Which manufacturer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving house and having the electrics rewired. If you had the choice which manufacturer would you prefer? Is MK stuff all it's made out to be?

Sponsored Links
My sparkie will decide what I want? Don't be silly.

I will specify what I want.

If you are that sure then specify what you want - be it MK or someone else's.

You might actually credit your electrician with a little intelligence. Any good electrician will advise their customer what is their preferred choice and may fit something else if that's what the customer wants. Personally I specify certain brands as my preference because I know they are easy to fit and wont get me involved in call backs when they give up after nine months. Based on bad experiences with poor quality goods I refuse to fit certain other brands and certainly dont give any warranty on any provided by the customer.

Sponsored Links
While I agree that it would be foolish for the OP to trundle off to B+Q and buy a sack load of wiring accesories for his sparky to fit, theres nothing wrong with putting sensible requirements in the spec :)

The more leeway you have, the easier it'll be for you though, some electricians are very used to the layout of a certain brand, or certain brands are unavailable in some wholesalers, so rather than specifying MK electric for everything, it would be better to specify along the lines of "Consumer unit to be a split load unit manufacturerd by MK electric, Crabtree, Wylex, MEM or Merlin Gerin, with at least 2 spare fuseways on each side for further expansion, Wiring accessories to be use made by MK electric or crabtree"

Though if the contractor you choose is good then he'll fit a good brand, because he doesn't want to come back and fix it if it breaks and doesn't want to give the impression that he uses bargain basment kit and cuts corners!

So a rough idea of what you want and talk to the electrician and see if he is happy to install that :) , if he wants to install volex, put the quote in the bin ;)

If you are that sure then specify what you want - be it MK or someone else's.

No I'm not sure hence my original question.

it would be better to specify along the lines of "Consumer unit to be a split load unit manufacturerd by MK electric, Crabtree, Wylex, MEM or Merlin Gerin...........if he wants to install volex, put the quote in the bin ;)

Thanks Adam_151. There is nothing sinister behind my question. I have been in construction for more years than I care to remember and I will need electrical work done shortly. So I thought "I wonder what an electrician would use in his own home", that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back