Another driving moan thread ...

Sponsored Links
I think the 20 mph limit is to keep people safe and reduce any injuries if there is a collision.
If you think it's OK to go faster than 20 mph you must be stupid or just arrogant
Of course I don't actually overtake, however since not required to have a speedometer not sure what the law would do, think called peddling furiously, but since free wheeling not sure how that would work.

I can see where past schools etc there should be a 20 MPH speed limit, but what has happened in North Wales is simply daft, no reason for the 20 MPH limit, and car drivers have a problem as the speedo does not need to be accurate at that speed, and the cruse controls etc, will not work at 20 MPH and to travel on near empty roads for miles in a straight line at 20 MPH is very boring and one ends up not paying attention.

Also there are reports the experiment has been abandoned, so some obey the limit other don't so it is a bit of a free for all.

The rules were to have less than 30 MPH on a permanent basic you need traffic carming, and Flintshire not wanting to erect the carming measures erected signs with 20 in red and circle in black as advisory signs, over the years these have faded, and since they are unofficial there is no end of speed limit, so no one has a clue which you need to obey.

Anyone with any sense would hold back and give way to the two trying to get out - Nah, in she tries to go, but not far enough to get off the main road, whilst at the same time blocking the two trying to get out.
Some drivers are don't have any ability to look ahea

d.

It s

sounds to me like the other driver was unable to drive properly maybe from lack of experience or maybe intoxicated.
As an experienced driver the law would expect you to make allowances for these scenarios
Do you intentionally post garbage just to get a reaction? If yes I suppose you've in part succeeded, demonstrated by me typing this reply.

Do you actually drive? If yes then god help us if you're typical of today's drivers. Trust me when I say, this guy wasn't an inexperienced driver. Stupid maybe, but not inexperienced. And yes, he may well have been under the influence of something.

You think experienced drivers are to make allowances for such scenarios? In what way? Yes of course, any sensible experienced driver will always take evasive action when required, but 'make allowances' for others incompetence? Nah. If they're incompetent, they shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Of course I don't actually overtake, however since not required to have a speedometer not sure what the law would do, think called peddling furiously, but since free wheeling not sure how that would work.
Nothing to do with not having a speedometer - speed laws only apply to 'motorised' vehicles in the UK. push bikes are not motorised.

I believe the 17th century law is 'rides or drives furiously' All to do with riding horses or driving cattle. later applied to bicyles.

From the way I have seen cyclists behaving on shared paths, this law should be applied and enforced far more than it is. Some cyclists behave appallingly on shared paths.

Only every been stopped once on a bike by the police, he thought we were drunk, but we convinced him it was normal for a tandem to wobble, and anyway who would he breathalyse? We could both steer, we both had brakes, and we both had peddles. Who is in charge?

To be fair we were going for it, and one can really move on a tandem, so were likely breaking the 30 speed limit.

Do you intentionally post garbage just to get a reaction? If yes I suppose you've in part succeeded, demonstrated by me typing this reply.

Do you actually drive? If yes then god help us if you're typical of today's drivers. Trust me when I say, this guy wasn't an inexperienced driver. Stupid maybe, but not inexperienced. And yes, he may well have been under the influence of something.

You think experienced drivers are to make allowances for such scenarios? In what way? Yes of course, any sensible experienced driver will always take evasive action when required, but 'make allowances' for others incompetence? Nah. If they're incompetent, they shouldn't be driving in the first place.
You are part of the problem by the sound of it you are worse than an inexperienced driver.
Have you ever heard of the phrase 'driving appropriately for the road conditions'?
And by the way anyone older than 5 who says nah instead of no needs to have a word with him/her self
You are not as good a driver as you think you are and there is no way for you to know if any other driver is competent enough because you clearly need to concentrate on your own lack of competency... Number 1 lesson for you is called ANTICIPATION

Nothing to do with not having a speedometer - speed laws only apply to 'motorised' vehicles in the UK. push bikes are not motorised.

I believe the 17th century law is 'rides or drives furiously' All to do with riding horses or driving cattle. later applied to bicyles.

From the way I have seen cyclists behaving on shared paths, this law should be applied and enforced far more than it is. Some cyclists behave appallingly on shared paths.
An interesting read

An interesting read
In Germany all these laws are attached to "Transport" rather than "Motorised Vehicles" which means cyclists can get points on their driving licences for breaking the rules of the road such as speeding and jumping red lights, can even be breathalysed whilst cycling and loose your drivers licence. It would be a good idea to adopt this idea in the UK, some cyclist (like some motorised) just seem to do what they like. Of course without enforcement it would be a waste of time.

I certainly would love to see cyclists heavily fined for speeding and dangerous riding on shared paths.

Is that riding a bike and shaking a fist 1664105476800.png?

You are part of the problem by the sound of it you are worse than an inexperienced driver.
Have you ever heard of the phrase 'driving appropriately for the road conditions'?
And by the way anyone older than 5 who says nah instead of no needs to have a word with him/her self
You are not as good a driver as you think you are and there is no way for you to know if any other driver is competent enough because you clearly need to concentrate on your own lack of competency... Number 1 lesson for you is called ANTICIPATION
Ha Ha HAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When I was mid 20's , there was the same idiot cylist on my commute, very often. He'd ride at 25 - 35mph darting in and out of the traffic as it slowed and accelerated. You'd be braking and he'd cut in front of you so you had to emergency brake, and all that. Always getting beeped, annoying everyone.
One day I overtook him at about 35, just a bit more than him, and then braked, like you would if a dog ran out, so there was nowhere for him to pull out to pass a parked box van. I heard a shout and a crash, but he didn't hit me and had vanished from my rear view. Never saw him again.

If you píss people off enough, that's what someone will do, and it serves you right. So when you're on your maximum-vulnerability vehicle, whether it's your right or not, pushing it will get YOU hurt. So don't be a knob.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back