who does not speed

just a question hre but how on earth (it has been mentioned twice) do people think that if you go faster, especially on motorways do you not get there any quicker?
We think because that's generally, although not exclusively, what happens. Try it - you'll see. And you'll be less stressed, less dangerous, and will use less fuel.

and softus, you ont speed in a car yet you do on a bike
On a motorway, yes, and for the reasons I've given, that you appear not to have digested.

hypocrite springs to mind, you either speed or you dont, it matters not what vehicle your doing it in.
If the cap fits then I'll wear it, but you've made no attempt to understand my point.

I know that it annoys some car drivers to see a bike overtake, but these tend to be the same people who don't see bikes coming and who represent the biggest hazard. You can tell them a mile off, purely by car 'body language'.

I don't ask to be excused for speeding on a bike, and I gave my reason for habitually doing so. By all means judge me, but at least read and understand the words I've written. I don't speed for reasons of haste, which is a state of mind that leads people to make mistakes.

The question by the OP was "who does not speed", not "please all come and snipe at each other". If you don't have anything constructive to say about why you do or don't speed, then it beats me why you think your posts are of any value.

Sponsored Links
Well put Softus.

I also don't break speed limits in an attempt to get anywhere faster and agree that it seldom turns out that way unless on a very long motorway journey and, even then, the difference is usually negligable.

On my journey home in the evening (12 miles or so), if my wife and I leave at the same time, she will be pulling onto the drive as I'm going through the front door and she drives significantly slower than me.

As I've said, I break speed limits where I believe it is safe to do so because I'm comfortable with it. I often drive at 90mph or so on motorways and have no problem whatsoever with people flying past me on bikes or in cars.

I learnt many years ago that, no matter how fast I drive, there will always be someone who wants to drive faster.

So be it, their choice, their consequences if it goes awry. Certainly not something I would consider attempting to give someone a kicking over.

That suggests a far more worrying personality disorder IMO.

MW

just a question hre but how on earth (it has been mentioned twice) do people think that if you go faster, especially on motorways do you not get there any quicker?
We think because that's generally, although not exclusively, what happens. Try it - you'll see. And you'll be less stressed, less dangerous, and will use less fuel.

and softus, you ont speed in a car yet you do on a bike
On a motorway, yes, and for the reasons I've given, that you appear not to have digested.

hypocrite springs to mind, you either speed or you dont, it matters not what vehicle your doing it in.
If the cap fits then I'll wear it, but you've made no attempt to understand my point.

I know that it annoys some car drivers to see a bike overtake, but these tend to be the same people who don't see bikes coming and who represent the biggest hazard. You can tell them a mile off, purely by car 'body language'.

I don't ask to be excused for speeding on a bike, and I gave my reason for habitually doing so. By all means judge me, but at least read and understand the words I've written. I don't speed for reasons of haste, which is a state of mind that leads people to make mistakes.

The question by the OP was "who does not speed", not "please all come and snipe at each other". If you don't have anything constructive to say about why you do or don't speed, then it beats me why you think your posts are of any value.

if you look back softus i openly admitted i speed and when and were and why, i however do not condemn others who do the same, so mr know **** all if you look at my post you will see that i speed on motorways as i drive on them a lot and yes it does get me there quicker.

i'm with A 2 Z, ANYBODY THAT THINKS CLARKSON IS A DICK gets my vote :LOL:

Sponsored Links
it IS possible to both respect the speeding law and want to break it.

if one of my children is knocked down by a speeding motorist, then i would want the book thrown at the idiot speeder.

but regards the ambulance carrying my injured child, i would not want it to be hanging around, waiting for lights to change or dawdling in traffic.

And, if the ambulance carrying your injured child driving at speed knocks down and kills someone else's child, how do you reconcile that one?

And, if the ambulance carrying your injured child driving at speed knocks down and kills someone else's child, how do you reconcile that one?

i cannot, only to say that the ambulance has big flashing lights, a very loud siren and is driven by a trained and alert driver.

do you have blues and twos MW?

They won't stop the child running out in front of it.

a child will run out in front of any vehicle whether it is doing the speed limit or not. thats children for you.

the point is, that child will have a better chance of living the slower a vehicle is going upon impact with that child.

and this forms the basis of my whole argument.

we cannot control very young children 100% of the time.

but we can control our speed.

an ambulance driver will take ALL necessary precautions.

you'll be telling me next that you have your hand on the horn and your lights flashing when you speed. :rolleyes:

You'll be telling me next that you have your hand on the horn and your lights flashing when you speed.
No, actually I'm concentrating on driving safely as opposed to listening to my paramedic partner screaming instructions at me from behind :rolleyes:

Noseall wrote.......the point is, that child will have a better chance of living the slower a vehicle is going upon impact with that child.

and this forms the basis of my whole argument

I wondered when someone would hit on what speed restrictions, particularly in urban areas, are all about. They are not about whether you are more likly to have an accident at speed (in fact you could argue you concentrate more the faster you drive) they are there to limit the damage when an accident does happen.
Now I guess some smart arse will contradict that

Noseall wrote.......the point is, that child will have a better chance of living the slower a vehicle is going upon impact with that child.

and this forms the basis of my whole argument

I wondered when someone would hit on what speed restrictions, particularly in urban areas, are all about. They are not about whether you are more likely to have an accident at speed (in fact you could argue you concentrate more the faster you drive) they are there to limit the damage when an accident does happen.
Now I guess some smart a**e will contradict that

Exactly right, speed reduction reduces injuries and damage, when that accident happens.
Very few people will go through life without being involved in some sort of car accident.

This Government views a reduction in speed limits in urban areas as a form of absolution from blame when someone is killed and there are things which don't get done as a consequence ...

• Footbridges over or subways under busy roads
    Roadside railings outside school gates
    Road layouts to avoid high risk areas
    Compulsary front end crumple zones for ALL vehicles, not just cars ... HGV's are currently exempt and yet they would kill at less than 30mph
    A more comprehensive driving test to raise driving standards
    More police on the streets to enforce them
    Harsher penalties for all forms of distraction whilst driving ... Eating, drinking, smoking, women doing their hair/makeup, screaming at kids in the passenger seat, screaming at kids in the back seat, mobile phones, programming the satnav et al
    Better education of schoolchildren ... Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code?
And I'm sure there are many more.

Simply reducing speed limits isn't the answer ... Do things to prevent the accidents don't just worry about impact reduction once they have.

Common sense AFAIC.

If these are issues for you then ask yourself what you've done about them ... Answer ... Probably sod all.

So you comfort yourself by ranting on an internet forum about someone doing 40mph in a 30mph zone :rolleyes:

MW

Stop Press

All forms of transport are to be banned - they are deemed too dangerous.
In fact, anybody caught exceeding walking pace, well, they should hang their head in shame.

Sponsored Links
Back