You! yes I am talking to you, are you responsible for this dreadful crime?

Sponsored Links
Very nice. A bit quieter than in June 1942.

Sponsored Links
Not guilty, I recycle fastidiously.

As do I. The only problem in SMBC's area is that they have this ridiculous rule.
They only accept plastic bottles in the recycling bin.

As most people who recycle know, there are many different types of plastic used to make bottles:

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET, PETE or polyester)
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Polycarbonate (PC)
Polypropylene (PP)
Polystyrene (PS)
Bioplastic
Fluorine Treated (HDPE)
Post Consumer Resin (PCR)
K-Resin (SBC)

So why do SMBC accept "bottles" as if it were a plastic type? It is madness to accept, for example, PS bottles but not PS yoghurt cartons. Other councils accept all plastics, why not them?

Our black bins are dominated by plastic trays, cartons, etcetera that are not "the right shape".

C'mon SMBC, pull your ecosocks up!

Last edited:
utterly disgusting that so many people around the world discard litter anywhere.As you can see from the general tone of comments on here..many people do not care at all they would rather have an attempt being funny.

Well said Durham. The resident knuckle draggers will twist any post to make some puerile comment. The internet brings out the worst in people. Folk who wouldn't say boo to a goose in public become some of the worst trolls and internet pests behind the safety of their anonymity.

No doubt the site comedians will be using 'boo' or 'goose' in their Frankie-Howerdesque 'titter ye not missus' remarks. Oh how we laughed......

Thank you Mike for posting. Very interesting.

Haven't seen the vid, but I'll assume its about the Pacific Gyres of plastic, and the islands that are affected.

Even if we recycle all plastic bottles in the UK, it will make little difference:
About 80% of the debris in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch comes from land-based activities in North America and Asia. Trash from the coast of North America takes about six years to reach the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, while trash from Japan and other Asian countries takes about a year.

The remaining 20% of debris in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch comes from boaters, offshore oil rigs, and large cargo ships that dump or lose debris directly into the water. The majority of this debris—about 705,000 tons—is fishing nets. More unusual items, such as computer monitors and LEGOs, come from dropped shipping containers.
http://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Although one of the main sources of plastics in our seas are from washing machines. We wash clothes that contain plastics (often without realising), and these small freagments end up in our seas.
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/news/was...lastic-particles-into-environment-study-shows

The whole issue of plastic waste is in some ways more difficult to tackle than climate change. With economic growth, comes more plastic. Even if we recycle it, some will fall off ships, or get discarded I ways we don't foresee.

Making plastic more degradable in the environment would be a start, but not the only solution.

Last edited:
Try Ray Kurzweil - unsure of spelling - World without Us.

Plastics will apparently be one of the longest-lived manmade blots on the planet.

I recycle my jokes, as much as other people recycle their nonsense rhetoric.

Our council stopped recycling food waste (potato peelings etc). They must have a good reason, but it galls me to have to bin the stuff, when our composter is full.

utterly disgusting that so many people around the world discard litter anywhere.As you can see from the general tone of comments on here..many people do not care at all they would rather have an attempt being funny.

+1 to that.
Cleared the sides of the main road for about 1/4 of a mile near my home a few years back. About 6 wheelie bin fulls in a short stretch.
As bad as ever again. The council can't cope with the volume that's gets to the wheelie bins never mind the garbage people toss from their car windows.

The people that dump litter from their car windows just don't care. They don't want their own little patch strewn with litter but don't give a toss about someone elses.

I had two guys working with me lately and on route to work they attempted to throw litter from my vehicles window.
Didn't happen obviously. They seemed a bit taken aback.
I then spent the rest of the journey giving several reasons why its just such a crass thing to do.

There should be a tax system put in place where by all people from birth are penalised with a debt that they have to pay off later in life when they start work.
A litter tax debt. A means that would force people to take responsibility for their garbage from a very early age.

Last edited:
On the radio earlier in the week they have found traces of plastics (?) in mussels or some type of shell fish that live in the deepest part of the ocean

Is it the mariam trench ?? 12 miles down in the atlantic ????

IMHO a lot of hypocrisy is spouted off by those campaigning about the enviroment . as they jet around the world pontificating to the masses

that bloke sting for a start on his private jet and his entourage in tow , X amount of houses around the world ?? using more leccy in a single concert then most in here would use in a life time :)

Every one in the combustion chamber forum have done a great deal for saving the planet ;)

Sponsored Links
Back