What am I doing wrong?

DSCN0264.jpg
bowdown.gif

Sponsored Links
BAS,
Got that exact same die set at work, it is pants and leaves the same mess as yours. I personally use rocol thread cutting fluid and 1/2 turn, back off a quater. We are now proud owners of a 20mm and 25mm ratchet cutter which leaves the thread cut perfect. E Bay it.

BAS, if you would like, pop your conduit in the post, (not forgetting to include a stamped addressed envelope), and I'll thread it for you and send it back :D

BAS, if you would like, pop your conduit in the post, (not forgetting to include a stamped addressed envelope), and I'll thread it for you and send it back :D

Why not parcel yourself up and ship yourself? Im sure someone will put some "Handle with care" tape on the box :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It'll take me a while to work out what lengths I need - do you offer a cutting service too? :LOL:

I'll persevere a bit first - I'm sure I just need a better feel for what's going on, and maybe to wear the cutter a bit - we all know what it's like trying to get a brand new hacksaw blade started sometimes.

And I will try a bit of plastic conduit, just to verify that the die is true.

and maybe to wear the cutter a bit - we all know what it's like trying to get a brand new hacksaw blade started sometimes.

Worn or even slightly worn dies/taps lead to ripped threads, as they drag instead of cutting.

I wonder what type of tube RF Lighting used, as black conduit is usually very poor quality steel.

trazor, there's a world of difference between worn out and worn in..

fresh out of the box, the dies may have burs on the cutting edges that will wear off in a few uses..

RF, is that a tube cutter cut or a hacksaw cut? looks too good to be hacksaw..

trazor, there's a world of difference between worn out and worn in..
That may be true of cheap dies.
Expect to pay approx £35 to £40 for a top quality 20m/m conduit die.

Black conduit steel is very poor quality, and will never cut the perfect thread.
Steel used primarily for tapping/threading, contains a very small amount of lead, ie...EN 1A leaded, with this steell you can produce threads which look polished.... :)

Here's mine, like RF I'm a fan of Texamol.

Cant remember what brand the stock and die set is, got it from Electric Centre, sold under the Acel 'brand', it rearely gets an outing, probably been used 20 times at the very most.

thems the ones...
blue body, silver handles nicely rounded at the ends, with a nurled grip to them?

Anyway it'd have to be a real animal who could do something like that to a thread with half decent gear.
And we trust the op isn't one of those.
So I wonder if the grade/type of steel has something to do with it. The end of if looks almost like it's cast. And there appear to be some sort of discoloration in the metal close up.
Or is it me?

The very same Coljack.

About £30 from Electric Centre, and that included a 20 and a 25.

I've got the box kicking around somewhere, I'll see if the manufacturer is quoted...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back