Boiler Service - What fun! 7 hours and limited response from Intergas

Digression is my middle name so don’t worry about that.

Despite the current situation, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the IG Rapid 32.

My plumber mate when he installed it had nothing good to say about it at that time. But I know he’s ‘dyed in the wool’.

Dare I say he’s not the brightest of chaps as he did suffer a head injury when he was 19 but he’s not been accessory to killing anyone from CO poisoning as far as I know.

Some of the things he says to me do worry me. He has his gas safe annual test or renewal or whatever he has to do in January.

The conflicting information I get from IG and him makes me wonder who to believe.

He seems to think cleaning out the heat exchanger won’t let improve the readings.

I’m no expert but I’m thinking if there is some kind of detritus in or on the burner then it surely cannot burn as efficiently as it should do.

I know how adjustments affect CO on a car engine. A boiler is just a more refined, more efficient entity.

I hope it’s something as simple as that.

Worst case scenario IG come out and sort it under warranty or not. It’s not worth taking any risks where gas is concerned hence my concern that things are not 100% (even though it’s only an efficiency issue).

The difference having this new boiler has made compared to the old bombproof thing that was installed is incredible.

Why deliberate anymore? We’ll all be changing our boilers by 2030 anyway!!!!

Who knows the government might even give away air source heat pumps nearer the time or subsidise them ridiculously well.

There's an old thread discussing build up inside an IG heat exchanger which might provide some useful info - link below.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/intergas-eco-rf-vs-hre.490416/page-13

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Since when ? never seen or heard of one failing

You're joking...I cut up one of the earliest failures and posted the dissection on gas-news...that was around 2007 AFAIR....one of the million O rings inside had failed.
The main failing is the ease at which a coil bundles can block due to the parallel nature of construction...so many kettle and rarely can they be recovered.
I inherited BG330...even at a 1/3 kW output is kettles and no amount of cleaning can restore it.
Now if boiler manufacturers weren't so greedy that wouldn't be a problem but the extortionate replacement cost (for a part that costs well under £50 to manufacture) results in a written off boiler in most cases.

You're joking...I cut up one of the earliest failures and posted the dissection on gas-news...that was around 2007 AFAIR....one of the million O rings inside had failed.
The main failing is the ease at which a coil bundles can block due to the parallel nature of construction...so many kettle and rarely can they be recovered.
I inherited BG330...even at a 1/3 kW output is kettles and no amount of cleaning can restore it.
Now if boiler manufacturers weren't so greedy that wouldn't be a problem but the extortionate replacement cost (for a part that costs well under £50 to manufacture) results in a written off boiler in most cases.
I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back