Best system boiler regardless of cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was fixing my brain on a Viessmann gas boiler to replace my old boiler, but apprehensive about it because of parts afterwards. (Brexit)
Is there a superb boiler made in UK with good ol' British parts made by British people (remember similar to a Viessmann)
Or I'm am I dreaming of such a product?

Sponsored Links
Why German? Surely you dont believe they make quality products?

Cost no option you want a heat only boiler and add a separate vessel, pump, safety valve and gauge.

There are no British parts made boilers..
some boilers are assembled here from parts brought in from all over the World. We might press the metalwork from imported steel but that's about it.

I was fixing my brain on a Viessmann gas boiler to replace my old boiler, but apprehensive about it because of parts afterwards. (Brexit)
Is there a superb boiler made in UK with good ol' British parts made by British people (remember similar to a Viessmann)

Not sure where you get the idea Viessmann are good quality boilers. They break down as often as any other in my experience and parts are generally only available to order, rather than over-the-counter like Vaillant, Worcester etc.

Here comes the anti Viessmann gang...
Extremely happy with my Vitodens 222F B2SB...(2017)
Just find yourself an installer with a decent warehouse supply inventory...
This is how I chose my installer...and lucky for me...he lives less than 5 miles from my place...

Sponsored Links
You're dreaming. No such boiler exists. Money no object, I'd still have an Intergas ECO RF

Last edited:
Here comes the anti Viessmann gang...
Extremely happy with my Vitodens 222F B2SB...(2017)
Just find yourself an installer with a decent warehouse supply inventory...
This is how I chose my installer...and lucky for me...he lives less than 5 miles from my place...

All brands of boilers have their detractors. Yes you are lucky to have an installer with a 'decent warehouse supply inventory'. Could you tell us what company this is that stocks Viessmann parts rather than ordering them in please? Because around here (Reading) there isn't one.

over-the-counter like Vaillant, Worcester etc.

I guess it's a good move to buy a boiler that breaks down so often that spare parts are sold on every street corner, right?

I guess it's a good move to buy a boiler that breaks down so often that spare parts are sold on every street corner, right?

With silly and childish comments like this I now remember why I don't post in here often :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's located in Belgium...You could have guessed by looking at my profile...
I've spent the better part of 2016 inquiring Viessmann...Buderus and Atag installers...
Had one type of boiler of each brand in mind...
Scoured loads of forums just to have an idea about the pros and cons of each system...
I went for the Viessmann...and I have 0 regret about it...
Well...there's one minor actually...
Their Vicare app sucks...BIG TIME...But it's a WIP...so I'm told...
Again...lucky for me...the 'old' Vitotrol+ app still works on my iPhone because I registered before June 2018...

Best boilers,there are some much better than others :mrgreen:

but consider getting the best local installer who can also maintain the boiler through out its warranty period and beyond.

H&C

Best boilers,there are some much better than others :mrgreen:

but consider getting the best local installer who can also maintain the boiler through out its warranty period and beyond.

H&C

Now there's an opinion I wholeheartedly second...

It's located in Belgium...You could have guessed by looking at my profile...
I've spent the better part of 2016 inquiring Viessmann...Buderus and Atag installers...
Had one type of boiler of each brand in mind...
Scoured loads of forums just to have an idea about the pros and cons of each system...
I went for the Viessmann...and I have 0 regret about it...
Well...there's one minor actually...
Their Vicare app sucks...BIG TIME...But it's a WIP...so I'm told...
Again...lucky for me...the 'old' Vitotrol+ app still works on my iPhone because I registered before June 2018...

So your experience of obe Viessmann boiler is supposed to be statistically meaningful to us because ??....

So your experience of obe Viessmann boiler is supposed to be statistically meaningful to us because ??....

Not into statistics...
TS asked for opinions...
I'm just offering mine...
If you don't like it...ignore it...
It's not that hard...
Cheers...

Best central heating means you work from radiator back, so you want a radiator that will respond quickly to demand so it can work well with geofencing, so the matrix needs to be small so it warms up quickly, so looking at fan assisted radiators like the Myson iVector, for this to work efficiently it needs a building management system, and for the building management system to work A1 likely we are looking at a heat store so a small boiler can provide the instant heat required as you approach home. So since using a heat store the boiler will run at a fixed rate on once heat store hits lower limit and off when it hits upper limit so boiler can be rather simple.

However in the real world we use a compromise, and so we don't want best boiler, but some thing near enough. Still looking at control, once not using a heat store, you want boiler to modulate, and if your going to control the boiler modulation with electric system then you need the system your using to integrate with the boiler, so with an open plan house using a single thermostat worcester bosch with Wave may work A1, but if you have rooms with doors then you need a system that combines the needs of the TRV heads to tell the boiler what output is required, so if the boiler is not OpenTherm it's a non starter.

If using the boiler to fill a bath direct then looking at around 28 kW minimum, but a shower direct 18 kW is ample, clearly also depends on losses from the house, but the lower the boiler will modulate to, the less the boiler with cycle so the more constant the temperature and the less heat lost to outside, so if you could get a 4 kW to 18 kW boiler for my house that would be A1, however not seen a boiler that small.

Now to install a boiler you need to be registered as gas safe, and every registered guy will have his favourite supplier and will work with a limited range of boilers, and if he is using a product he knows well he can fault find fast and likely has a stock of parts, so yes ask for an OpenTherm boiler, so it can link to the very best control system, and yes you can even work out what size you require, but if your local supplier does not normally fit worcester bosch then to ask him to fit that make is asking for trouble.

So in the real world you find an installer and use one of the range he normally fits, even if there is a better boiler on the market, so in real terms you may find you only have a chose between worcester bosch and vaillant because that's all your local installer uses, yes there may be better, but any mechanical item will at some point break down, so you want some one that when it does break down they can fix it fast, that means something they keep parts for in stock.

I have romanced many times about the best system, and I know what I have is not the best, my worcester bosch does not have OpenTherm, in fact it will not work with Wave, and the thermostat cycles as it approaches the set temperature and is completely the wrong type, but it has not broken down and if it does I can get a fixed price repair from worcester bosch after one phone call, so although far from best, it is good enough.

You might just as well ask who has the best wife, because you want her. Daft question with no answer.

Just because a manufacturer's marketing ploy is 'we are the best' doesn't make it so.

I'd guess most of the real installers on here could take you to boilers they didn't install, have little regard for as a brand, wouldn't install on a job of their own but the thing has been in and working for 10-20 years without a hitch.

It proves nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back