a busy fool.

I agree with all of you tradesman about quotes for Jobs....

But, that isn't what people are asking on here. None of the posts are requesting anyone to provide a quote or requesting you to do a job for them.

The main reason people ask about costs is to get an idea of how much to expect. It is what happens in pubs/workplaces/friends houses everyday and gives people an idea as to whether or not something is a no-brainer, expensive but necessary, or oh shiitt! time to move.

Whilst I am more than appreciative that the tradesman on this site take the time and effort to impart some of the hard earned knowledge and wisdom to complete DIY'ers like myself (REALLY - THANK YOU!) I am only asking advice, not requesting a binding quote.

As I said before, if you don't like the question, simply don't answer it.

I do find it quite frustrating some of the unhelpful responses to genuine requests for help.

Merv

I agree with all of you tradesman about quotes for Jobs....

But, that isn't what people are asking on here....................

We know, we've just gone off topic.

I was just about to reply to a post by Merve when it disappeared!

Perhaps the fact that he said he valued the experienced tradesmen here who give their time to help DIYers was why it disappeared.

The facts are quite clear, DIYers value an idea of prices. The site Owner only suggests not as a guideline. Its the Mods who want to use the guidelines as rules to enable them to have an excuse to edit, delete or move postings.

Now a new aspect not mentioned before. The Mods are some of the most prolific posters here, they think the site belongs to them and their post reply is the only one that counts so they do their utmost to mess up anyone elses posting.

Now I say to the Owner, why do you let your Mods make their own postings? Surely Mods should ONLY do modding and not posting as well?

In which game do the referees add their own kicks and punches to those of the players ??? Football? Boxing? No just DIYNOT !

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Back