Xmas Lights...Argh!!!! I know its early but . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Right im planning early this year, want to be ahead of the game....

I want to beat the jones`s next door, not only in quantity, but quality...SAD I KNOW

What I need it to devise... or locate a central power board/box just for the lights... I already have an RCD protected external socet, but want to try keep things simple....

Any ideas or pointers on this....

Sponsored Links
Get all ELV lighting - Put all your trannies in a large plastic box like a curb-side recycling box etc, run an extension from your socket to this box. Put box in a thick black back, and up-turn it.

Not ideal, but this is what I always do :evil:

Any mains lighting can also be run from here - But I tend to go for ELV as water ingress in the light fittings etc will not cause operation of the RCD.

Get all ELV lighting - Put all your trannies in a large plastic box like a curb-side recycling box etc, run an extension from your socket to this box. Put box in a thick black back, and up-turn it.

Or get all your ELV lights to be the same AC voltage ( 12 or 24 ) and use one large transformer with inline ( vehicle type ) fuses with one per set of lights.

Faced with fairy lights for a wedding this option saved having to have ten 13 amp sockets and trailing mains cables close to where people were sitting. ( only I didn't put fuses in and trusted the fuse bulbs )

diy sheds sell a box designed for the purpose go have a look.

its so tall you can plug wall warts in and still shut the lid

Sponsored Links
I decorate a couple of houses, this is the main control board for one:

Tech02.jpg

OK not quite what you want but i also use these outside for the trailing sockets/plugs etc:

BT17.jpg

Which is more like what you need i think, you can easily fit two 4-gang power strips inside and a few transformers too, these can be purchased at B&Q and will be with the christmas stuff when they put it out. If thats not what your looking for give us a little more information, you don't say if you want this box/board to go inside or outside, once we know a little more I'm sure we can find or advise you on what you need.

All the best
Dan

Please, please, please, spare a thought for the minority out there who exhibit taste and decency at this ridiculous time of year.

If you must celebrate this ludicrous invention of the marketing industry then please don't inflict your garish offerings to the god of "Aw, it's all abaht the kiddies, innit?" on innocent, sensible citizens.

Putting your Christmas lights on the outside is a bit like having a personalised number plate.

Do you see?

No, not really.

I dont have a personalised plate, and never would.

But I like to light my trees at xmas. I like to see it when driving home, when I look from the window, and when I return home from a walk.

It is warm, welcoming, and christmasy. It feels good.

The neighbours feel similar, and do the same kind of thing.

I do not light my garden up like the seventh bridge, but I do like to have some lights in the trees.

Personalied plate Vs xmas lights - worlds apart.

Try putting the bloody things up on lamp posts and in shopping centers.
(starting this Sunday morning)

That will help you really despise them :evil:

Are you sure they are not done by miserable christmas hating electricians? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back