Binge drinking

Heck, anything that's "accidental" like sporting injuries, (or RTA's or falling off ladders etc) , shouldn't be charged for, but certainly morbidly obese people, should be charged for any treatment related to their being morbidly obese. Drunks should be charged for "all" treatment received at A&E when they turn up (or are brought in unconscious) The bill can be sent out after the treatment.
I bet some bright spark is now going to bring up the cost of cancer treatment. For smokers, if proven to be smoking related (eg lung cancer) then I'm sure a charge should be levied for "effective " treatment, but someone who perhaps only smokes 5 or 10 cigarettes a day who subsequently gets prostrate cancer, probably shouldn't be charged.
You have to remember there are many variables connected with different diseases. Alcoholics suffering cirrhosis of the liver should be charged as should 40 a day smokers with lung cancer, but a child suffering cancer shouldn't be charged.
Mind you, medical scientists could probably find some statistical link between the incidence of brain cancer and the amount of Big Mac's or KFC eaten in one's lifetime. Should we then impose a tax on fast food?

what a load of *******s! someone who falls off a ladder, climbing to heights is dangerous, someone who smokes 5 -10 a day, oh please get real, where is the line gonna be drawn, you really havent thought this through at all have you?

Sponsored Links
I'll start making my trips back to France again and Stuff the UK economy. It's every man for himself. I'm sick and tired of having to pick up the tab for those in society who cannot control themselves.

Why, justify it. tax receipts from alcohol, equate to around £7bn per year, it costs the nhs 3bn in alcohol related problems, sounds like a £4bn plus to me.

Same with smoking. generates more tax than it takes.

if you dont agree, supply, stats that back it up.

So because tax is raised on alcohol...does that justify the 3 billion that then has to be spent by the NHS, does that make it acceptable.
Is it specifically raised just to treat drunks attending hospital....would that 3 billion not be better spent on research and cancer drugs that could prolong the life of people who really need it and improve the quality of life for people who are genuinely sick.

Sorry to burst you're perfect world bubble, but that's not how it works, its all about cold hard cash!

Well EddieM, You seem to think people climb ladders just for laughs now, not to actually do any work.
Hows about this to please you. We do away with the NHS altogether and have to have medical insurance, to cover the costs of any treatment (even visiting your GP would be chargeable I'm afraid) WTG, all our problems solved overnight, Insurance cover would have to be set by the government though, so insurance companies couldn't start ripping people off. Of course, NI contributions would have to drop as no government (sorry our) money would be spent on the NHS (which would cease to exist).
Absolute heaven,,, No insurance,,, No treatment.. No argument over who pays for what condition
Suit you sir?

Sponsored Links
Well EddieM, You seem to think people climb ladders just for laughs now, not to actually do any work.
Hows about this to please you. We do away with the NHS altogether and have to have medical insurance, to cover the costs of any treatment (even visiting your GP would be chargeable I'm afraid) WTG, all our problems solved overnight, Insurance cover would have to be set by the government though, so insurance companies couldn't start ripping people off. Of course, NI contributions would have to drop as no government (sorry our) money would be spent on the NHS (which would cease to exist).
Absolute heaven,,, No insurance,,, No treatment.. No argument over who pays for what condition
Suit you sir?

err, we have it in place already it's called NI.

The prime minister is temperamentally opposed to regulatory solutions to health issues, favouring so-called nudge economics, but has acknowledged that the ban on smoking in public places has worked.
Right so BAN DRUNKS IN PUBLIC PLACES THEN! I don't go out causing a nuisance etc so why should I have to pay more for the fault of the few? LEAVE THE PRICE OF ALCOHOL ALONE!

I repeat, I'm sick and tired of picking up the tab for those in society who cannot control themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/15/david-cameron-minimum-price-alcohol?CMP=twt_fd

The prime minister is temperamentally opposed to regulatory solutions to health issues, favouring so-called nudge economics, but has acknowledged that the ban on smoking in public places has worked.
Right so BAN DRUNKS IN PUBLIC PLACES THEN! I don't go out causing a nuisance etc so why should I have to pay more for the fault of the few? LEAVE THE PRICE OF ALCOHOL ALONE!

I repeat, I'm sick and tired of picking up the tab for those in society who cannot control themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/...eron-minimum-price-alcohol?CMP=twt_fd[/QUOTE]

in the broader sense of things its called society, something maggie T denounced as being defunct. we all pay for things we perhaps don't have to basically the SE of england subsidising the rest of the country. If you don't live in the SE, then no! you don't pay your way.

Governments don't work.

If they can't fix it, they tax it more! :eek:

and being mentally unchallenged, and not bothering to use ones brains leads to an increase in altzhimers and dementia, covers a lot of folk on here then. Get your cheque books out.

Hey Eddie - here's another 2 billion for you.

http://www.workplacelaw.net/content/10975[/QUOTE]

errr.... "only four out of ten employers believe that alcohol and drug misuse causes significant employee absence and lost productivity in the workplace. "

Shows how dumb they are then.

So you post a link to validate your argument, then say say it shows how dumb they are. I think we all can work out who the dumb one is here.

err. that's you. in case you were too dumb to work that out.

and being mentally unchallenged, and not bothering to use ones brains leads to an increase in altzhimers and dementia, covers a lot of folk on here then. Get your cheque books out.
Do you have an issue with grammar/spelling Eddie?

Hmmm, for the record, I work with people suffering from Alzheimers and Demetia. It doesn't matter whether you use your brain or not. Nor whether your IQ is 160 or 60. Some of our residents have led productive and sometimes exciting lives. One was a flight engineer, one a teacher of mathematics. Yet another was an architect (and he's still only 68yrs old).
I resent the attitude that you have to be mentally challenged or not use your brains to contract this debilitating disease and you sir should stop making these assumptions.

Hey Eddie - here's another 2 billion for you.

http://www.workplacelaw.net/content/10975[/QUOTE]

errr.... "only four out of ten employers believe that alcohol and drug misuse causes significant employee absence and lost productivity in the workplace. "

Shows how dumb they are then.

So you post a link to validate your argument, then say say it shows how dumb they are. I think we all can work out who the dumb one is here.

err. that's you. in case you were too dumb to work that out.

You are that dumb you actually believe you are intelligent - how dumb is that? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry to burst you're perfect world bubble, but that's not how it works, its all about cold hard cash!

No Eddie I do not live in a perfect world bubble...I am perfectly capable of facing reality....but just because something happens does not always make it right or acceptable, nor does it mean that I have to agree with it.

Sponsored Links
Back