Tory party to change back to imperial measurements

I worked in oil & gas in Aussie, been fully metric for yonks but some pipe fittings were still imperial, throwback to the original US sizes I think

Sponsored Links
I worked in oil & gas in Aussie, been fully metric for yonks but some pipe fittings were still imperial, throwback to the original US sizes I think

Metrication was coming to the fore just as I was leaving school but I quickly picked it up and can work in both.
If my wife asks me how big is x centimetres/millimetres I can quickly convert to a rough size in imperial for her. It won't be precise but if she asks how big is 700mm I could quickly say it's just short of 28 inches.
The one thing I have never been able to get my head around are pipe fitting sizes! 1/2" BSP is NOT 1/2" no matter how you measure it!

Sponsored Links
Not because of feet and inches.

Do you think 2440 x 1220 is easier than 8 x 4?

Not if you think imperial.

If you have been brought up in metric.

Do you think 2.18723 x1.09361 yards is easier than 2mx1m.
Aren't most building materials now measured in metres/litres ect.

Not if you think imperial.
Really?

What kind of "thinking" makes the mental arithmetic of multiplying two 4-digit numbers together easier than two single-digit ones?

Do you think 2.18723 x1.09361 yards is easier than 2mx1m.
Does anybody?

Do you think that 1.8288m x 0.9144m is easier than 2yards x 1yard?

Do you ever actually think?

Really?

What kind of "thinking" makes the mental arithmetic of multiplying two 4-digit numbers together easier than two single-digit ones?

Does anybody?

Do you think that 1.8288m x 0.9144m is easier than 2yards x 1yard?

Do you ever actually think?
Do you?

Yes I do.

And do you know what I think?

You obviously have not been in contact with the real world for some time.

I think that anybody who thinks that the way to argue for or against imperial vs metric or metric vs imperial is to claim that one system makes no sense because units in it equate to cumbersome values in the other has the same relationship to the real world as a snail does to unicycle riding, and is a complete tw@t.

Yes I do.

And do you know what I think?

I think that anybody who thinks that the way to argue for or

I think that anybody who thinks that the way to argue for or against imperial vs metric or metric vs imperial is to claim that one system makes no sense because units in it equate to cumbersome values in the other has the same relationship to the real world as a snail does to unicycle riding, and is a complete tw@t.
I deal in metric not imperial.

Doesn't matter. What did what you ask have to do with the metric system?

I did.

What on earth does the question "Do you think 2.18723 x1.09361 yards is easier than 2mx1m?" have to do with anything sensible relating to a discussion of the merits of one system of weights and measures compared to anogher?

Sponsored Links
Back