Wired a fluorescent.. wont work !

there's a diagram ON THE BALLAST :eek: the "switch" is where the starter goes, and the black box is the ballast.

Sponsored Links
Dave9

I understand that you are trying to make your light work, but from your post, you admit you know and understand nothing.

Dave9 said:
yep happens all the time when i try my electric experiments :evil:

its just a safety box or so im told

The "boys" on here are giving you good advice, please take it.

Note to all.

Please do not tell Dave9 how to do anything that is more potentially dangerous than he has already done, by all means correct him if you wish, but any thing else I consider to be too dangerous, I will lock this post.

regards

Lynda

Forum moderator

crafty1289 said:
there's a diagram ON THE BALLAST :eek: the "switch" is where the starter goes, and the black box is the ballast.

ok thanks for that, even though the diagram makes sense... i still dont know which wire goes where...

My ballast has 4 input holes for wire, i need to know which hole is which,

from the left... is it brown, blue, brown, blue.... or blue, brown, blue brown... Can someone please draw me a complex diagram, I WILL PAY YOU FOR HELPING ME... plz im desperate. :cry:

& NO, this isnt a wind up, why would i do that?

ball8gs.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

moderator said:
Dave9

I understand that you are trying to make your light work, but from your post, you admit you know and understand nothing.

Dave9 said:
yep happens all the time when i try my electric experiments :evil:

its just a safety box or so im told

The "boys" on here are giving you good advice, please take it.

Note to all.

Please do not tell Dave9 how to do anything that is more potentially dangerous than he has already done, by all means correct him if you wish, but any thing else I consider to be too dangerous, I will lock this post.

regards

Lynda

Forum moderator

well maybe if were told how to do something then it would be alot safer for me... Rather than guessing how to do this...

im gonna do it anyway, maybe if i was illustrated where the wires goes, then thats a better chance of not blowing me up.

I understand that the advice you give may not be accurate or you think that'll i'll blow myself up... like i said im doing this anyways and i would appreciate it alot if someone "guided" me through... other than that i'll just have to go with my instinct and hope for the best.

please also note the forum rules, please start with 10a

in case you try anything more dangerous:

there are only TWO terminals there, hence TWO SCREWS above the TWO TERMINALS i dont know why there are 4 holes, but you should be able to use either hole under each screw. ONLY TWO WIRES connect to the ballast, and if you couldn't figure this out from the SIMPLE schematic oON THE BALLAST then you REALLY SHOULD NOT be doing this.

Sponsored Links
i do not know you Dave9, i just do not want to be responsable for your DEATH.

you are missing the whole point, anyone can wire anything "parrot fashion"

what you do not grasp is the principles of how and why things work. the sooner you learn the better, i started in a similar way to you, but i used batteries and small lamps, i then read books on it, (no internet then) then went on to become a qualified electrician.
I too can sympathise with your frustration, but please for the sake of your parents, please give it up now, go and buy some small lamps and batteries or even a kit from maplin (it will teach you a lot), but leave the "big stuff" to those of us who know what we are doing. if you carry on the way you are you will end up DEAD, i would not wish that on anyone even you.

Dave9 said:
well maybe if were told how to do something then it would be alot safer for me

You have been told how/what to do, and it will be a lot safer for you.

GO AND BUY SOME COMPLETE NEW LIGHTS THAT WORK AND JUST CONNECT THEM UP

ban-all-sheds said:
GO AND BUY SOME COMPLETE NEW LIGHTS THAT WORK AND JUST CONNECT THEM UP[/b]

breezer thinks out loud Dave9 is using odd kit and odds and ends, why?
He will also not go and buy anything?
He doesn't "listen" to what he is being "told"
REASON? he is a little kid doing this upstairs in his bedroom

Ok fair enough, but i know i may brush off as a total noob, i have done a few electrical tasks in my time.... all been sucessfull... basic stuff, like fit ceiling lights, ceiling fans, a fitted a thermostat to a oil filled radiator the other day which worked a treat.

This however is doing my head in !!! ... OK my last post, cause i know my presence is not wanted here. Thanks for all the help.

All i need is someone to say the magic word... "Yes"...

Does this do it for you?

florry2qr.jpg

best advice is as someone said buy one,
ITFB with the rest of it you will kill yourself or worse someone else.

breezer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
GO AND BUY SOME COMPLETE NEW LIGHTS THAT WORK AND JUST CONNECT THEM UP[/b]

breezer thinks out loud Dave9 is using odd kit and odds and ends, why?
He will also not go and buy anything?
He doesn't "listen" to what he is being "told"
REASON? he is a little kid doing this upstairs in his bedroom

Yes i am in fact in my room.
I wont go buy stuff because i havent got the money.
I do listen, but nobody seems to understand what im asking.
no im not a kid, i do have bad grammar, sorry for that.
I am 20, not a little school boy you make me out to be thanks.

All i want a diagram, im not asking for a miracle here.

so perhaps you are not a little kid, but you sure do act like one.

its amazing waht happens when you do some research isn't it.

especially since that picture has been staring you (and us) in th face all the time, but still take my advice, go and read up on the subject, learn the principals of how things work.

try a google for "howstuff works" for a start

Is that a 100w ballast? :eek:
I thought 100w ballasts are used in 8ft fittings, not for a 2ft? tube.

Spark123 said:
Is that a 100w ballast? :eek:
I thought 100w ballasts are used in 8ft fittings, not for a 2ft? tube.

I was told @ TLC direct that i could power 4-5 lamps with this choke... i dont know who to believe anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back