Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be really grateful for any advice on this. So, I moved into a top floor flat in a 1960s flat-roofed block in March. The photos are of a crack in the bedroom. It runs from the window horizontally, along an external wall, then round the corner along the wall with the stairwell. From the stairwell side, you can see that part of the crack goes all the way through (the second last photo is from stairwell). You can also see a round area, both on stairwell side and bedroom side (some sort of previous fix?). The skirting boards look a little warped to me too (last photo). Is this going to be letting in water/a damp issue? If left as it is, will this mean higher heating bills in winter? Thanks so much!
PXL_20210804_100315521.jpg
PXL_20210717_112257891.jpg
PXL_20210717_112251528.jpg
PXL_20210717_112306409.jpg
PXL_20210807_001930846.jpg
PXL_20210710_175340292.jpg
PXL_20210815_132413501.jpg

Sponsored Links
Potential roof movement, or less seriously a crack between different materials in the walls.

Your landlord needs to be notified and he needs to arrange a structural engineer to investigate (not a normal surveyor). You should check your lease regarding who pays for survey and repairs and costs for damages.

Cheers, Woody.

My hunch has always been it need to be checked. Notified Landlord soon as I moved in March - sent photos as it got worse. They even came over, once - but only said it didn't merit investigating/spending money on a structural engineer.

If roof movement, how serious would that be? cheers.

Sponsored Links
haha. Well, apparently that doesn't concern my landlord.

If it is a crack between material types...that will let water in, right? or do you mean, if that, wouldn't be that serious/have much effect? cheers!

Not normally if its a cavity wall. You need to have a look on the outside for any similar cracking.

Is it a flat or pitched/tiled roof?

It's a flat roof.

It's impossible to see if crack goes all way through on the external wall too, as there is some sort of white cladding in place.

The line where the cladding ends is exactly where the crack is on inside, though.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back