£1. 34 PER MILE ARE THEY KIDDING

kendor said:
jtaunton said:
A satellite based system can only work if you can 'see' the satellite. If you were in a garage or underground car park or tunnel or something then you would not be able to, but would be legitimately off the system.

So in theory you should be able to stick some sort of metal cap over your aerial and you are then off the system. 'Oh yeah - i was in a garage, guv .....'
why the talk of satellite? i thought it was going to be sensors up on gantries in strategic places?
So they'll be stuck onto the "devils sons mobile phone masts" then ?

Sponsored Links
Apologies if I'd got it wrong, but I thought it was based on GPS.

I've worked on some components for an Israeli system for fleet management, based on beacons and then transponders in the vehicles. Whichever way they choose to do it, all of these systems are based upon a vehicle owner wanting its system to be read (like a Dart Tag). Anything with an RF or Microwave element to it is easily blocked, so the only 'foolproof' system is optical recognition of number plates.

And thats a lot of cameras if they want to cover all roads. And crucially, a lot of cameras that 'they' have to pay for, as opposed to black boxes in the cars which I would guess we would have to pay for.

Back to my much earlier post, I reckon its all a big red herring to try and make people accept fuel duty hikes more readily.

Nah, we have pretty well decided to charge for all roads not just a few current in Singapore as an example ...
On the fly pricing too ...
Thankfully my commuting days are over !
;)

Sponsored Links
If you do it by radio signal then everyone will be rushing over to France for foreign registered cars so they are not fitted with transponders and don't pay the tax. But if it was number plates then I am sure they would manage to post the bill to your French address.

Back