Ways to prevent a slip coupler from slipping when soldering onto a vertical copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideals on the best way to preventing a copper solder slip coupler from slipping down a vertical copper pipe while soldering please?

The reason for the question is I need to remove a section of vertical copper pipe to install a solder tee fitting to branch off. The vertical pipe is clipped to the wall above and below the section to be cut and can't be reached to be removed. There is also absolutely no pipe movement up, down or sideways to squeeze in the tee fitting. Also, are there other ways to do the same using a different fitting?

Sponsored Links
Look into the end of the tee. There will be a location ridge. Use a round file to remove the ridge, converting to a slip. Insert the top tube into that end, then slide onto bottom tube. The tee will be held in position by the remaining ridge

Sponsored Links
I will probably get a slagging here, but if you carefully squeeze the socket, with thin nose pliers, just enough, it will grip.

I said CAREFULLY !

Thanks for the replies.

Like the idea of using a jubilee clip. By jubilee clip, I take it to mean the clip tightened around the middle of the slip coupler however what's best to also place inside the clip to hold the fitting in place? I thought about a wire coat hanger bent in shape and attached onto something near by but that might bounce about too much!

Great idea about removing the location ridge on the tee. Something I never would have thought of.

I have tried using long nose pliers but the fitting kept slipping off the pliers grip and my hand kept moving or do you mean another kind of pliers that I do not need to squeeze the handles together?

Regarding wedging the slip coupler from behind to create friction on the pipe, what material would be best to use so as to withstand the heat and not let the slip coupler slip down with the melted flux and hard solder pushing at it?

I have before, tried wedging a small bit of copper pipe between a tiled wall and a slip coupler. Problem was the loss of small air spaces between the inside of the coupler and outside of the inserted pipe so not allowing solder to flow touching all areas of the fitting due to the force of the wedge creating a v shape at the slip joint. Apart from it not looking too good, the mains water pressure has measured 5.3 bar at night so don't want to risk a poor joint!

FFS you only have to put enough force on it to support its own weight. A small wooden wedge is fine.

I would bend a small part of the bottom slightly inwards to create the additional friction needed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back