3 amp fuse in FCU for boiler

since I personally don't recall having seen any CH in recent times that was not supplied via by a BS1363 socket/plug or FCU (hence a BS1362 fuse).

Kind Regards, John

I have. In mainland Europe, supplied via a Schuko plug and socket on a 16a MCB.

Sponsored Links
I have. In mainland Europe, supplied via a Schuko plug and socket on a 16a MCB.
Even you should understand that I was obviously talking about the UK. You wont find many "BS1363 sockets/plugs or FCUs" in mainland Europe, but (my point) nor will you usually find a boiler or CH system in the UK which is not supplied through such an accessory.

Kind Regards, John

Even you should understand that I was obviously talking about the UK. You wont find many "BS1363 sockets/plugs or FCUs" in mainland Europe, but (my point) nor will you usually find a boiler or CH system in the UK which is not supplied through such an accessory.

Kind Regards, John

True, but surely the reason is they are invariably spurred off a ring final protected at 32 amps.

Sponsored Links
True, but surely the reason is they are invariably spurred off a ring final protected at 32 amps.
Exactly. As was said a long time ago in this thread, the only exception (to supplying it via BS1363 accessory with BS1362 fuse) would be to supply it off a lighting circuit, and goodness know what you'd have to say about that :)

Kind Regards, John

Exactly. As was said a long time ago in this thread, the only exception (to supplying it via BS1363 accessory with BS1362 fuse) would be to supply it off a lighting circuit, and goodness know what you'd have to say about that :)

Kind Regards, John

The original argument was why a 3 amp fuse rather than any other size.

So if after removing a radiator the non isolated electronic TRV turns on and allows rusty water to escape that's OK?
An old fashioned wax capsule TRV will do that as well unless it's one of the few models with a real "absolutely off" setting. That's why if you remove a radiator (which is NOT the same thing as working on something that needs the electricity supply isolated) then you should be either fitting blanking plugs to the open valve ports; OR fitting a "decorators cap" in place of the TRV head to physically hold the valve shut.
Really ? Ours is on a 16A radial (with an FCU on the end with 3A fuse fitted), quite a lot are similarly done. It'll be getting a socket fitted at some point to make it easy to unplug the boiler and supply it from an battery & inverter if/when the power is off for any reason.

Really ? Ours is on a 16A radial (with an FCU on the end with 3A fuse fitted), quite a lot are similarly done.
Yes, I'm sure that a good few are like that, but I think you will agree that most boilers are probably fed 9via an FCU) from a 32A circuit. This is really what this discussion is about ... supplying a boiler through a 13A fuse (in plug or FCU) is the nearest easily-implemented UK equivalent of the situation in mainland Europe in which the boiler would usually/often be connected to a 16A circuit with no additional fusing - hence the discussion as to why (only in the UK) it should be a 3A fuse. In your case, of course, you have the same situation as in europe, so the question would be whether you really need any fusing (in addition to the 16A OPD) at all.
It'll be getting a socket fitted at some point to make it easy to unplug the boiler and supply it from an battery & inverter if/when the power is off for any reason.
Yes, I do similarly. My entire CH system (not just the boiler) is fed via a plug (with a 3A fuse), which I can shift into my genny supply if/when needed.

Kind Regards, John

This is really what this discussion is about ... supplying a boiler through a 13A fuse (in plug or FCU) is the nearest easily-implemented UK equivalent of the situation in mainland Europe in which the boiler would usually/often be connected to a 16A circuit with no additional fusing - hence the discussion as to why (only in the UK) it should be a 3A fuse.
It might (we still don't know) be a gas regulation.

Yes, you keep saying that but surely the principle can be discussed.

Then, of course, if it is verified that it is a gas regulation, we can discuss whether that is really necessary - whilst not advising that it be contravened.

Yes, you keep saying that but surely the principle can be discussed.
To what end?

What new discussion is there to have?

It's either required by a regulation, or it is not.

If not, and it is a manufacturer's request, then the issue becomes does it really count as good workmanship and skill to wilfully refuse to accede to that request purely because you don't think they should have the right to make it and/or because you don't think it's necessary.

We're not refusing to acede - merely trying to extend human knowledge.

Maybe when we have found out for certain that it is not necessary, we could lobby parliament to stop conglomorates demanding unnecessary things from and causing unnecessary expense to the population - if they are indeed doing that.

I am surprised you don't know and seem to be so against discussion for its own sake [Edit] - in this case.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back