Any cyclists in here?

I

imamartian

If so, a couple of things.... cycle to work scheme? anyone got any thoughts? or used it? is it worth doing?

And secondly, accessories, lights, mudguards, winter clothing etc etc ... any suggestions of what or where to buy?

Sponsored Links
Wiggle.co.uk is quite good but a bit pricey. Tenns via amazon has yet to fail me and is reasonably priced. Stuff from Decathlon and/or Gooutdoors shops is reasonable too.

Places like Evans and indeed local independants tends to be pricey per se, although if you find something online then Evans will pricematch providing they stock it.

I do a bit.
There is not really a one stop on-line store. I generally buy from local trusted retailers.
Some do better prices same for same than others on certain items and vice versa.
Essentials for the winter months are:
Helmet (always)
Wind/water proof gloves
Wind/water proof jacket
Reflector strips, if not on jacket.
Cycling Glasses, keeps the rain, cold and insects out.
Front and rear lights, spare batteries too.
Puncture kit
Pump
Water bottle
Front/Rear mud guards if you want to stay clean.
Bell
Lock and chain, if you are parking up.
oh and a bike would be handy too!

If you register here might help you find what you want locally
http://www.thecyclepeople.com/bikeshops
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/

List as prentice suggests, especially glasses and helmet. I'd also recommend bib trousers - these really do help make things comfortable. I also carry a repair kit (with spanners) and spare tyres, since it can be a real ball-ache trying to find the puncture to repair whilst on the move - you can fix this at leisure when you get home.

I've also ordered a balaclava which I fancy trying out, especially in cooler weather. Hopefully, since I do some off-road cycling and don't have to wrorry about hearing traffic, I'm hoping that this will help remove wind noise when I listen to my ipod (in one ear only, so one ear will still be able to hear) - I've got a few audiobooks and podcasts I fancy listening to, as well as music.

Sustrans, cyclestreets and google earth are useful for planning routes. Also, remember that mainline trains normally allow you to take your bike on them - useful if you fancy a distance cycle out, but not the return run too :)

Sponsored Links
The roads are way too dangerous in the peak hours. I know personally 2 people killed doing that.

The roads are way too dangerous in the peak hours. I know personally 2 people killed doing that.
True, but luckily there are an increasing number of cycle paths which are not on the road surface, especially in towns and cities.

As long as cyclists stay on the road and respect traffic lights I have no issue with them.

Woah..loads of info there... thanks gents...

I've recently started cycling the kids to school, and then me on to work.. have done so for the past 6 weeks.. absolutely loving it, including the fuel savings. I have a decent GT mountain bike on which i have put some 20 yr old slick tyres.

Best bit is trying to 'herd' three kids all of different abilities on mostly trails and cycle paths on the 2.5mile ride... worst bit is two flats in the 6 weeks. A 45min walk with shin splints is not nice :evil: need to take a spare innnertube and pump to work.

My aim is to get into proper road cycling and get a road bike on the cycle to work scheme....

As long as cyclists stay on the road and respect traffic lights I have no issue with them.

stay on the road.. you mean as long as they don't take off and fly? have you been watching e.t. again? :eek: :mrgreen:

But that is rare - cyclists is common.

And don;t underinflate your tyres. Check the wall of your tyres - I set mine to about 50 PSI.

Sponsored Links
Back