Recommended Suppliers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The scene... full rewire in a four bedroom house, including data and AV networks, along with "some" Home Automation (probably X10).

The problem... I know what I want in terms of "hardware", i.e MK switches / sockets, etc.

The question... what recommendations for supplying the "kit" for me to do the install...? The HA, Data and AV stuff (except faceplates) I have already sorted, it's more the electrical "stuff".

I'd prefer to be able to do everything online or with a suitable suplpier in the Darlington / South Durham area.

Of particular relevance is a supplier who would be able to easily order catalogue items from MK in particular (certain sockets).

Also, if there's such a place that would provide refund on unused items, this would be the ideal. Cabling, wall boxes and the like (not sockets). Sound sketchy? Well, I want to get the rewire done within the first week of moving in, but until I move in I can't "thoroughly" plan the layout... e.g. exact socket locations, existing back boxes, joist layout, etc.

Many thanks,

FD

Sponsored Links
Newey & Eyre Ltd
Unit 23, Edward St Albert Hill
Darlington County Durham
DL1 2UP

Tel: 01325 460577

Edmundson Electrical Ltd
Unit 14, Cleveland Ind Est Cleveland St
Darlington County Durham
DL1 2PB

Tel: 01325 466441

Eyre & Elliston Ltd
9a-9b, Carrmere Rd Leechmere Industrial Estate
Sunderland Tyne and Wear
SR2 9TW

Tel: 0191 5218970

J Charnock (Electrical Wholesalers) Ltd
1, Harts Buildings Middleton St. George
Darlington County Durham
DL2 1EQ

Tel: 01325 332957

Here are the best located in Darlington. Those in Bold are the National Chains, Eddies are Eyre and Elliston are the best, both will deliver and both will take payment by credit card, cash or cheque..supported of course.

Charnock I know of from some work we did in the region and a friend from that part of the world who uses them, saysd they are one of the better ones in the area, but unable to complete with the likes of Eddies, E&E and Newey's for price due to the shear volume the these can bulk buy.

You'll probably be told their cr*p but this is where I get all my electic stuff from, delivery is good and you can order it all online here the only problem is unless you tick the little box you end up with loads of their catalogues (no I don't have any vested interest)

Richardp said:
You'll probably be told their cr*p but this is where I get all my electic stuff from, delivery is good and you can order it all online here the only problem is unless you tick the little box you end up with loads of their catalogues (no I don't have any vested interest)

Not necessarilly cr*p, but more expensive than the national chains.

Sponsored Links
The advantage of TLC, suggested by Richardp, is that you can order on-line and get the goods delivered. The national wholesalers are not geared up to do that (yet).

But Screwfix is cheaper, for a smaller range, and the service first class.

Stod said:
The advantage of TLC, suggested by Richardp, is that you can order on-line and get the goods delivered. The national wholesalers are not geared up to do that (yet).

But Screwfix is cheaper, for a smaller range, and the service first class.

That is not true..you simply need an account to log into the secure area..however if you KNOW what you want, you can phone a branch, pay for it by credit card over the phone, and have it delivered the next day..same as TLC or Screwfix, and they will be a darn sight cheaper that TLC or Screwfix

FWL_Engineer said:
[...if you KNOW what you want...

And therein lies the problem for your average DIY-er. As you know, wholesalers have several pricing schemes and are not generally known for their open-armed friendliness towards the general public. I get decent wholesale prices, but I bet you get everything far cheaper because of quantity and regular contacts. In years past I have found some wholesalers to have retail prices in excess of the sheds. CEF for one.

I use my local Denmans regularly. The staff are friendly and eficient and they know me because I'm in there all the time. But it took a few visits to establish that relationship.

Many thanks all for the suggestions so far....

I suppose the proof in the pudding might be when I come to ask for quotes.

At least with a supplier it'll be a case of supplying a list of the bits I need and waiting for the price, the downside of an internet "warehouse", increasing convenience??

Took me an hour to put together a simple (and I mean Simple) list for about a tenth of what I'm after on one of the web suppliers.... I don't relish trying to get "quotes" from a number of online suppliers...

FWL... from memory/impression, are the suppliers you suggested "sympathetic" to the DIYer??

FD

funkydiver said:
FWL... from memory/impression, are the suppliers you suggested "sympathetic" to the DIYer??

FD

If you have the money, they don't care, but don't expect to pump them for advise, they normally know less that a cat..unlike the old days were they were very knowledgable.

You need to sit and consider everything you will need, cable, accessories, fixings, etc, the whole lot, make a generic list, then fax this to everyone, play them off against each other for the best price..you will be surprised what a little haggle will do.

This post is bound to be controversial - the taboo subject of profit margins......

I don't want to alienate the DiYers, but personally, I detest wholsalers who sell to the public at the same discount.

It defeats the object. From a traders pov, if I can get a wholesale price, and add on a decent profit margin, and still come in less than the sheds, then great! Both me and the end user win.

But a lot of people outside the trade are now getting very favourable prices at counters that used to be strictly for trade only. This is effectively cutting my profit margin.

And before you all jump, I'm not being greedy, looking for vast profit, but a reasonable margin. We all have to make a profit.

How much do you think the sheds make?

What sort of profit margins do corner shopkeepers aim for? 1/3rd? 50%?

A loaf that costs 55p in Tesco could easily be twice that in a corner shop.

