Recommended Suppliers...

One thing that puzzles me - doesn't most of domestic work you guys do come from people who aren't going to be going into wholesalers to buy stuff?

The fact that Acme Electrical Holdings Ltd will sell items to me at "trade" price doesn't affect any professional sparky, as I wouldn't be employing their services anyway.

Sponsored Links
I have to be very competitive on materials, otherwise I just get the response "How much? I can get it for x pounds less at so and so place, and my mate down the road will fit it for me"

If me and the customer are using the same suppliers, you can see that there is little scope for a margin on meterials.

I don't know if my area is unique (doubt it) but I have great trouble "selling" a job to some, and when it comes to explaining the materials costs, all they see is the price. The fact that what they intend to use to do the job may not meet regulation, or even if it does, they have chosen far inferior quality gear, makes no difference to them.

Eg: Quoted for a garage supply. SWA, 2x RCD's Metal CU, weatherproof gear, anti corrosive flu for water resistance etcetera. IE a pukka job.

Turned down in favour of a mate who strung a bit of 1.00mm out of a window, plugged into a socket with a trailing 4 way on the end. I can hear him now....."You're right as rain now mate. Fancy that spark charging £XXX for that". They don't even compare like with like.

But anyway, I digress.

I think what this boils down to is that the Great British Public are Tight as ducks rear passages and don't think it appropriate for a highly qualified person to earn a decent living.

It amazes me, I know plumbers that charge far more than we, and dry liners, no-one ever baulks at their prices, yet whenever we give a private individual or a small business owner a quote..Sharp intact of breath, and then the usual, "Oh I thought it would be cheaper than that!" comment.

We charge far less than our competitors, and make a nice living, nothing extortionate, yet the tight a**e British public seem to want it for free.

My usual response is to ask them how much they value their time, and ask them to put a monetary figure on it..that soon shuts them up.

FWL_Engineer said:
I think what this boils down to is that the Great British Public are Tight as ducks rear passages and don't think it appropriate for a highly qualified person to earn a decent living.

It amazes me, I know plumbers that charge far more than we, and dry liners, no-one ever baulks at their prices, yet whenever we give a private individual or a small business owner a quote..Sharp intact of breath, and then the usual, "Oh I thought it would be cheaper than that!" comment.

We charge far less than our competitors, and make a nice living, nothing extortionate, yet the tight a**e British public seem to want it for free.

My usual response is to ask them how much they value their time, and ask them to put a monetary figure on it..that soon shuts them up.

I completely agree. Going back to my friends Car spares shop I never cease to be amazed at people who will spend £300+ pounds on a stereo or £150 on speakers but when told decent quality new brake shoes will cost £25 -£30 say "got anything cheaper, it's only the wife's runaround" or "nah I'll leave it mate, I can get them for £10" What they actually buy are far east rubbish not fit for a donkey cart. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
OK, since I started this thread, here's my 2p's worth (no extra commission included)

securespark said:
I have to drive to the place, park, queue, and drive back. Do I charge nothing for this service?

Why not? As a consumer, then I would rather see this cost as it is justifiable, within reason. Plus it's a cost that isn't unnecessarily going to change. In a former life as a sales man and sales training consultant (and yes I do consultations!), openess without whinging secures a sale... it shows honesty, integrity and, above all else, you are a character that can be trusted.

securespark said:
I bet there are loads of tradesmen who make a good profit on materials - I know at least 2 plumbers and one builder who do. Why not?

It's a shame that they cannot command a good price for their tradesmanship... and need to resort to "false pricing" to inflate their "profit". Confidence in the product, i.e. the person who's doing the work in this respect, is more important than anything else... again, as a consumer, I'd feel more secure with a trademan who's confident in their ability to command a good price through their trade (and yes, I paid a plasterer 3 times more than a quote I received as they provided me with the confidence that they could give me a job well done, and I haven't regretted it)

FD

FD

funkydiver said:
OK, since I started this thread, here's my 2p's worth (no extra commission included)

securespark said:
I have to drive to the place, park, queue, and drive back. Do I charge nothing for this service?

