200 mph

A few years back a couple of bikers got caught on the M25 in the early hours speeding at 150 ish

They got 6 months
Banned
Lost there job
One lost his house over the caper due to no job

Bit oTT imo

No one got hurt no one died

Commit some violent crime and u get a lesser sentence and consequences

Correct!
Someone stabbing an innocent bystander gets a more lenient sentence.

Sponsored Links
If he had a Saturn 5 he could have hit 17,000 mph...without being a limp dik.

But a saturn 5 is not realistic or obtainable

Were as an ultima. Is :cool:

Quite fancy one tbh

Posdible to. Self build one as well. ;). A good few have.

I have been known to travel at rather high speeds when road conditions are suitable. To be honest I wouldn't regard the speedo reading as accurate. That's from experience but fastest I have ever driven on a road is a touch over 150mph.

Problem these days is that road conditions are no longer suitable. The person driving the car may not be a problem. The main one is others not appreciating the closing speed. That even applies with 100mph or so driving now as there is usually too much traffic on suitable roads. At one time it was possible to ease off when overtaking groups of traffic in case one pulled out.

So these days it's a bit tricky even learning how to drive at these speeds let alone others not being used to it. I haven't driven in Germany for a very long time. When I did the rear view mirror had to be used and if some one behind had their indicator flashing it meant get out of the way.

I'd appreciate some comment on the legal and moral position of driving at over the speed limit, and maybe a statement such as "I was young and don't do that kind of thing now". These would give credibility to some of your other moral pronouncements.

Sponsored Links
If a driver is driving at a safe speed for the conditions taking account of the time and space needed to stop safely, I don't have a problem with exceeding the speed limit. There are 100s and 100s of roads with 20, 30 or 40mph limits which used to have 60 and 70mph limits only a few years ago. The conditions that allowed a driver to choose say 58mph on the roads are largely unchanged. Casualty stats also do not support the claim that "speed kills". It's really not the significant factor that people are led to believe it is.

The legals aspect is Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984, Road Traffic Act 1988 and the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. Out of the 3 the Road traffic act, is interesting as its one of the few acts of law where the accused does not have a right to silence. Looking at the offenders act, we also have a break from the norm where it is the guilty act, that takes priority over the guilty mind. Again in English law it is usual for severity of crime to focus on the guilty intent. e.g.

Gross Negligent Manslaughter vs Attempted Murder - The latter is more severely punished.
Death by careless driver vs danergous driving - the former is more severely punished.

Is that the sort of moral aspect comment you were after?

70mph in any modern car is crawling and drivers get distracted.
Give them a 100mph limit or no limit and they will look at the road rather than their phone.
I invite all the believers in 20mph everywhere to attend any motorway and see for themselves drivers on their phones, newspaper, make up and all other activities.
I drove over the limit in my days, well over the limit and travelled hours on motorways at what today is considered reckless speed.
I crossed Europe in half the time it would take today and i can only say one thing: speed doesn't kill.
Going fast makes the driver pay attention at driving and only driving.
70mph on 6 lanes motorways is plain stupid.

70mph in any modern car is crawling and drivers get distracted.
Give them a 100mph limit or no limit and they will look at the road rather than their phone.
I invite all the believers in 20mph everywhere to attend any motorway and see for themselves drivers on their phones, newspaper, make up and all other activities.
I drove over the limit in my days, well over the limit and travelled hours on motorways at what today is considered reckless speed.
I crossed Europe in half the time it would take today and i can only say one thing: speed doesn't kill.
Going fast makes the driver pay attention at driving and only driving.
70mph on 6 lanes motorways is plain stupid.
Motorway driving, lol. Only a small percentage of death and serious injury occurs on motorways. Do try harder, boyo.

In 2018, of the 1,784 road deaths, the majority (58%) occurred on rural roads.
The number of people killed on built-up 20 mph roads in 2017 increased by 79% on 2016, while the overall number of road crashes on 20mph roads rose by 43% over the same period.
Fatalities on built-up 30 mph roads fell by 1% in Great Britain in 2017 from 2016, yet the number of serious injuries increased by 5%.
The number of people killed on motorways increased by 8% to 107 in 2018.

Makes it quite difficult to justify Speed Limits and blanket 20mph zones as the answer.

i can only say one thing: speed doesn't kill.

by itself speed does not kill. But (excess speed + error) or (excess speed + mechanical failure) = incident

At low speed the driver can react and possibly prevent or reduce the incident.

At excess speed the driver may not be able to react in time to prevent the incident

The severity of the incident depends on the speed.

The number of people killed on built-up 20 mph roads in 2017 increased by 79% on 2016, while the overall number of road crashes on 20mph roads rose by 43% over the same period.
Fatalities on built-up 30 mph roads fell by 1% in Great Britain in 2017 from 2016, yet the number of serious injuries increased by 5%.
The number of people killed on motorways increased by 8% to 107 in 2018.

Makes it quite difficult to justify Speed Limits and blanket 20mph zones as the answer.
And what was the percentage increase in roads that were converted from 30 to 20mph in that time? And was the speed limits on these roads reduced because they were accident black spots?

a more balanced summary of the success of 20mph zones can be found here
https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/20-mph-zone-factsheet.pdf

thats not actually true. There are other factors.
- Its actually impact speed that mostly determine the severity of the accident. While there is a link between impact speed and free travelling speed there are so many other factors, which influence the risk to much greater degree

If you remove all the drunks, drugged, criminals on the run etc. from "speeding" accidents, you aren't left with many that aren't a result of someone not paying attention. Here the speed we drive and the perception of speed of other vehicle massively impacts how we behave.

Drive too slowly and concentration plummets, assume the road is "safe" because it got bumps and a 20 limit and you can see why people crash.

Edit @Munroist - You have to read between the lines in the RoSPA fact sheet. There is a lot of A = B, and X = Y therefore if A = B, X must = Y.

If a road has had an increase in accidents and qualifies for speed limit reduction, you'd expect regression to the mean for subsequent years without the reduction. What we are seeing now that so many roads have been converted - its not as simple as reducing speed limits.

Last edited:
How many of the 1,784 deaths were people inside the vehicle that caused the accident and how many were pedestrian or cyclists outside the vehicle.

At 20 MPH the chances of dying from the impact when inside the vehicle are very small.

It may be that pedestrians and cyclists assume that the road with a 20 MPH limit is safer for them than a road with a 30 MPH limit and hence are less careful.

No idea - my point is that reducing speed limits do not make much difference to road safety. Can you imagine the benefit we'd get had all that money been spent on improving overtaking skills (not really included for learners), understanding human concentration blindspots (e.g. T junctions), improving how we observe and react to hazards (hazard priority, hazard scanning, driving plans etc.), encouraging drivers and cyclists to take further training.

Defensive driving course back in the 1960's ,

First lesson " That other road user could be an idiot, treat him as such until he proves otherwise "

Sponsored Links
Back