Binge drinking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This issue is really annoying me because some irresponsible badly behavioured people are using up valuable hospital time and now by their actions the price of drink is going up..
The drink I enjoy would no doubt be classed as one unit and costs from 17 to 19p a can. I have less than one a day. But, if the increase goes ahead I may have to pay 50p a can. For some though the increase is going to be significant.
I thought that it would be better to fine anybody that is in Hospital through drink but many would not want to go in.
I am really livered about this so what do we do to make the binge drinkers pay for their actions ??

Sponsored Links
What's 50p? Hardly here nor there.

Cameron was saying that "Binge Drinking" is ruining Britain's town and city centres.
I say, laws are already in place (drunk in a public place, assault , breach of the peace etc? The only thing these laws need is for MP's to reconsider the punishments. Instead of a measly £30 -£50 fine, increase this to £500 + a curfew for a few months (first offence) and none of this "I'll pay the courts £10 a fortnight nonsense, make it £50 a week if they need time to pay. For subsequent offences (2nd, 3rd etc), increase the fines, introduce community service (100hrs minimum) extend the curfew, and if all else fails, imprison them.
People arrested on a Friday or Saturday night, should be kept in the cells all weekend then first thing Monday morning, their up in court (no excuses about "I have to be at work for 7 o clock" etc) Fine them, impose the curfew and release their names to the local press that week (so they can be named and shamed locally)
Time for us oldies to reclaim town and city centres. Let's show these young un's that drinking can be an enjoyable social occasion. Not one where the idea is to get wrecked as quickly as possible then have a fight, before kebabs on the way home. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Alcohol has been too cheap for years - thanks to Gordie. When you were a young man it wasn't cheap - or you would have been getting legless too.

JJ, I guess they do fine them but that cannot possibly pay for the valuable hospital stay can it? These people got themselves in to this situation and the tax payer is having to pay for it.
I cannot see why the Government have to put up the price of drink to do it.
We should let the Government know it's not on.

Totally agree JJ.....the town near to where I live has been absolutely ruined by binge drinking, it has made it totally unsafe at night, when we first moved here 30 years ago it was a premier resort .... now its just a dump, full of endless pubs and night clubs, it is totally unpleasant for families who wish to walk through the town in the evening.
You are right wreckedit....why shouldn't they pay for hospital treatment when it is so obviously self inflicted....and why should you have to pay for their irresponsibily....no its not right.

Just another excuse to raise government revenue, more to come....... :cry:

If they don't raise tax - then we must borrow more - and go bust ever quicker. The government have no money - they raise it for the PEOPLE. Gedditt yet? It's OUR money - not the governments.

Totally agree JJ.....the town near to where I live has been absolutely ruined by binge drinking, it has made it totally unsafe at night, when we first moved here 30 years ago it was a premier resort .... now its just a dump, full of endless pubs and night clubs, it is totally unpleasant for families who wish to walk through the town in the evening.
You are right wreckedit....why shouldn't they pay for hospital treatment when it is so obviously self inflicted....and why should you have to pay for their irresponsibily....no its not right.

Why, justify it. tax receipts from alcohol, equate to around £7bn per year, it costs the nhs 3bn in alcohol related problems, sounds like a £4bn plus to me.

Same with smoking. generates more tax than it takes.

if you dont agree, supply, stats that back it up.

Why, justify it. tax receipts from alcohol, equate to around £7bn per year, it costs the nhs 3bn in alcohol related problems, sounds like a £4bn plus to me.

What about the working time lost? What about the general poor health of drinkers? What about the families on benefits because the breadwinner is a drunk?

What about the working time lost? What about the general poor health of drinkers? What about the families on benefits because the breadwinner is a drunk?

Why not stick to the original gripe. Fags and Booze serve the NHS handsomely. Also lower pension costs.

and surely Joe, even your deluded brain would understand if it wasn't profitable it would be banned.

Sponsored Links
Back