Wired a fluorescent.. wont work !

Dave9 said:
Why does this forum even exist if your not gonna DIY?
The forum exists in order to give people advice so that they can DIY safely.

you know for a fact that its possible, but why do you persist in not providing me the info i need to get this up and running... instead refer me to pre built equipment thus cutting out the whole aspect of diy electricity.
Everybody is telling you the same thing, and for a good reason. You ask what the point of this site is - I'd like to ask you what the point is of you coming here, asking for advice, and then refusing to accept what everyone is telling you.

I admit i am new to electricity, i cannot think for myself, if i am illustrated then i can copy and get the job done.
That has to be about the most dangerous attitude to electrical work that there is.

If you won't listen to advice on ****ing about with these lights, then please take this bit:

Put that project on hold, and do one of these DIY projects next:

Sponsored Links
Just add to what Ban has said and all the other very knowlegeable guys on this forum, who give advice freely to genuine DIYers. You really do need to heed the advice given. Your enthusiasm is laudible but misdirected.
If as you say, you are keen to learn, enrol on a night school class at your local college. They will teach you the right way to handle electricity. When your 20 you think you will live forever, sadly this is not so.

How about an invite to your 21st Birthday?

Ok thanks, good advice.

ok i've binned everything, it is a bad idea. (for me)

anybody want to buy some stuff...lol

20 x 20W T12 Bipin Philip Tubes... make me a offer.
These are brand new & no i havent touched these.

Where can i learn the basics about electricity online?

I've also ordered one of these:

FGGT30.JPG

I dont see a plug in the picture, will i have to wire anything up?
:)

Dave9 said:
I dont see a plug in the picture, will i have to wire anything up?
yes, a plug. See the 2 way terminal block at the far end of the gear tray, that is where you wire the mains wire to.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
See the 2 way terminal block at the far end of the gear tray, that is where you wire the mains wire to.
3-way terrminal block. Looks like this item must be earthed.

Dave9 said:
Where can i learn the basics about electricity online?
Well - here of course. :D

These are also very useful:

http://www.kevinboone.com/electricity.html

http://www.kevinboone.com/domesticinstallations.html

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/index.html

That assembly is still designed to be installed inside an enclosure

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
See the 2 way terminal block at the far end of the gear tray, that is where you wire the mains wire to.
3-way terrminal block. Looks like this item must be earthed.

sorry, the third terminal is obscured by a shadow.

Lectrician said:

It's not gonna be "viewable" to people, its going in my greenhouse for my plants... This sort of light is good for seedlings and clones.

The case must be optional, i cant the case playing any role in electricity side apart from safety, but like i said its not gonna be in contact with kids or anyone... just me!

The item i ordered is out of stock, do you think i'd be able to buy a 40W unit and power 2 bulbs with that?

Sorry for acting a asswipe in my earlier posts, i was just determine to see this thing "light up"... As someone said "Patience is a virtue".

merry xmas & thanks for the replies.

:rolleyes:

Dave9 said:
Lectrician said:

It's not gonna be "viewable" to people, its going in my greenhouse for my plants... This sort of light is good for seedlings and clones.

The case must be optional, i cant the case playing any role in electricity side apart from safety,
But it has to be safe. The law says so. Not putting it in an enclosure will contravene requirement P1 of the Building Regulations...

And talking of which, does the greenhouse already have electricity? If not, how do you plan to get it there?

The item i ordered is out of stock, do you think i'd be able to buy a 40W unit and power 2 bulbs with that?
See here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36547&highlight=starter

Dave9 said:
The case must be optional, i cant the case playing any role in electricity side apart from safety, but like i said its not gonna be in contact with kids or anyone... just me!

1. What if your neighbours water your plants when you go away and accidentally touch the control gear and EXPOSED LIVE TERMINALS? This control gear must be enclosed in an approved enclosure, and as its a greenhouse, it should ideally be waterproof. The tube ends should also be waterproofed to protect those terminals. CLICK this would be ideal for the purpose, it is IP65

2. No, you would need 2 starters, please dont think of modifying the circuitry on these.

Metal framed green house i assume, unprotected control gear, watering plants,hmm nice, Did you get the kit for the coffin?

I see!! It's for the cannabis plantation in the loft!

Be aware there will be a spray or trickle irrigation system, so as well as the IP44 enclosure you ought to have an RCD on the supply.

JohnD said:
I see!! It's for the cannabis plantation in the loft!

Be aware there will be a spray or trickle irrigation system, so as well as the IP44 enclosure you ought to have an RCD on the supply.

*cough* no commento. :LOL:

i'd think if you were running a cannibis plantation part poo would be the least of your legal worries ;)

"Open up, man, it's Dave"
"Who?"
"It's Dave"
"Who?"
"Dave, man, it's Dave - open up"
"Who?"
"DAVE, IT'S DAVE - OPEN THE GODDAM DOOR"
"Dave?"
"Yeah"
"Dave?"
"YEAH!!"
"Dave?"
"Right man, it's Dave, will you open the door?"
"Dave's not here..."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back