Tory party to change back to imperial measurements

I thought it might be part of the plan to become the 51st State of USA (but then trump has gone)!

Talking somewhat more sensible, ex's brother lives in California, his kids were taught both Imperial (USA flavour) and Metric measurements in school. They can estimate in either system which is more than most English people can. I wold like to see that adopted in the UK as I'm sure it would have benefits if only to keep us old codgers (and ship builders of wooden ships*) happy :). Actually I think it would help many young people understand what their elders are talking about or asking for (was in butchers the other week and assistant didn't know what a pound was - or that there is 6 thick sausages to the pound - I had to tell her a numerical quantity!).

In my last employment I had to deal with aeronautical communications; the terrestrial users spoke in Kilometres but I had to convert to nautical miles for the aircraft users for their operations.

My thoughts - On the whole the move back to Imperial completely is bl**dy stupid !

*I understand most wooden ships were built to a ratio of beam to keel length, which seems to be easier to determine using imperial measurements.

Sponsored Links
My thoughts - On the whole the move back to Imperial completely is bl**dy stupid !

no intelligent person seriously supports this.

Obviously Iain Smith is not included in that.

On a serious note:

I definitely used to think in imperial, at least on some things

weather for example: I remember the days of "oh its gonna be in the high 70's today

But now I think in Centigrade

what about you?

8 sausages to the lb in my world!
16254134866445893360108258162956.jpg

Sponsored Links
On a serious note:

I definitely used to think in imperial, at least on some things

weather for example: I remember the days of "oh its gonna be in the high 70's today

But now I think in Centigrade

what about you?

Working, I tend to work and think in Imperial, when buying I swap to metric. I still suffer confusion with mm and cm, the really small sub-mm I do with mm. I instantly swapped to Pounds and Pence and to Centigrade.

what about you?
Largely metricated in the building world even though I was introduced to the trade by two old imperialists. I still see doors as imperial although I flip to metric when hanging them (measuring hinge cut-outs, drill centres etc). Brick coursing is STRICTLY metric. As are distance, volume and area measurements.

Golf in the UK is paced in yards and will be for a while.

I'm happy with MPH.

I always cook in metric.

Only an utter loon would think it sensible to distance themselves from metricationalization.

Nautical miles are sensible and rather clever. All other imperial measurements are absurd.

Will youngsters stop asking for 3.5 grams of weed and go back to asking for an eighth?
Thats inflation for you.

Or proof of increased poverty.

Was a quarter in my day.

But the Peruvian snuff was always metric.

Every weight will always have a possible metric and imperial weight.

I have always used both. But prefer metric.

Never understood why so few measure their weight in kilograms.

Metric is easier to calculate quantities.
Roofing materials come in metric sizes.
600mmx300mm instead of 24"x12" for slates, roofing felt comes in 10 m rolls instead of yards ect.

Don't understand all this nostalgia for the past.
Life was crap for a lot people.

Sponsored Links
Back