What are some of the most bullet proof cars to buy in terms of reliability these days

Sponsored Links
Have you ever had a Ford Transit Regan? Are they as reliable as they say, they seem to be used by builders a fair bit

I bend pipes for a living and the Tranny was too big for me. Only have experience of driving MK3 petrol versions which seemed bombproof and soaked up some abuse but kept going. Main trouble I see with trannies is rust.

That's a very tidy trip! You've got to be looking at close to 1,000 miles return.

How much would of a full service set him back if he'd had it done by the main dealer or the local non dealer? Are you just good with cars in general or can you do full services on other cars? Nowadays even a Ford Focus is about £350 for a full service I think
He bought 25 litre drums of synthetic oil at roughly £100 from a local part dealer.
Passat takes 4.3/4.5, so it would cost him £20 a go in oil plus the filters plus my drink, a score.
I was changing oil filter every other service and the rest every 6 months, apart from fuel filter every year.
I've always serviced all my cars, they're all more or less the same and it doesn't take long to do.
I find it quite therapeutic and also I know that has been done properly, no stripped sumps, no oil everywhere, no oil filters tightened with wrench and most importantly, undertray secured with ALL fixing.
Do it yourself, you only need very few tools and there are plenty of videos and forums where you can get advice.
I wrote a guide some time ago, I see if i can find it.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that special oil for that PD engine! Quantum from TPS but they don't like to sell to the public at some branches but usually will if you tell them you're a taxi driver.
In 30 of years of running and servicing old cars on peanuts I think the most it's cost me is a gearbox on an old fiat bravo - I think a garage might have spotted the slow gearbox oil leak on a ramp whereas I didn't.

Worst lot are main dealers - if you're on a 20k service interval and they "think" your pads might only last 18k they'll be trying to change them.
A few years ago I bought an old Astra estate off my parents for £800, put it in the Vauxhall dealers for a cambelt as they had a £190 fixed price deal. They sent me this walk and talk video of the car pointing out various other items that "needed" doing - I just needed to authorise the work at a cost of £1700 and the car would be really at teatime. Needless to say I ignored that and the car was perfectly happy without it, apart from the knackered DMF which they failed to diagnose despite it jangling like a bag of spanners.

Don't forget that special oil for that PD engine! Quantum from TPS but they don't like to sell to the public at some branches but usually will if you tell them you're a taxi driver.
In 30 of years of running and servicing old cars on peanuts I think the most it's cost me is a gearbox on an old fiat bravo - I think a garage might have spotted the slow gearbox oil leak on a ramp whereas I didn't.

Worst lot are main dealers - if you're on a 20k service interval and they "think" your pads might only last 18k they'll be trying to change them.
A few years ago I bought an old Astra estate off my parents for £800, put it in the Vauxhall dealers for a cambelt as they had a £190 fixed price deal. They sent me this walk and talk video of the car pointing out various other items that "needed" doing - I just needed to authorise the work at a cost of £1700 and the car would be really at teatime. Needless to say I ignored that and the car was perfectly happy without it, apart from the knackered DMF which they failed to diagnose despite it jangling like a bag of spanners.

it doesnt have to be from TPS, every single brand has an oil that is approved for the PD engine.

Quantum oil is filled and supplied by Fuch's, Quantum is VW's own brand for the aftermarket industry. Dealers have to use shell / castrol whomeveer VAG have the contract with.

I bend pipes for a living and the Tranny was too big for me. Only have experience of driving MK3 petrol versions which seemed bombproof and soaked up some abuse but kept going. Main trouble I see with trannies is rust.
I'd forgotten about the rust on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
He bought 25 litre drums of synthetic oil at roughly £100 from a local part dealer.
Passat takes 4.3/4.5, so it would cost him £20 a go in oil plus the filters plus my drink, a score.
I was changing oil filter every other service and the rest every 6 months, apart from fuel filter every year.
I've always serviced all my cars, they're all more or less the same and it doesn't take long to do.
Don't modern cars need computers etc to plug into it and all that type of thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought doing a service don't they need computers etc to plug into it and all that type of thing? I can see you can save a fair bit of money by doing it yourself. Did you grow up fixing cars?
Vcds (aka vagcom) cables for those old cars cost peanuts and work with any laptop.
To be honest you don't really need it.
To reset the service light/message on the dash you can use a sequence of actions with clock adjusters.
I have it written down and works every time.
I didn't grow up fixing cars, but I hanged around a very good vag mechanic and helped him so I picked up the basics.
I can do most things, but I wouldn't change a clutch or head gasket, 1. because I've never done it on my own and 2. my back doesn't like being over a bonnet for any longer than 10-15 minutes.
Changing oil and filters is probably the easiest thing to do on a car, in fact, on my Audi it's easier to do an oil change than replace a bulb.

it doesnt have to be from TPS, every single brand has an oil that is approved for the PD engine.

Quantum oil is filled and supplied by Fuch's, Quantum is VW's own brand for the aftermarket industry. Dealers have to use shell / castrol whomeveer VAG have the contract with.

Of course not, but last time I bought a 20l cube from them it was £38 for the standard life stuff and I couldn't get anywhere else close to that as a non trade buyer.

There's still no reason not for you to work on your car if you want, but obstacles are becoming more common.
Example.....no sump plug or dipstick (BMW Mini) and the key has the service menu which needs to be interrogated
Various models won't allow you to cancel the service indicator screen
Some vehicles need a laptop to back the pads off on an electronic handbrake
Etc.
John :)

There's still no reason not for you to work on your car if you want, but obstacles are becoming more common.
Example.....no sump plug or dipstick (BMW Mini) and the key has the service menu which needs to be interrogated
Various models won't allow you to cancel the service indicator screen
Some vehicles need a laptop to back the pads off on an electronic handbrake
Etc.
John :)
We're talking about a 20 year old vag.
Of course new cars are built to be worked on by main dealers only.
Strange enough I bet they don't last 20 years.

Sponsored Links
Back