Wiring push to break switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking to wire 2 switches; one as a "master" and the other a push-to-break going off to a simple led light.

How does the wiring look in the attachment? Not done it in a long long time!

Sponsored Links
looks OK to me, whats the push to break for ?
also the blue from the push to break should have brown sleeving on the blue to show its switched live
Does the Light need to be earthed?

The push to break is positioned by the wardrobe door, so when the door opens the lights come on, the first switch is simply when someone stumbles in at 2am and doesn't want to wake up the wife with the wardrobe light (y) the light itself didn't come with any earth cabling or points to attach an earth so I have assumed it doesn't need to be .. unless someone tells me otherwise anyway....

It's this one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ykt5...-cabinet-striplight-cool-white-9w-562mm/4012r

Last edited:
Q&A answer said:
These lights are supplied with a powersupply cord, which has the transformer built in.
These lights are required to be plugged into a socket and not hardwired into mains power.

If there a socket with a Earth pin then you will need to provide an Earth connection to the socket.
Check to see if the Press to Break switch requires an Earth, a metal switch is very likely to need an Earth

Sponsored Links
If there a socket with a Earth pin then you will need to provide an Earth connection to the socket.
Check to see if the Press to Break switch requires an Earth, a metal switch is very likely to need an Earth

The power supply feeding all this comes from a plug up in the loft which already had the cable connected and hanging into the wardrobe space (guessing they started thinking about lighting then ....didnt bother.....). Just dawned on me what I think you are saying here, should the cable supplying the power actually be twin-core + earth, then I can connect the earth to the terminator in the wall-mounted switch and also wire an earth from the pushtobreak back to the same earthterminator as well. Right?

Not really.

The regulations state that a CPC(earth wire) be run to all points, BUT that is only so that it is available for future appliances/accessories which might require it. It serves no purpose if they don't.

So, as long as you use plastic switches and Class 2 lights which do not require a CPC, then your cable is fine for wiring which can easily be replaced should the need arise.

Great cheers for the advice. Given everything is plastic and the brown switch live sleeve is on now I have given it a test and everyone is working as it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back