Without risking starting a WAAAY too controversial "discussion", whilst I respect a right to a profit margin, I've worked in both retail and wholesale environments in the past... and I'm in no way suggesting that any smaller scale wholesalers do this, however, I myself have "bumped" the price to a non-regular (whether they were trade or not), as this gave me extra margin for the regulars, which by the nature of the beast is the trade user. (After all there's only so many widgets a DIYer can buy!!)

It's a simple fact of basic economics in my case, and if a wholesaler is prepared to skim their profit margin to a win win situation for both of us, then I'm in favour of it. After all, no one would sell at a loss cos that aint the way business works.

The other side of it is that I'm more likely to return as a future customer to buy a one off if I need one, say for a shower, or garden lighting, or a garage door opener... and that's where the wholesaler gets the profit back.

I'm also likely to do what FWL has done and say... "go to so and so, they gave me a great price"

I suppose the question would be, how much does customer loyalty and "free" advertising cost compared to a one off deal??

FD

securespark said:
This post is bound to be controversial - the taboo subject of profit margins......

I don't want to alienate the DiYers, but personally, I detest wholsalers who sell to the public at the same discount.
Well, you haven't upset me, just prompted me to do a bit of sounding off (and ditto re not alienating pro sparkies).

IT'S A FREE MARKET. Anybody is free to sell anything to anybody else (subject to any legal restrictions) for any price they want. You cannot stop them, and I would hate to live in a society where anybody could stop them.

It defeats the object. From a traders pov, if I can get a wholesale price, and add on a decent profit margin, and still come in less than the sheds, then great! Both me and the end user win.

But a lot of people outside the trade are now getting very favourable prices at counters that used to be strictly for trade only. This is effectively cutting my profit margin.
Life's a bïtch. And the world does not owe you a living.

And before you all jump, I'm not being greedy, looking for vast profit, but a reasonable margin. We all have to make a profit.
Of course you do, and I do not begrudge you one penny of yours, no matter where or how you make it. The free market I referred to above applies to you, and the goods and services you supply, as much as it does to any wholesaler. Ultimately it all comes out in the wash. You need to put food on the table, and you compete against your fellows in a free market (NICEIC and Part P notwithstanding), whilst carrying out the balancing act of competitiveness vs viability. All your customers care about, price-wise, is the bottom line - why should they care what the ratio of markup:labour is?

How much do you think the sheds make?
Whatever it is it's too much, as the service they provide is not in keeping with the prices they charge. Even RS are cheaper for many things.

What sort of profit margins do corner shopkeepers aim for? 1/3rd? 50%?

A loaf that costs 55p in Tesco could easily be twice that in a corner shop.
Yup, and when you want a loaf of bread at 6 AM, or 11 PM, you are free to decide whether to walk around the corner, or get in your car and drive to Tescos. I don't know of any corner-shop proprietors who are not very keen businessmen.

Returning to the topic at hand though, I've bought from TLC, and I can honestly say that they are aptly named. If you're a DIY-er, then the difference in their prices is probably not very important compared to the service and quality of product detail they provide. I get the feeling that they are more aimed at the knowledgeable DIY-er more than the professional, and as they are still in business they must be doing something right.

Screwfix BTW are also aptly named, and are just an online shed. Literally.

To be honest I think Simon and I will disagree on this. We, and when I was simply self-employed, do not make any money on materials.

No successful contractor does. You charge the client what you pay, then you make money on the labour costs. The main difference between contractors is the level of discount that can be squeezed from wholesalers and the margins on the labour costs.

Personally I prefer to make a little profit, but from a lot of work. Our average, on both contractors, is about 2.9%, not a lot, but everyone is happy. Our competitors make an average of 4.5 to 5% from less work. Annually we have healthier books and credit ratings, which means we are able to quote for work others cannot, even when they have better profit margins.

On the subject of wholesalers selling retail...

I thought there were restrictions on this as they do not usually pay the same level of local authority charges as retailers?
A friend who owns a Car spares shop had a similar problem when a new factors opened nearby. They were selling to public for same price as trade and it was killing his business. He complained and got a reduction in his rates and the factors were warned if they sold retail then they would have to pay retail rates.
On the point of making a profit out of parts I think it is justifiable if the tradesman has to spend his time sourceing and collecting parts, he will also be the customers first port of call if there are any faults in the parts used and this has to be factored for.

Jim

I agree with Studders on this one. A lot of my work involves small jobs for the elderly (I am recommended by the local branch of Help The Aged) eg little old ladies (no offence meant whatsoever) asking me to go out and get them a "so and so".

I have to drive to the place, park, queue, and drive back. Do I charge nothing for this service?

Ban

Yes it is a free market, and I agree with you: the world does not owe me a living - I have to go out and find it.

Where I can , I add on a reasonable margin to materials - I'm not greedy, but nor am I a charity. Wholesalers selling retail makes it difficult to do this, and I'm sorry Jim, but I do disagree with you on this point. I bet there are loads of tradesmen who make a good profit on materials - I know at least 2 plumbers and one builder who do. Why not? A shopkeeper would add a decent profit margin to his products, as would any high street retailer. Why should the trades be any different?

On another point, I know a wholesaler (who shall remain nameless) who gives large (68%+) discounts on their list prices, often the computer gives an alert when the discount is too high, but I still get the discount.

I know many trade prices are up there with the flying pigs, and are wholly unrealistic, but I'm talking about discounts off the more down-to-earth already discounted prices. What does this say about the price to start with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back