windows 8 wifi connection problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people windows 8 hasn't lived up to the hype it showed on commercials.
the main problem people are having is wifi problems which keeps going to a limited connection where the wireless icon in the task bar has a yellow triangle with a ! in it and it also says limited no internet access.
what microsoft hasn't told you is that the problem is with the wireless adapter there is a option in the wireless task manager that says turn of this device when not in use.
heres how to sort that problem out...
1, place your pointer on the wireless icon in your task bar and right click on it
2, select the open network and sharing option
3, when you've chosen that option on the right hand side it should say your wifi ssid click on that and it should open the wireless status box
4, in wifi status box click properties the one at the bottom and that should bring up wireless properties
5, click on configure and that will open a box that says wireless network adapter settings
6, choose the power management option
7, there is an option that says allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
8, click the box so the tick is not visible in other words de select that option
9, close the the open windows
10 , restart the computer and hey presto no more limited signs but you must restart the pc
now enjoy uninterrupted internet access

thank you thought id share this with you as certain IP providers charge £50 to send an engineer out

Sponsored Links
I'm not a Windows user but I'm sure your little "How-To" will help several people so have a "Thanks" from me.

According to my elder Brother it takes some digging to find out how to do an actual "Hard-Reboot" so perhaps you can amend your "How-To" with that little tid bit ?

Regards

Paul

thank you for your input but what do you want to reboot? harddrive,router or something else?

According to my elder Brother it takes some digging to find out how to do an actual "Hard-Reboot"

Seriously, you don't know how to re-start your computer ? Because that's what the OP mentions in his post. (I reckon your brother is telling you lies) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
ok if your using win 8 upgrade free to win 8.1 when down load is complete do the same as in prev post and then restart again works even better.plus on your router check what channels other users are using and choose a channel that no one is using and select mode from b/g/n to b/g
it will work its just trial and error until you find a setting that suits you

I clearly stated that I don't use windows.

I'm a Linux aficionado.

I'd
[code:1]sudo reboot or halt[/code:1]

My brother told me that Win 8 only sleeps/hibernates when switching off. To do an actual hard reboot needs some digging to find, hence my question !

I guess I'd better simply google it myself just for the knowledge.

Not that I'm ever going to need it !

CylonRaider";p="2912385 said:
My brother told me that Win 8 only sleeps/hibernates when switching off. To do an actual hard reboot needs some digging to find, hence my question !
quote]

It wouldn't surprise we that Win8 does not, by default, shut down fully. As far as I am concerned in its out of the box form it's not fit for purpose (polite term). However there is a keystroke ALT-F4 which in all versions of Windows since 3.1 (or possibly earlier) closes the current window. If that window is the Windows start-up window, it will prompt to Log out, shut down etc.

HTH

my bad yes u can use ALT+F4 to do a full system shut down or restart etc etc
and in reply to jockscott the restart option is there just sign out then click power icon and the option is there :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back