Atmos - take heat from land rover and stores in home

J

JonasX

Atmos have developed this device that stores wasted exhaust heat in a car and then it can be extracted into a thermal store in your house for heating or DHW.

I assume they using crystals to store the heat onboard the car. The cars heat is pumped into a thermal store. This would be great for those in rural areas. One hours drive can do all your DHW and probably more.

It would be great if these units were a retrofit to most cars.

tessa2.jpg

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/land-rover-tessa-uses-exhaust-heat-to-warm-your-home-50005474/

Sponsored Links
I think the take up of thermal stores in rural areas and with those who have garages or side drives will be dramatic...and the sale of Land Rovers.

If designed right, any remaining heat in the car's heat store can be used to give the car a rapid heatup to save fuel as well.

More proof, if it was needed, that Dr Drivel amuses himself by constantly Googling 'thermal store'.

If only all our searches were as harmless...........

More proof, if it was needed, that Dr Drivel amuses himself by constantly Googling 'thermal store'.

If only all our searches were as harmless...........

So you will not be buying Land Rover then.
Who is this Doctor Drivel you keep on about?

Sponsored Links
Good concept, but I can't find on the link what size and weight the heat store under the car would need to be. I'm not sure if we have found anything that small and lightweight that could do that.

Good concept, but I can't find on the link what size and weight the heat store under the car would need to be. I'm not sure if we have found anything that small and lightweight that could do that.

It seem all that will be revealed on the big launch. I suspect it will be crystals of some sort. I think SAAB about 20 years ago had a canister that stored engine heat and gave it off to defrost windows and heat the car or the engine - handy in Sweden. It is an option with some Prius cars I believe.

As long as enough heat is left to transfer along to the diesel particulate filter, as that is now causing problems in itself.

As long as enough heat is left to transfer along to the diesel particulate filter, as that is now causing problems in itself.

It has been developed along with Land Rover, and will be a factory fitted option. I suspect they have taken all this into account.

Now I think it was on the Navitron forum that this idea was being discussed recently. On of the contributors posted a link to (IIRC his daughter's) university submission on the subject. Summary - not worth it.

Unless they have come up with some miracle substance that has a tremendous heat storage capacity AND is light AND is very cheap AND is compact, then the amount of heat you can actually store is going to be quite low and the payback ... well never !
And don't forget that it'll add weight to the vehicle, so increasing fuel consumption.

So, by the time you have bought a Land Rover, then put the fuel in it and done an hours driving, then paid for the conversion required to the domestic heating system in order to incorporate the Land Rover heat source, you'll need it to heat the entire house, pay the mortgage, buy the groceries and pay the council tax etc because you'll have spent all your money on the car and fuel..... :cry:

So, by the time you have bought a Land Rover, then put the fuel in it and done an hours driving, then paid for the conversion required to the domestic heating system in order to incorporate the Land Rover heat source, you'll need it to heat the entire house, pay the mortgage, buy the groceries and pay the council tax etc because you'll have spent all your money on the car and fuel..... :cry:

Land Rover have worked with Atmos, who will no doubt provide the domestic thermal stores. This will appeal to those off the gas mains, hence why it is on a Land Rover. At the end of the day if you can drag all the heat from heat accumulator in the car, and maybe the engines, at the end of the night, it must add up. It looks like they are talking of a cylinder full of heat. We shall see, do not go on a Navitron forum.

Would that be the same Atmos who are selling boilers of an obsolete Intergas design?

So by that logic, anyone who doesn't have the benefit of mains gas, and wants to save on their heating bill must drive a Land Rover?

I'll have a chat with a friend of mine. His brother works in design at Land Rover, be interesting to see what his take on this idea is.

It has been done using the spare wheel location. The heat store can be any shape or size in theory... They just used that for convenience.

MM - what's "obsolete" about the Inter range of heat exchanges? The efficiency differences between the old and new are pretty slim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back