Aircraft boarding etiquette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently we boarded a Virgin flight, when we reached our seats two people were sat in them, they were very polite and realised their error and quickly vacated, I was placing my cabin bag in the overhead when a woman with a loud voice complained I was holding them up, I asked her what I was supposed to do, and she muttered something under her breath, I asked her to repeat, by this time we were seated and she and her hubby moved on muttering

Sponsored Links
It tends to be a pressure environment. Some deal with it better than others.
You could start a list of what bothers you on an aeroplane. The thread will probably go on for quite a few pages.

If you’re blocking the isle and a queue is forming while your getting your hand luggage stowed then slide in and do it after people have boarded. There is plenty of time for you to put your bag up or get your book out.

it amazes me how many people will block the whole plane from boarding while they decide if they need a cardie or a neck pillow. The same applies when people get off. They literally wait until the person in front clears and then start getting their bag down, having stood still for the last 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When getting off, there is absolutely no benefit in leaping to your feet and standing in the aisle before the door is opened. You would do better to sit in quiet contemplation or finish your crossword.

Even if you are first off, you will have to wait again until your other luggage is thrown onto the carousel.

Bellends who bring a transatlantic trunk as cabin luggage.
When was the last time your flew. There are strict limits on size and weight of cabin baggage.
In fact a lot of airlines apply a strict limit of 25 Kg per baggage bag, even if 30 or 40Kg are allowed.

If you’re blocking the isle and a queue is forming while your getting your hand luggage stowed then slide in and do it after people have boarded. There is plenty of time for you to put your bag up or get your book out.

it amazes me how many people will block the whole plane from boarding while they decide if they need a cardie or a neck pillow. The same applies when people get off. They literally wait until the person in front clears and then start getting their bag down, having stood still for the last 10 minutes.
Someone was in our seat, so not an option, my bag was in the locker pdq

Ok, I may have made a tiny exaggeration... But they get on with a 'legal' cabin bag. And a skiing helmet. And (ladies) a handbag half the size of a cabin bag. EJ were happy to sting me for an oversize cabin bag, but ignore those with three bits of luggage.

Ok, I may have made a tiny exaggeration... But they get on with a 'legal' cabin bag. And a skiing helmet. And (ladies) a handbag half the size of a cabin bag. EJ were happy to sting me for an oversize cabin bag, but ignore those with three bits of luggage.
Fill you pockets next time. ;)

Always liked to be last one to board a plane. Took a carrier bag of handy stuff with me one time and gave it over to be searched and after a brief rummage the woman let off a shrill scream, startling the nearby security guard who immediately went for his sidearm. I froze. He looked at me, hand on gun as the woman burst out laughing and held up a big rubber rat i was taking home for the dog to chew on.
I just grinned at him and styled it out but my knees were still knocking when i got on board.

As carry-on baggage?
They must have bought a separate seat ticket for it.
There are always people who take the pee 3 bags when 2 are allowed. Wheelie bags as under seat luggage.

The bucket shops give out different ribbons and tags so that they can sting you if you haven’t paid the right premium.

Sponsored Links
Back