unable to pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the other day i went to my local petrol station to fill up and the customer in front wanted to pay with his debit card which they advertised that they accepted them.their machine was having problems and had gone offline or something and would not accept his card,they did'nt have any back-up vouchers so asked the customer to find another way of paying.he had no cash so was told to find a cashpoint machine and leave his vehicle there :eek: does anyone know what the legal procedure would be if he could'nt find a cashpoint as he had means of paying by his debit card but it was the petrol stations fault that they could not take payment.what made it worse was that there was 3 females and ony 1 operating the till,they just said "naw mate,don't work dussit"they did'nt seem to care less.it would have been different if a mother with 2 toddlers in car seats had a card that they could not get to take funds from.bloody annoying.

Sponsored Links
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
the other day i went to my local petrol station to fill up and the customer in front wanted to pay with his debit card which they advertised that they accepted them.their machine was having problems and had gone offline or something and would not accept his card,they did'nt have any back-up vouchers so asked the customer to find another way of paying.he had no cash so was told to find a cashpoint machine and leave his vehicle there :eek: does anyone know what the legal procedure would be if he could'nt find a cashpoint as he had means of paying by his debit card but it was the petrol stations fault that they could not take payment.what made it worse was that there was 3 females and ony 1 operating the till,they just said "naw mate,don't work dussit"they did'nt seem to care less.it would have been different if a mother with 2 toddlers in car seats had a card that they could not get to take funds from.b****y annoying.

its their problem. i would just cause a big scene infront of customers in the queue and walk out

providing he gives his full details, he can legally drive away as it is a civil debt as he has no intention to not pay.

That is the answer. Don't make a scene and walk away - give them your name and address and car reg number, and tell them that if they send you a bill you'll pay it.

Sponsored Links
if they threaten to resort to call the police invite them to. the police will view it the same and give the same advice (speaks from experiance)

The way the technology is going you would've thought they have a back up like the old fashion manual roll on press credit card paper (don't know the name) because I can see the money cash fading out in time, I very rarely carry large amount of money.

masona said:
The way the technology is going you would've thought they have a back up like the old fashion manual roll on press credit card paper (don't know the name) because I can see the money cash fading out in time, I very rarely carry large amount of money.

i use my cash card for pretty much everything. altho i usually have £20-30 with me for newsagents etc

masona said:

Your quite right! Every card machine comes with such a back-up system (got one mysefl very recently - 3 weeks ago). Could be that staff isn't aware of that, because of all the technology going round ;)

WoodYouLike said:
masona said:

Your quite right! Every card machine comes with such a back-up system (got one mysefl very recently - 3 weeks ago). Could be that staff isn't aware of that, because of all the technology going round ;)
or maybe they just can't be arsed to use it?

had that in one of the sheds last week. it wouldnt swipe one of my cards, so the girl asked for another. I said to her no its my business card and i need to buy the goods on that so input it manually. Cant do that she said, were waiting for new machines to be able to do it. i then pointed out that on many previous occasions other staff had done it on the old tills as they were so crap at reading cards. She called over another memeber of staff who explained to her what to do and did it in ten seconds flat. Thing was she didnt even watch while she was being shown!

What amazes me is that B&Q in doncaster is still swiping and signing cards! No chip and pin! This is unbelievable!

What i dont get is these people who ask the pin to be overidden so they can sign because they dont know their pin. Would people do the reverse? (override signature so they can input their PIN because they dont know their signature) NO!

The thing with credit card backup is that all the stores have a machine for swiping card details onto imprint paper, but many times staff dont know how to use it, and in small shops, even the manager would not know what to do with the slips.

The shops i work at have a sequence on the tills - first it tries to read the chip. if this fails 3 times, it instructs the operator "fallback to swipe" so it is swiped, then if this fails 4 times, it instructs the operator "key card number" and the details are entered manually.

Tesco was in the papers today saying they are ending cash payments in the not-so-distant future! Big news given they handle 1/8th of all the money spent in this country.

crafty1289 said:
What amazes me is that B&Q in doncaster is still swiping and signing cards! No chip and pin! This is unbelievable!

What i dont get is these people who ask the pin to be overidden so they can sign because they dont know their pin. Would people do the reverse? (override signature so they can input their PIN because they dont know their signature) NO!

The thing with credit card backup is that all the stores have a machine for swiping card details onto imprint paper, but many times staff dont know how to use it, and in small shops, even the manager would not know what to do with the slips.

The shops i work at have a sequence on the tills - first it tries to read the chip. if this fails 3 times, it instructs the operator "fallback to swipe" so it is swiped, then if this fails 4 times, it instructs the operator "key card number" and the details are entered manually.

Tesco was in the papers today saying they are ending cash payments in the not-so-distant future! Big news given they handle 1/8th of all the money spent in this country.

penny chews on cash card.. will probably cost them more

Costs something like 50p for some companies to process each card transaction i read somewhere. Hence many shops have a minimum £5 for cards.

crafty1289 said:

Then B&Q is liable for the transaction (if things should go wrong). We just had a card machine installed and being used to 'pinning' for more then 10 years in the Netherland at most retail shops I thought my brand new machine was chip and pin enabled. Wrong...... while the 'big' machine' can read the chip of every card it isn't able to do chip and pin! I discovered that when with no transaction a pin was requested (yes, you can call me stupid ;)
One call to the suppling bank told me they had forgotten to ship the separate pin-pad.

Whit every documentation sent to us about this application for the machine and the contract etc, the company had sent many leaflets about chip and pin: why it was more secure and why and when we were liable for transactions if a card has chip and pin, but we 'side-track' this even on request of a customer.
but not sending the necessary pin pad with it ;)

Oh, BTW the minimum a company get's charged for any debit-card transaction is £0.61 , credit card work with a percentage of the transaction amount. Companies are allowed to put a surcharge on credit card transactions, but not on debit card transactions since these are equivalent to cash-transactions.

Sponsored Links
Back