TV Licence Renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Postie delivered my TV licence renewal letter today. I don't have to do anything it just politely reminds me how much per month is coming out of my bank account.

I turned on the tv this evening and what do I get for Saturday evening prime time viewing? Yet another repeat of Dad's Army.

Is anybody out there keeping score of how many times the BBC has repeated this show? It must run into the hundreds.

Sponsored Links
It does still draw a big audience, and the BBC has three mainstream channels to watch so it is not compulsory

If you spend some time in almost any other foreign country, you'll realise how lucky you are to have the BBC.

If you spend some time in almost any other foreign country, you'll realise how lucky you are to have the BBC.

I agree, spent some years in Australia, only TV worth watching was UK & US imports local content was dire apart from sport

Sponsored Links
I turned on the tv this evening and what do I get for Saturday evening prime time viewing? Yet another repeat of Dad's Army.

Is anybody out there keeping score of how many times the BBC has repeated this show? It must run into the hundreds.

...and they have the cheek to bring out Britbox. Anyone on here have that?

I agree the Beeb. Is great. But I don't want to pay for it so I can watch other channels.

I agree, spent some years in Australia, only TV worth watching was UK & US imports local content was dire apart from sport

Don't agree totally their TV stations are crap but I think they went too American and some of their programs where too American.

What I've liked in the past about Australian film and drama is it rawness, nothing flash like the Yanks and possibly more of a british platform. Even now I will watch a good Aussie film or drama.

Just stop watching and paying for it. Stream programmes for free and you’ll soon realise you don’t miss it.

Don't agree totally their TV stations are crap but I think they went too American and some of their programs where too American.

What I've liked in the past about Australian film and drama is it rawness, nothing flash like the Yanks and possibly more of a british platform. Even now I will watch a good Aussie film or drama.
Australian film is good in general, but normal evening fare used to consist of game shows, soaps and attempts at drama i.e. Prisoner, Bluey, Cop Shop

American TV is dire.

Constant ad breaks. They have no qualms in putting on a break 5mins before the end of a show.

Without the BBC I wonder how many documentary, satirical, natural, and investigative programs wouldn't have seen the light of day?
Not to mention to the 'crown jewels' sporting events that are FTA...

And governments/mp's/corporates on the whole hate/dislike the BBC because their exposé programmes are an unwelcome check on their dubious/criminal activities...

Unfortunately some sad members of the public spout about their alleged 'bias', but if you have experienced TV from around the world you'd realise it is about the most non-biased broadcasting service around...

Ignorant people will only miss it when it is gone!

Australian film is good in general, but normal evening fare used to consist of game shows, soaps and attempts at drama i.e. Prisoner, Bluey, Cop Shop

I love an Australian film. But they do have some good drama Have you seen:
The Slap.
Murder Road.
China Girl.

Sponsored Links
Back