Any musicians on here

It's not a coil tap - it's a coil cut (shorted to ground). I've been playing the things for near on fifty fookin years.

Sponsored Links
It's not a coil tap - it's a coil cut (shorted to ground). I've been playing the things for near on fifty fookin years.

You'd best break the news to Gibson and Fender.

and you have never heard of a coil tap?
and what does being shorted to ground have to do with it?
Its called a tap because you "tap" into the wiring, but tell you what, argue that you can call it cutting into the wiring too if need be, call it what you like
I'll stick with "coil tap" ta, as every guitarist I know, knows what I mean.

Sponsored Links
There is such a thing as a coil tap but it's not what you think is a coil tap. A coil tap is tapped during winding. A coil cut shorts out one coil. Gedditt yet?

Well what do you think is a coil tap? A coil tap is normally used on a single coil pick-up. Is that what you mean by coil tap?

Buckers often have a tap between coils to allow use of one coil only.
Sorry I assumed you knew that.

How many times do I have to tell you that is a 'coil cut'. One of the coils is shorted to ground leaving just one single coil. Gedditt yet?

There is such a thing as a coil tap but it's not what you think is a coil tap. A coil tap is tapped during winding. A coil cut shorts out one coil. Gedditt yet?

be as padandtic as you like, as I say I'll stick with calling it a coil tap as that is what just about everyone calls it
same as I'll keep on calling the vacuum cleaner the "hoover"

http://www.gibson.com/Service/PUPwiring.pdf

Gedditt yet?

Tell you what I'll google the two phrases for you and see which yeilds more results
coil tap......mmm 8 million

or

coil cut......1 million even google presumes you may mean "coil tap"

:rolleyes:

Just because it's a misnomer doesn't make it right. A coil tap is a tap taken on a single coil during winding to give a thinner cleaner tone.

The connection between the coils is a tapping. Tap for short. Some are shorted to earth some are left oc, likewise with some single coils. If referring to shorting to earth as a "cut" suits your argument, cool.
However as the worlds greatest manufacturers use the term "tap" on dual coils I'll assume its ok for me. Thanks for your concern though.

It's changing though. From now on you'll change too. You won't feel comfortable saying coil tap when you really know it's a coil cut.
BTW if you leave it open circuit - how will the circuit be made? How will the pick-up operate if it is open circuit?

It's changing though. From now on you'll change too. You won't feel comfortable saying coil tap when you really know it's a coil cut.
BTW if you leave it open circuit - how will the circuit be made? How will the pick-up operate if it is open circuit?

You're kidding right? One coil in circuit, tapping inbetween coils other coil open. Google it mate, it's dead simple. Oh- "coil tap, coil tap" that feels comfortable.

well, love to stay and argue about guitars but off out now to actually play some! catchas later :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back