Binge drinking

and being mentally unchallenged, and not bothering to use ones brains leads to an increase in altzhimers and dementia, covers a lot of folk on here then. Get your cheque books out.

Hmmm, for the record, I work with people suffering from Alzheimers and Demetia. It doesn't matter whether you use your brain or not. Nor whether your IQ is 160 or 60. Some of our residents have led productive and sometimes exciting lives. One was a flight engineer, one a teacher of mathematics. Yet another was an architect (and he's still only 68yrs old).
I resent the attitude that you have to be mentally challenged or not use your brains to contract this debilitating disease and you sir should stop making these assumptions.

then you would well know, that brain stimulation, especially after retirement, is very well documented to help prevent dementia and alzhieimers.

Taken in context, to the thread, then those that don't do that, deserve what they get. yes?

taken in a sensible light, its life, we make choices, good and bad , where do you draw the line.

BTW, I think the work you do, is extremely noble, and I'm sure very fulfilling, and for that I really hand on heart salute you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
basically the SE of england subsidising the rest of the country. If you don't live in the SE, then no! you don't pay your way.

you dont half chat some sh*t EddieM

More than 50% of Englands wealth is generated in the SE incl London. The rest sponge.

and you would know about that!....

ooooooooooooooo im from the SE....im soooooooooooooooo much better than you lot......b*llocks......

id rather b skint in the North than have my head stuck firmly up my own backside down south!!!!!!.....

EddieM";p="2300223 said:
Hmmm, for the record, I work with people suffering from Alzheimers and Demetia.

then you would well know, that brain stimulation, especially after retirement, is very well documented to help prevent dementia and alzhieimers.

Taken in context, to the thread, then those that don't do that, deserve what they get. yes?

What utter b******s Eddie. Shows how little you know of Alzheimers and Dementia and what causes them.
Do you really think people get old, retire and suddenly stop using their brains?
I'd like to see a link to the evidence between keeping the brain active and the incidence of Dementia.
There may well be anecdotal evidence, but certainly no studies have been done to confirm any link between those who keep their mind active and those who don't and Dementia/Alzheimers.
(How does one not keep the brain active anyway?)
How would this explain Early onset Dementia?? (which can affect people in their early 50's)

joinerjohn";p="2300301 said:
Hmmm, for the record, I work with people suffering from Alzheimers and Demetia.

What utter b******s Eddie. Shows how little you know of Alzheimers and Dementia and what causes them.
Do you really think people get old, retire and suddenly stop using their brains?
I'd like to see a link to the evidence between keeping the brain active and the incidence of Dementia.
There may well be anecdotal evidence, but certainly no studies have been done to confirm any link between those who keep their mind active and those who don't and Dementia/Alzheimers.
(How does one not keep the brain active anyway?)
How would this explain Early onset Dementia?? (which can affect people in their early 50's)

You just work for them, have no medical training, probably no scientific training, and therefore probably know nothing about it whatsoever. why would i even listen to you. do you actually know anything about it medically, i.e what causes it?? if so pray tell.

we all pay for things we perhaps don't have to basically the SE of england subsidising the rest of the country. If you don't live in the SE, then no! you don't pay your way.[/quote]

I dont suppose you could lend me a fiver.

basically the SE of england subsidising the rest of the country. If you don't live in the SE, then no! you don't pay your way.

you dont half chat some sh*t EddieM

More than 50% of Englands wealth is generated in the SE incl London. The rest sponge.
Including London :!: . It`s that poxy ill located capital that buggers up the rest of the S.E - we are covered with dormitory towns and fake villages :rolleyes: Sussex, the Dead Centre of England . I wish my ancestors had stayed in Norfolk :LOL:

So because tax is raised on alcohol...does that justify the 3 billion that then has to be spent by the NHS, does that make it acceptable.

I fail to see your logic here at all.

