On "swearing" and the automatic filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bas has been put in the naughty corner for 24 hours.

Or, he's walked down his the high street saying "you're a c**t" and he's now in hospital.

Sponsored Links
BAS - the offending (sic) word can be found in the Oxford English Dictionary (the monster jobby) but not usually in the type we all may have at home, say The Concise Oxford Dictionary (like a school jobby). However, it does appear in Microsoft's Encarta Dictionary ... a software dictionary which I have in MSOffice 2007 (and most schools will also have it on their networks).

You're all missing the point, which isn't surprising if you didn't see all of the background to it.

In another topic on another forum, I, and others, were complaining about the way the Moderators treat us like children, often on the entirely specious grounds that this is a "family forum" and children might read it. Yeah - right - children can't get enough DIY advice...

I'm not advocating a complete free-for-all, with people able to use any words they like, but what I and the others (sorry I keep saying that, but the original topic has been heavily edited, and I don't know who they were) objected to was censoring of words which no reasonable adult would regard as too offensive to be used. We are adults, and sometimes we think it appropriate to use "adult" language.

The word in question, which kicked it all off, was "bulls**t". Maybe I am wrong, but I honestly and sincerely do not believe that to be an unacceptable word used between adults. So the original complaint was that rendering it as "bulls**t" is unnecessary and heavy-handed.

I also wanted to show that it's also completely pointless. My assertion was (and still is) that nobody is going to look at the sequence of characters

b, u, l, l, s, *, *, t

and not read it as "bullshit".

So what on earth is the purpose of semi-obscuring it?

The moderators, of course, would have none of this, and just kept whinging about attempts to bypass the filter.

So to show that my assertion was correct, and that partially obscuring words didn't stop anyone reading it, I called the Mod a c**t. Of course, I might have meant 'clot', or I might have meant that I thought he was Welsh, but...

Anyway - he of course deleted the post, so what I wanted was for him to explain why. It would have been interesting to see him attempt to justify deleting a post containing "c**t" in a way which did not prove that I was right, and that "bulls**t" is always going to obviously be "bullshit".

But that interest wasn't why I asked - I wanted to show that "c**t" got removed because it was (clot and Celt possibilities aside) "perfectly obvious" what it "meant". In which case, on exactly the same basis, it's perfectly obvious what "bulls**t" means, so the rendering achieves nothing.

Didn't get an answer, of course - just the usual disgusting mod behaviour of treating people with utter contempt, and behaving as if they are infallible, beyond questioning, and not bound by any rules of common decency or respect. And then I got banned, in the same way that tin-pot dictators in real life use force to silence those who criticise or even dare to question them.

A show of strength? No - just a demonstration of weakness and insecurity.

And what's been the overall result?

Do they think that the underlying problem has now been satisfactorily resolved? Or quite the opposite?

Do the mods and admin think I'm likely now to have more respect for them? Or quite the opposite?

It is you that is disgusting.
It is you that is childish.
And you are the weak one.

But, carry on, if the forum had sound, you'd be deafened by the derisory laughter.

Sponsored Links
I can see the Mods point of view for that one though BAS...

saying that something is bullshit is not at all the same as making a direct assault at someone personally by calling them a ****..

I still think it's funny that they censor the word bloody, since it's in the Bible and no one takes offence there.. they don't however censor the word blood..

nor the word dick as far as i know which is at least as bad as the C word...

you'll also notice the C word above is totally asterixed out, so you can't see what it would be..

I still don't see the point in using swear words at all.

At the end of the day you have to remember, this site is owned by a private individual. How the individual chooses to police the site is entirely up to him - the policing of the site isn't a democracy in that respect.
If there is a problem with the way the site is run it is up to the site owner to resolve that matter, if he thinks the best way to do that is behind closed doors i.e. via email then that is the way it needs to be done.

I swear all the f*****g time. Apart from when with f*****g customers.

But really, like you say, if the man who bought this domain and maintains the site chooses to prevent people from using certain words, thats really down to him, I couldn't care less. nobody tells me what I can and can't do on my website. If it's really such a problem, *****, you have the power.

BAS, sorry, but I have lost all respect I held for you because of this.

If you have such a problem with the way the forum is run, then why don't you stop visiting?

bas you are a waffling buffoon. if you dont like it go and vent your spleen elsewhere and stop wasting space :rolleyes:

I can see the Mods point of view for that one though BAS...

saying that something is bulls**t is not at all the same as making a direct assault at someone personally by calling them a ****..
You're still missing the point.

I called the moderator a "c, asterisk, asterisk, t". Now - the fact that he reacted as though I'd called him something unpleasant or insulting shows that I'm right about it being pointless to render ""bulls**t"" as "bulls**t" - the asterisks do not mask what the word really was.

Do you really class "bullshit" as a swear word?

At the end of the day you have to remember, this site is owned by a private individual. How the individual chooses to police the site is entirely up to him - the policing of the site isn't a democracy in that respect.
IRL the police in non-democracies often kill people they don't like.

The fact that they are in a non-democracy, and are doing it with the blessing of the person in charge doesn't make it right.

If there is a problem with the way the site is run it is up to the site owner to resolve that matter, if he thinks the best way to do that is behind closed doors i.e. via email then that is the way it needs to be done.
Would that it were possible - he never takes any notice. And email isn't an effective way for several people to share their opinions.

BAS, sorry, but I have lost all respect I held for you because of this.

If you have such a problem with the way the forum is run, then why don't you stop visiting?
That's incredibly pathetic.

Is that your attitude to any form of complaint? Have you ever complained about anything in your life? If you returned faulty goods, and the shop manager told you to stop visiting his store would you consider that to be in the best interests of the store?

Do you think that people who go on protest marches should just emigrate instead? If you wrote to your MP to complain about something and all you got back was "If you have such a problem with the way the country is run, then why don't you just leave", would you be impressed?

BAS.

Have you thought about taking this up with your local MP who can take this further at the Prime Ministers Question Time? :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back