80mph limit on motorways.

If 49% of drivers speed on the motorway then it's time to put speed cameras on the bridges.

keep up joe the M25 has had speed cameras for 15 years at least (got a ticket for 71 when restricted to 60 at heathrow just after i passed my test!! :oops: )and several others also have them M2 and M42 are 2 that i can think of, they aren't always on only when traffic volume neccessitates.

the average speed on the M3 and M27 which i use regularly is around 80 during the early morning and evening but during the day that drops to 65-70 because of the sheer volume of traffic!

as for the stupid 60mph rule for vans that should be abolished, has anyone ever been done for 65 - 70 on a motorway as a result? I certainly haven't! 98.3 mph on the other hand :oops: 4 points £325!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
as for the stupid 60mph rule for vans that should be abolished, has anyone ever been done for 65 - 70 on a motorway as a result?

Yes our 12 seat mini buses are all limited to 62mph and at least some of our drivers get frustrated.

I would have thought that anybody travelling at a higher speed would get to the traffic hold up more quickly. On the whole traffic travelling faster only adds to a congestion.
If the 80mph limit was brought in it should be the case that it is compulsory to travel at that speed when in the outside lane. If you cannot or don't want do that speed then don't use the lane.

as for the stupid 60mph rule for vans that should be abolished, has anyone ever been done for 65 - 70 on a motorway as a result?

Yep, I had a ticket some years ago for traveling at 58mph on a single carriageway road where the national speed limit applied whilst driving my VW Transporter. The rules are Single carriage way 50mph Dual Carriageway 60mph and Motorway 70mph for light goods exceeding 2000kg

If I drove a VW Caravelle then the limits would be 60, 70, 70 but I would pay more road tax.... Mechanically both vehicles are the same

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that anybody travelling at a higher speed would get to the traffic hold up more quickly. On the whole traffic travelling faster only adds to a congestion.
If the 80mph limit was brought in it should be the case that it is compulsory to travel at that speed when in the outside lane. If you cannot or don't want do that speed then don't use the lane.

I use the M42 quite a lot and on there variable lower limits were introduced to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, no more of the stop start sort of driving. It may seem at first to be a wrong assumption that trundling along at 50 is actually improving the journey but I've seen less congestion with these lower limits than there ever was before.
Compulsory speeds in the outside lane? Good idea in theory but almost unworkable in practice unless all drivers think about the whole situation rather than themselves.

It's not going to happen anyway because the government can't justify the extra loss of life or the extra 20% fuel wasted. Not only that, when people realise how much extra it would cost to travel at 80 rather than 70 they'll sit in the middle lane on 70.

Why not make lane 1 compulsory 58mph.

Lane 2 compulsory 70,

and lane 3 can be left for the idiots that will always do what they want anyway.

I agree with the proposal to increase the limit to 80mph.
I don't necessarily agree with the reasons for or against.
As per Ladylola, I'll drive at a speed that reflects the conditions. For instance I recently drove to France with a digger on the trailer. I intentionally limited my speed to about 50mph 'cos that was what I was comfortable with, especially on the over-run down hills. Normally, in my Disco, even without the trailer, I rarely go above 70mph 'cos it's not economically worth it do so.

However, in my Supra 3 litre Turbo I'll happily go over the ton, with lots of awareness to the safety and speed limit issues.

Most of the time, around these parts, I find it's not even worth going via the motorways, 'cos it's more enjoyable and just as quick to go via normal roads, in either vehicle.

There are many misconceptions being banded about. Why was the speed limit introduced in the first place on the motorway? To save fuel.

It was nothing to do with saving fuel. It was due to severe weather and foggy conditions, its.
Yeah those London Pea Souper fogs were everywhere back in the 60`s :mrgreen:

The big danger is that the middle lane will become the 80 lane and the outside the 90 lane - yet the inside lane full of trucks doing 58mph? Too much speed differential - it'll be carnage. Not only that - the 10mph difference raises fuel use by 20%. The limit should come down to 60mph. One day it will.

sod off you ****ing anorak and stick to the A roads you dimwit ****!

I'm not out of touch at all. Why do you think that I am? Anglesey is on a different planet anyway so who are you to judge?

A van. Car derived or not can do 70 on a motorway its only on single carriage ways and dual carriage ways that a non car derived van drops the limit by 10 mph .

Speed limits arguments are un winnable 1 person going at 100mph may be far safer than someone going at 50mph and vice versa.
This afternoon watched an old girl of around 80 toddle of in to her car nearly bent double and unable to twist her neck more than an inch would i rather have her near me on a motorway at 50mph or the rep doing thousands of miles a year at a ton plus.
I pick the rep.

I'm not out of touch at all. Why do you think that I am? Anglesey is on a different planet anyway so who are you to judge?

Observational qualities are an excellent asset, they allow some of us to make considered and informed opinions my friend.

namsag wrote
i rather have her near me on a motorway at 50mph or the rep doing thousands of miles a year at a ton plus.
I pick the rep.

Chances are you could have both and it will be the idiot doing over the ton that will be the cause of the accident.

Sponsored Links
Back