Why not? As a consumer, then I would rather see this cost as it is justifiable, within reason. Plus it's a cost that isn't unnecessarily going to change.

Scuse my dimness, are you saying, 'why not' as in yes secure should charge extra, or the opposite?

I looked at this thread as I was looking for cheaper places to go than B&Q.

If we can get stuff cheaper as DIYers then I don't see a problem.

I got what I wanted a lot cheaper from WF.

My Policy has always been to charge clients what I or the company (Franklin-Wood Ltd) pay for materials. We charge for labour and at this time this covers our costs.

We charge, as you can see from the website, £18.50 per hour, we pay our sparks £12.90 per hour if on the books, but if CIS £15.00 per hour.

I, and the other directors, take a wage from the company of £32,000 per year via under tax payments and dividend payments to avoid personal tax. This is all very legal and above board.

We all make a living, and we do not rip our customers off either. As this compnay grows I assume we will take a greater dividend payment and then pay tax on that extra.

The company made a small profit last year of around £47K after tax, all of that has been ploughed back into the company.

Projections for this tax year are good, we have secured a few more contracts and have been awarded one contract valued at nearly £375,000, this will be started in August and completed by January.

We could charge our clients more, but why? We don't make huge profits, but we have steady work, and we are growing fast enough to stay in control. I never see the point in making "the fast buck" when I can make more by taking things a little easier.

I am also fortunate in that I am involved in more than one company so my personal income is higher in total.

I am also investigating setting up another company at this time, although the capital to start-up may cause a few months delay in this.

NickC said:
I looked at this thread as I was looking for cheaper places to go than B&Q.

If we can get stuff cheaper as DIYers then I don't see a problem.

I got what I wanted a lot cheaper from WF.

A problem can, and does, occur when people expect equipment they've bought to be fitted by someone else. If there is a subsequent problem and it is down to the parts there can be bad feeling when the tradesman says it's their responsibilty not his/hers. If the parts were supplied by the trader then it is obviously his responsibilty to replace them. That, I think, is why it is not unreasonable to charge extra for the parts. It covers the trader and avoids bad feeling.
The only exception I have is when a trader gets something at £30 and tries to charge £130 for it.

Studders said:
funkydiver said:

securespark said:

Why not? As a consumer, then I would rather see this cost as it is justifiable, within reason. Plus it's a cost that isn't unnecessarily going to change.

Scuse my dimness, are you saying, 'why not' as in yes secure should charge extra, or the opposite?

errr... yes and no... I'm saying that the charge should show how the final bill is made up in component parts. So, rather than charging extra, itemise it.

IF I saw a quote that said £120 to fit a "wossit", then another one that said £130 with the component parts to it, I know which I'd rather commission. I suppose it all boils down to value for money.

Studders

YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!

I am happy to fit materials provided by others, but make sure it is on the paperwork that should they go t*ts up then I will not be responsible for costs incurred in replacing them.

I had a guy who I fitted a ceiling light (supplied by him) for in 1996. Yes, you guessed, he rang up last month complaining one of the lampholders was not working and what was I going to do about it....Can you believe it?

Feeky Chucker!

FWL

My response to a customer who says "Ooooh that's far too much!" is to say "How much are you prepared to pay for that work?"

Most say "Don't know" to which my response is "So how do you know that my estimate is high, then?"

Some mention an absurdly low figure which is when I head for the door, with the parting shot "You'll never get a pro spark to do it for that".......

I often have to reduce my hourly rate to get the job, as FW says, people have purses with duck's sphincters, so to add a % onto materials is no crime.

Funky - Your 2p cheque's in the post!

funkydiver said:
errr... yes and no... I'm saying that the charge should show how the final bill is made up in component parts. So, rather than charging extra, itemise it.

IF I saw a quote that said £120 to fit a "wossit", then another one that said £130 with the component parts to it, I know which I'd rather commission. I suppose it all boils down to value for money.

Right, think I've gotcha. Yes I agree the bill should be itemised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back