1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

200 mph

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by transam, 23 May 2020.

1. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know they do. I was just pointing out the absurdity of transam's argument...

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ajohn

ajohn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I take that aspect very seriously on country roads, I'd guess people creep up in speed on the London road to around 40 some higher. I might be a 40mph'r on a road like that.

I take in bends without thinking about it but IMHO on things mentioned I feel the car being driven comes into it as well. Big fat tyres aren't everything and they can differ a lot.

Safety cameras aren't used so much in recent years as they have caused a lot of complaints and ill feeling. They and others are more used as a reminder now also more use of unmarked cars. I explained to an MP why accident figures dropped around the time they were used rather heavily. He was interested. Couple of changes in cars. I've good reason to believe both changes have had a definite effect. High rear brake lights and dropping a stupid idea used in ABS for a while and other changes on that. Some of the ABS units used as prices dropped were crap as well. Much better these days.

4. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If anything speed limits should be reduced to save fuel and reduce pollution, the higher the speed the lower the mpg.

I'm also thinking the argument of; I need to drive fast or I will get bored and have a petulant crash is possibly is possibly as ridiculous as needing to drive to barnard castle as an eyesight test.

• Like Like x 2
  5. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The moron wrote that obviously does not understand that a burst of excitement and adrenaline will inevitably be followed by an even more mind numbing, (energy sapped) low. There are few motorways where sustained law breaking speed is possible.

And considering that a lot of motorway journeys are for long durations, it's probably the stupidest reason for going fast you could possibly fathom.

6. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    per vehicle mile travelled HGVs are the least likely vehicle to be involved in an accident, and their speed is limited to 56mph.
    the vehicle most likely are motorbikes, and they can't possibly be getting bored with low speeds!

7. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Biggest bollocx on this thread.
    Driving at 30mph uses a lot more fuel than 50mph for example.
    If you ever get in a car, look out for mpg instant reading and ask the driver to go at 20, then 30, then 40 and then 50mph.
    You'll be surprised.
    Also, as Audi has been mentioned, some of their big engines, especially the V6 use less fuel at 70mph than 50mph.

8. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    People still manage to be 3foot behind the next vehicle at 70mph...gross stupidity...If you are so bored and distracted at 70mph you should not be driving.

9. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes...by you...speed limits are for safety not fuel economy

10. Sponsored Links
  11. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Agreed .....Utter brain dead thinking.

12. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Every body does ...Riding bicycle or motorbike becomes unconscious thought to some extent..otherwise you could not do it

13. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why...manycars do not pay it...And as said not been ring fenced tax since 30s

14. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Munroist said that the lower the speed, the better the fuel economy and pollution.
    I was merely pointing out that this is bollocx.

• Like Like x 1
  15. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How many years have you been in lockdown???
    Nowadays as soon as road tax expires you get a penalty and if your car is parked at the registered address, a clamp with £1000 release fee.
    To avoid road tax you would need to drive someone else's car but they'll be fined, or a sorn car which will alert the anpr of the first police car you cross.

16. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMO they should be compulsary for 12 months before you can have a motor vehicle...Prove you have done loads of cycling in traffic before been given a car

17. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jonnyboy...Are you in another world...many cars are zero rated for car tax...And as said...not a ring fenced tax anymore anyway....

Sponsored Links