Xpelair WX6 Vintage 1987

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have had very bad customer service from Applied Energy.

They cannot, or will not tell me if there is a modern unit that will retro-fit the flush wall-mounted casing for this fan.

Do you know?

Problem is, the solenoid has packed up and they are now obsolete. If I can't find one at a reasonable price, I want to try and fit a whole new guts, but without carving up the wall.

It has been suggested that I ask a local motor re-winder to re-wind the coil for me.

Anybody got any other bright ideas?

EDIT: someone was here in 09....

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198712
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forgive me for resurrecting this old thread...

I am still trying to sort out this old WX6 fan

Like I say, it's an '87 vintage with 4 fixing screws on the fan frame which attach to the gubbins plastered into the wall.

I really would rather not have to rip the wall to pieces.....and so would Mother Secure!!

Can anybody shed any light on it for me? AE are still proving hard work.

Sponsored Links
The advice to have the solenoid re-wound ( assuming it is open circuit or otherwise coil damaged ) may be the best way to tackle the problem.

If you can strip the solenoid down and release the bobbin then providing it is a simple spool shaped bobbin rewinding is a simple task. With care it can be done using an electric drill to rotate the bobbin while you guide the wire to form even layers as it winds onto the bobbin. Though much better to get it wound by a coil winder with the right equipment.

If you fill the bobbin with the same gauge of wire as original then it will be approximately the right impedance and should work without problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back