You won't see this on the BBC

Reality - that's what they usually report. A good bit more reliably than others as well. The other decent source is C4 also state owned but aiming to be mischievous as they put it themselves.

And sometimes, their 'reality' doesn't quite align with actual reality and that's where Ofcom come in, The BBC has been forced to issue a fair number of apologies over the years, only an idiot would declare them whiter than white.

Sponsored Links
The BBC has been forced to issue a fair number of apologies over the years, only an idiot would declare them whiter than white.
What news source hasn't? You are just viewing info like that to suite your own beliefs - as you often do.

I am not the one making the accusation, the onus is on Vinty, are you his glove puppet?
It isn't up to me, as any suggestion i would make would be open to accusations of bias.
Do you think the BBC should be exempt from oversight.

What news source hasn't? You are just viewing info like that to suite your own beliefs - as you often do.

I'm viewing the info that way because I'm not a blinkered idiot who believes the BBC are paragons of virtue and whiter than white. As you say, they're 'as bad' as any other news outlet.

Sponsored Links
As you say, they're 'as bad' as any other news outlet.

And there you are using an avatar of some one that was well known for misleading reporting.

You used the word bad not me so please make your quotes accurate. I'd still say better than most and generally not pushing some particular view or aiming to stir things up.

C4 is similar. Good reporting on Biden today showing things that others haven't. They could have spent the whole hour and extend as per the BBC but didn't. Why did the BBC do this - they are expected to. Personally I'd have been happier with just the important 1/2hr but that's me.

The problem there was peoples reaction to the fact that it was happening but that's people.
The problem was more to do with the live coverage from helicopters etc..A freekin tad OTT.

It was as it was. So spilt milk.
For sure, it was as it was, because that was the way that the government designed it.
I'm sure you are aware of the concept of, "it's not sufficient to have access to good quality data, it's also about the judgements and decisions based on that data."

Incorrect anyway as most hospitals can test for all sorts of things. It's all pretty simple really, The country didn't have the testing capacity that would be needed to test as they do now and that has taken time to build up as has the supply of the stuff that is needed.
The initial system was a centralised setup by a private contractor, when the existing systems already had the capacity to conduct the tests locally, as you recognise. That caused the backlogs, the scarcity of tests and holdups, etc, leading to the tests being restricted to only symptomatic patients. Which was contrary to the known science at the time.
That was a judgement made by a Tory government. Would a Labour government have made the same decision, when the capacity already existed locally throughout the NHS, and beyond, e.g. Universities, private clinics, etc.

How big is the problem?
The UK’s community testing system for covid-19 seems to be under immense strain. This is the “pillar 2” testing: the commercial, centralised system set up by Deloitte
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3678

How big is the problem?
The UK’s community testing system for covid-19 seems to be under immense strain. This is the “pillar 2” testing: the commercial, centralised system set up by Deloitte

Yes to such an extent that Boris said don't go unless you have definite symptoms, stay away. That due to the high ratio of negatives at the time but there are 2 reasons for doing it. Find people who should isolate and also get an idea what is going on in the general population. There are also a number of testing facilities not one.

If you want to be critical take a look at the UK's epidemic come pandemic plan. It essentially says that it will get here and spread what ever they do. On that basis preparations could have been started earlier. This did with one, ordered loads of antivirals but it fizzled out of it's own accord. The problem with covid is that it can spread until it infects a significant number of people in need of treatment but the fact that there is usually an incubation period means things will spread and saying it will get here isn't as mad as it seems. Things will carry on as normal for some period of time. So in some ways the plan is correct. Could it be better - probably.

Then they know what other countries have done and abandoned. Testing arrivals for instance. All seem to have tried it and then stiffened things up. Our next move may be enforcing it. They will have their reasons just like the others had.

Breaking news seconds ago - infection levels may still be increasing post lockdown. Not are but may be.

Yes to such an extent that Boris said don't go unless you have definite symptoms, stay away.
Precisely!
It was known and reported, on the outbreak in Vo, Italy, in June 2020, that the majority of the virus was spread by the asymptomatic carriers.
The symptomatic carriers would self-isolate. But the asymptomatic carriers would continue to circulate in society, thereby spreading the virus.
That is the scientific argument for supporting strict lockdown.
Whereas in UK, at one time, and for a prolonged period, only symptomatic sufferers were allowed to be tested. Asymptomatic people were precluded from testing, in clear and direct opposition to the known science.
NHS provide data. There is always plenty more data and information available.
It's the decisions based on that data and information that differentiates between the sensible and the ridiculous.

The tests were rationed because the system setup by government was insufficient.

Actually I think it was a bit obvious due to the way and rate it spread across the country before July.

There are other indications as well. The total infections broken down into age groups is pyramid like starting at 20 to 29 but also a far chuck in 10 to 19's below. Females being generally higher than males. Near 270,000 females at 20 to 29 against maybe 100,000 at 60-69 and lower older. This is from week 27. Last week it was more or less the same but 20-29 not that much different to 30 to 39. Same with the 2 levels above that. Wonder if this due to what gov allow people to do, the age groups that choose to do it, not doing what they should or maybe they can't work at home to the same extent. The fact that it was spreading in younger people and spreading upwards was reported some time ago - ;) the beeb started showing shots of 4 young women sitting around a small table gassing and drinking coffee. Also shopping areas where there were sufficient people to prevent easy distancing. Narrow pavements can figure as well etc.

Then masks. Initially no because people will infect themselves from them. Later on in buildings it will help the infected to not infect others and lessen touch points. Does distancing work that well? I wonder and should people always wear a mask when out. As some other countries did. One in particular. They relaxed that to a can if you like to must in building when the problem was under control.

Sponsored Links
Back