What order should i carry out for my whole home redecoration (Renovation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am carrying out a major re-decor of my home. Below is the order that I shall be carrying out the works in my home. I would appreciate if anyone could give me their opinion on my order; Whether this is the best way or not or just give recommendations, I would be very grateful for your information and reasons why.

I thought this order below would be the best way; to prevent any inconvenience to other jobs having to be re-done again.

1. Full Central Heating system

2. Garden Paving

3. Guttering Around the House

4. Ceiling Velux window in the extension downstairs

5. Doors + Architraves

6. Plastering some Ceilings due to cracks

7. Wall conditions prep walls (Plaster or fill) depending on severity, prep for paint

8. New light replacements and socket and switch replacements.

9. Painting

10 Fix Floor boards and install laminate flooring/ skirting and carpet.

I am having the (Upstairs) bathroom changed putting in a new suite; where would this and a new kitchen installation (Downstairs) Prioritise in my list above ?. Please see below in more detail regarding my kitchen.

I am also having a new kitchen installed. The current floor tiles and kitchen shall be removed. The kitchen room shall be like a blank canvas, therefore, should the new floor tiles be installed first, then the new kitchen cupboards etc.. to be installed on top of the tiles ? or should the kitchen be installed on the concrete then floor tile around after (vice versa)?

Because the old Kitchen floor tiles will be removed where should I prioritize this in my list above? I would assume the job would be messy removing and re-tiling etc...I would appreciate all your advice and opinion on this and my order of work.

Thank you so much, advance.

Sponsored Links
Electrics should be checked before anything else, or at the same time as the central heating.
Don't assume it's all in good condition, and consider carefully if you want any additional sockets, lights relocating etc.

Any replacement items can be done at the end - but only if it is literally replacing and existing item with another similar one.
Anything involving new wiring, additional sockets, relocating switches etc. must be done before anything else, otherwise your newly decorated walls will be destroyed, newly carpeted floors lifted etc.

Kitchens generally fitted first and then the floor covering installed.
You can do it the other way, but this will waste a substantial amount of materials as you will have your tiles etc. under all of the units.

from your list

7. Wall conditions prep walls (Plaster or fill) depending on severity, prep for paint
5. Doors + Architraves
9. Painting
2. Garden Paving

Sponsored Links
from your list

5. Doors + Architraves
9. Painting
2. Garden Paving

So just to confirm you recommend

2. New light replacements and socket and switch replacements.
3. Ceiling Velux window in the extension downstairs
4. Wall conditions prep walls (Plaster or fill) depending on severity, prep for paint
5. Plastering some Ceilings due to cracks
6. Doors + Architraves
7. Painting
8 Fix Floor boards and install laminate flooring/ skirting and carpet.
9. Guttering Around the House
10. Garden Paving

Thank you so much for you input

Personally I'd paint before fitting the architraves, for the same reasons as skirting: you don't have to paint to an edge and then slowly cut in, you don't have brush marks from cutting I , you don't end up with paint on your architraves/skirting

If you buy light switches with detachable decorative faceplates (e.g. Faceplates thst hide the screws) then leave them off until after painting, for the reasons above: the backing plate needn't be removed, just roller round it carefully, but you don't need to worry abo getting paint on the edge of it, as the decorative face hides it

In rooms with carpet, fit the skirting before the carpet
In rooms with laminate, fit the skirting after the laminate

1-3 can be simultaneous

Plaster ceilings before prepping / plastering walls for paint as the walls WILL end up with plaster or dirty water splattered on them. Wipe the water splashes off before painting (Do new-5 before new-4)

Make sure the walls are dry before painting. Thickly plastered walls can take MONTHS to dry properly. Alternatively use a paint dedicated for new plaster; it's porous when dry and will allow the plaster to dry out

Not sure what you mean by fix floor boards, your plasterers will want something to walk on, ensure the floor is sound before doing 4. If you don't want crap on your floor that you'll later have to clean, visit the local carpet warehouse and ask them for some second hand rolls out of their skip

Hence the order:

• Full Central Heating system, New light replacements and socket and switch replacements. Ceiling Velux window in the extension downstairs
  • Fix floor boards
  • Plastering some Ceilings due to cracks
  • Wall conditions prep walls (Plaster or fill) depending on severity, prep for paint
  • Waiting for plaster to dry properly or use microporous paint
  • Painting
  • Doors + Architraves, skirting in carpeted rooms, laminate flooring then final skirting
  • Guttering Around the House, Garden Paving

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back