What are some of the most bullet proof cars to buy in terms of reliability these days

If you want a diesel the 2.0. Peugeot/Citroen engine is about the most reliable.

Peter

Sponsored Links
There is a Volvo with 3.2 million on the clock.
Also Volvo hold record for highest mileage on one clutch over 600,000m .

If you want a diesel the 2.0. Peugeot/Citroen engine is about the most reliable. Peter
Is that a new engine available on cars less than 5 years old?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Volvo with 3.2 million on the clock. Also Volvo hold record for highest mileage on one clutch over 600,000m .
I saw that one but 600,000 with one clutch is quite good going

Sponsored Links
There is a Volvo with 3.2 million on the clock.
Also Volvo hold record for highest mileage on one clutch over 600,000m .
Any car can do 600k miles on one clutch, as long as they're on motorways all day long.

I'm assuming this was normal use for this car and the same would probably apply to the overall mileage wouldn't it
There is a 200,000-mile club for some Volvos as they regularly reach this mileage and more.

Is that a fairly new engine Peter and is it available in cars that are less than 5 years old?

The ones I have at present are in 2008 C5s but I know they made them until the end of the run which was about 2017, I think they are still the same. There must be millions of them about as they were used by Ford in the Mondeo - although for some reason the don't seem to be as reliable in them, other manufacturers use them as well.

The first Hdi was the 8 valve , used in many cars but I had them in Peugeot 406s for ten years without a problem, these are a 16 valve twin cam version but they just don't seem to go wrong and very good on fuel too - at least the manual versions.

Peter

The ones I have at present are in 2008 C5s but I know they made them until the end of the run which was about 2017, I think they are still the same. There must be millions of them about as they were used by Ford in the Mondeo - although for some reason the don't seem to be as reliable in them, other manufacturers use them as well. The first Hdi was the 8 valve , used in many cars but I had them in Peugeot 406s for ten years without a problem, these are a 16 valve twin cam version but they just don't seem to go wrong and very good on fuel too - at least the manual versions. Peter

Which was the engine that was in the Peugeot 409 that became known for doing over 300k miles

Don't know about a 409 but most of my 406's had done well over 200,000 and were still going strong. The previous XUD IDI engines which these were based on were capable of 300k, I had a couple of XMs that had done nearly that. I would expect these engines would be good for 200,000+ my first 406 had done about 250k but was scrapped due to water in the electronics, in fact most of the cars using this engine that have been scrapped has been for other reasons. I don't think I have ever heard of an engine that has failed.

Peter

Yes, wonderful. Hot oil and unburnt petrol. Smell of my youth, but don't enjoy for too long. :confused: Even better if it's accompanied by the burble of a V8. Then there's that unique smell inside - especially if it's got leather.

A man after my own heart, four Range Rover classic V8's over the past two decades, though in my case I prefer velour to leather.
Even our 'daily' is a 22 yr. old BMW, neither car does much mileage as we are both retired but they get serviced each year just the same.

Modern engines are designed to burn oil, believe it or not.
Some burn more than others.

That is true, something to do with the drive for lower emissions. Engines are built with greater tolerances ie they turn easily, plus the trend today is for lower viscosity oils.
I'm sure someone can come up with something more technical :notworthy:

A man after my own heart, four Range Rover classic V8's over the past two decades, though in my case I prefer velour to leather.
Even our 'daily' is a 22 yr. old BMW, neither car does much mileage as we are both retired but they get serviced each year just the same.

Had a Rover P4 for a few years, but hankered after a 'V'. In the end, changed it for a P6 V8. Wonderful sound, effortless, smooth, lazy torque combined with the great ride quality these cars were famed for made it a joy to drive. Always had a smile on my face when driving it, unless I glanced down at the fuel gauge. Didn't keep it long as the tin worm was starting to creep in a bit. Much more civilised driving a car with a big, lazy understressed engine. Nothing today sounds that good either.

Sponsored Links
Back