We charge 7 billion in alcohol tax, a tax several hundred percent higher than for other goods, and then you suggest it's not acceptable to use less than half of this tax to cover the cost of alcahol treatment.

jackie.jpg

Maybe you think the drunken louts should have to pay for their own treatment or for damage caused under the influence (as if they are somehow not doing this by paying it in alcohol tax)?

But then exactly what is your justification then for high alcohol tax other than wanting to control other peoples behaviour based on your own puritanical desires?

If we are going to tax alcohol to pay for it's damage, then alcohol tax should be half of what it is.

What about the working time lost?

What about it?

Firstly that's between the worker and the employer, nothing to do with government or tax.

Secondly sports injuries and DIY injuries are a major cause of "sickness", yet I don't see 300% taxes on ladders drills or sports shoes.

What about the general poor health of drinkers?

"Germany needs the strength of every single man for the development of its national and economic freedom. Therefore, no German has the right to impair his strength through alcohol abuse. Such action is detrimental not only to himself, but to his family, and above all, to his people.

Heinrich Himmler, SS leader 1938."

What about the families on benefits because the breadwinner is a drunk?

Oh, you are one of those people that believe normal hard-working people are turned bad by "The Demon Drink".

AronSearle";p="2300738 said:
So because tax is raised on alcohol...does that justify the 3 billion that then has to be spent by the NHS, does that make it acceptable.

I fail to see your logic here at all.

We charge 7 billion in alcohol tax, a tax several hundred percent higher than for other goods, and then you suggest it's not acceptable to use less than half of this tax to cover the cost of alcahol treatment.

Maybe you think the drunken louts should have to pay for their own treatment or for damage caused under the influence (as if they are somehow not doing this by paying it in alcohol tax)?

But then exactly what is your justification then for high alcohol tax other than wanting to control other peoples behaviour based on your own puritanical desires?
Its unfortunate that my comment made you see it necessary to tear your hair out...fortunately we live in a free country where we do not all have to be of the same opinion.
As I understand it the tax is not there simply to provide hospital treatment for alcohol abuse ... yes I do think that drunken louts should be made to pay for their hospital treatment.
Personally I have no desire to control anyone...in fact I advocate freedom of choice totally.
However something has to be done to tackle increasing number of young people who are destroying their lives by addiction to alcohol at an increasingly young age, speaking for my own local town it has been ruined by binge drinking youngsters...they have turned a beautiful family resort in a premium location into a no go zone at night....I personally choose not to like that.

puritanical [ˌpjʊərɪˈtænɪkəl] less commonly, puritanic
adj
1. Usually disparaging strict in moral or religious outlook, esp in shunning sensual pleasures.

No I am most certainly not puritanical maybe you chose the wrong word

yes I do think that drunken louts should be made to pay for their hospital treatment.

Which they already do through alcohol tax x2.

So are you advocating that we should lower alcohol tax, and then have the NHS charge at the point of use?

Or that people should be charged 3 times for using the same service?

What about people who get bad joints due to sports injuries, diabetes due to poor diets, accidents due to poor health and safety practice, drug related sickness, Aids........

Oh sorry, it's just the drinkers is it?

Personally I have no desire to control anyone...in fact I advocate freedom of choice totally.

<Snip>

I personally choose not to like that.

puritanical [&#716;pj&#650;&#601;r&#618;&#712;tæn&#618;k&#601;l] less commonly, puritanic
adj
1. Usually disparaging strict in moral or religious outlook, esp in shunning sensual pleasures.

No I am most certainly not puritanical maybe you chose the wrong word

2. Precise in observance of legal or religious requirements; strict; overscrupulous; rigid; - often used by way of reproach or contempt.

However something has to be done to tackle increasing number of young people who are destroying their lives by addiction to alcohol at an increasingly young age

Do you actually have any statistics to back up this sun paper headline?

Like./......

drinking%2Bprevalence%2B2008.jpg

and

consumption.PNG

Sponsored Links
Back